Fiat Punto MK2 from 2000

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Fiat Punto MK2 from 2000

Post by redbeben on November 3rd 2013, 6:39 pm

Hi,

Started to paint my missy's little car as it already had a damaged door and she managed to reshape the rest of the car in the garage.
Went for the cheapest job and cheapest paint and tools.I have time and patience so preparing the car was not a problem.Spent 3 days on fillings and sanding,filling and sanding and being the first car I do I took the hard way in sanding....used 80 grit on a ton of filler and took ages.
Only today I finally discovered the 60 grit and saw the miracle Smile

So....3 days of work so far,door still not done (needs more filling) but I am proud to say that I rebuilt the body line of the back fenders that missy bent over and over again on all corners she could find lol! 

A few hours ago I applied the first coat of the cheapest paint I could find (some 5 bucks for a 375 ml can) and I am pleased to see that it leaves little orange peel and it shines nicely.I used 20% thinner and with just 80 ml of paint I finished the hood and half of one door(to see the mistakes and refill tmr).

I intend to apply what I read here as in 2 coats of paint,sand with 600 then 2 more coats and sand 800,2 more coats and 1200 and after last 2 coats another 2000 grit.Will wait 2 weeks and hope for sunny weather to bake it a bit before last sanding.
As in buffing I think I will use 2 more clear coats,bake it again and buff only those ones instead of the paint.Will see how it feels after 8 coats.

In the meanwhile I am doing the inside of the car and soundproof it with ... rooftop sealer which is great and intend to redo the seats.

Will upload pictures asap.
redbeben
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2013-10-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Fiat Punto MK2 from 2000

Post by redbeben on November 4th 2013, 1:03 pm

Another day of work on the body and still have to use primer on the right side of the car and the rooftop.Will do in a couple of hours as I am dead after 6 hours of sanding the old paint and the new filler.

Costs so far(I live in Spain).

4 sprays of 400 ml of primer:2 from an auto shop and cost me 12 EUR a can and 2 more from a general store and cost me 4.5 EUR each.Total for primer 33 EUR.

Sand paper -2.5 EUR all of it so far

Filler-3 small cans :24 EUR

Paint-1 can of 375 -4 EUR

Thinner-1 can of 1 liter-2 EUR

Total : 65.5 EUR

This is less than what they cover here for one painted fender.

Will upload pictures as I took some here and there Smile
redbeben
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by redbeben on November 4th 2013, 5:43 pm

Spent 45 min more on another coat on the hood.Had to drive my other car and could not help it when I saw the little Punto there all alone.

Sanded the hood some more with 600 and rolled the paint on a bit more thinner like in 40/60....which makes the paint too thin and creates bubbles....they vanish in a few secs but this means I have to go back to 20/80 ratio as stated on the paint can Smile

2 coats and to be honest even after first one I had full coverage but I used primer all over.
Will see tmr how it looks and I hope for good weather.TOday I had strong winds and 20 C only which affect both primer and paint.
redbeben
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by redbeben on November 5th 2013, 6:21 pm

So today I had already 3 coats on the hood and finally applied first coat on the rest of the car.Awesome results on the hood as it looks like a proper car now.Friends were taking pictures of it.I was lazy to do the second coat on the car and only did the 4th on the hood and I see it crappy as I changed the roller Sad

Forgot to mention that I sanded the hood with 320 after the 2nd coat...600 is not enough.

Little by little I'll finish it by next week.

redbeben
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeeptj on November 9th 2013, 2:43 pm

waiting for pic use to have one of those cars last year till an accident.
Jeeptj
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2012-04-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by redbeben on November 11th 2013, 10:10 am

finally the pictures.It takes ages for me to upload them photobucket and then here.

today I coated the car for the 5th time after 600 grit sanding.horrible job to sand a car.It took me more than 3 hours and I did not cover all spots.

day by day I learn new stuff in regards to paint.
If till coat 4 I was draying the roller for good now I find it easier to use it with more paint and more thinner.The thinner the paint the better the spread and better coverage.today we have 30 C here and this will help a lot.

in 4 hours I will apply the 6th coat and tmr morning sanding 800 grit and 2 more coats of paint.....followed by 1000-1200 grit sanding and 2 more coats and last 2 paint coats,2000 grit and cut and polish.I hope that by the end of the week I'll have all painting finished and then 1-2 weeks of cooking the paint in the sun.

so,this being said here are the pictures from the bodywork and first coat,second coat,first sanding,3rd coat and original paint with the orange peel that was present Smile

bodywork done before applying the primer all over the car

first coat

second coat

second coat sanding with 320 grit.burnt through paint in some areas

third coat of paint better coverage and better colour.the more coats the darker the colour gets

original colour and orange peel

redbeben
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by redbeben on November 15th 2013, 10:56 am

Done.It took me 14 days from start to finish and I did work 6-8 h a day on it.It was a fun project but hard work and still I am not very pleased with the finished look...enough is never enough.

Anyway I have 10 coats of paint out of which the last 2 are paper thin which makes the paint dull but cool Smile I would keep it this way but missy wants it glossy.

Now comes the question....when can I sand it with 2000 grit and buff it ? How many days should I leave it to cure ? I've read 2-3 days,2 weeks or 1 month.So...when should I do the dirty job?

For now I am cleaning the plastics,windows and rest as despite the covers some paint still ran there .

Will have some pics later and upload them

redbeben
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Hillbilly on December 2nd 2013, 3:35 pm

The longer it can cure, the better. Warmer climate is better too.
Tommy Hillbilly
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 596
Project : 1988 Mustang GT convertible
Registration date : 2010-10-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by redbeben on December 2nd 2013, 6:13 pm

Hi Tommy,

THanks for the reply,I intend to wait for 1 month to wax it.For sanding I started 2 weeks after final coat and still not finished.
I am 1 month and 3 days in this project already and there is one step forwards and 2 backwards.

I started on the hood with 1200 grid directly.Worn my hands off trying to remove the orange peel,left some ugly areas with orange and buffed with wool and 3 types of foam pads and I must say I have the glossy-est hood in the world.It even has some nice shades the paint and it looks like a deep river when you look into it(I guess the paint was not spread evenly during the first coats).Now I am really thinking to paint a second car with some ''defects'' in the first coats that will reflect as ghost images when buffing.

With the hood done I jumped on the fenders and doors,got lazy,tried to buff with wool pad,different speeds and nothing worked.Now back to good old hand sanding all the orange peel.

I guess the paint I have is a tough one Smile)))

Working with 1200 grit I figured out it would take me some years to finish so I took the 600 grit and amazingly I finished one fender and door in only 4 hours.
I buffed it with 3 foam pads and 3 compounds,it looks shiny but shitty.Full of scratches when in full sun( in the garage all fine).There is no gloss in it Sad

So...today I took a 800 grit,sanded again,took 1200 sanded some more and took 2000 and sanded the hell out of it.Buffed it and deep gloss is back.

I took it on the hood to remove the orange left here and there and will do it one part of the car a day just to keep my mind safe from blowing the fuses.

One fender takes me 1 hour to complete on all stages-600,800,1200,2000 and buffing.

Tmr will buy some 1000 grit and a 3000 so I don't cut too much with the buffer.

It's just I've been working so long so far and I want it finished properly and not just as missy said ''anyway it looks better that it did before'' =))))))))

redbeben
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by redbeben on December 4th 2013, 4:26 pm

back to square 1....bought a stupid rubber sand block to make it even on the surface and it left me deep scratches on the hood.tried grits to remove them,buffed with wool pad and still visible.....so one more coat of paint now.tmr sanding all over again Sad
redbeben
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by betanceiro on December 8th 2013, 3:10 am

Hi redbeben, good work, congratulations!!! I've read you're from Spain like me so I wanna ask you about the brand of the paint you used for your work. Could you tell me please? Thanks in advance and greetings from Galicia.
betanceiro
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 13
Job/hobbies : DIY works
Project : Should I paint my Citroen C15 van?
Registration date : 2013-07-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by redbeben on December 10th 2013, 6:36 pm

betanceiro wrote:Hi redbeben, good work, congratulations!!! I've read you're from Spain like me so I wanna ask you about the brand of the paint you used for your work. Could you tell me please? Thanks in advance and greetings from Galicia.

hola desde Malaga Smile

well the paint I used is the cheapest one from a chinese shop(chino where they have all you want) and it is a red bermellon(only 2 types of this colour in the world as in bermellon from china and bermellon in holland....found out later)

brand of the paint is Valmil or Valpil,will check tmr and post it and with a photo of it.You can use as well Titanlux from any ferreteria but it will be a bit more expensive(6-7 eur for 750 ml can) or you can buy the cheapest one you can find in the chinese shop but please make sure to buy at least 2-3 liters of it(2 to use on the car and one to save for later repairs as in chinese shop now you find the paint and tmr it is gone)

It's always good to have some extra paint in a can that you can simply fill it in a spray later and repair small scratches or dents Wink

By the way,if you buy a paint from chinese shop even if it has a colour code you will not find it for sure.I have red 531 and could not find it anywhere else.On Titanlux on the other side it is easier to find it but I heard the quality is not that good on cars...don;t know why.

I will make you a list of products you need so you skip the testing as I spent some time and money for things I did not use or did not work....like rolls that were made for house paint and not one where you use solvents and in 2 seconds the roll falls from the stick Sad

and tmr is the day I will finish the car after 1 month and 11 days(working 2-3 hours a day in the last 2 weeks and nearly 6-7 in the first part).It all depends on the time you have and friends to keep you company Smile If you have a good light in the garage even faster

redbeben
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by betanceiro on December 11th 2013, 4:35 am

Thank you redbeben for your reply. I'll look for that brand and buy one can for test it. Althoug I was thinking about using Hempel's paints. I'm not sure yet about using a paint for boats or another for industrial containers and finish with cristal varnish. Polyenamel or Brilliant Gloss paints cost about 24 €/can and Diamond Varnish about 32 €/can

By now I applied two coats of water based Hempel's primer in October and I'll wait the spring for painting cause the cold and wet weather is not the best for painting.
betanceiro
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by redbeben on December 11th 2013, 5:21 pm

betanceiro wrote:Thank you redbeben for your reply. I'll look for that brand and buy one can for test it. Althoug I was thinking about using Hempel's paints. I'm not sure yet about using a paint for boats or another for industrial containers and finish with cristal varnish. Polyenamel or Brilliant Gloss paints cost about 24 €/can and Diamond Varnish about 32 €/can

By now I applied two coats of water based Hempel's primer in October and I'll wait the spring for painting cause the cold and wet weather is not the best for painting.

hi there,

today I finished the punto finally Smile and it was a bad day.first I ran out of gas on the way to a garage with better light,then battery died on me and at last the buffer died when I was half way through....I don't know if it was the price of the buffer or I was only unlucky today.

In regards to the paints now.I used a paint that has no lead in it just to be on the eco side and picked up one in a chinese shop not knowing the real color as on the lid all red paints looked the same  Laughing 

I used 2 small cans of 375 ml and one big 750 one so roughly 1.5 liters of paint.I saved a big 750 can unopened for later repairs.

Half way in the work I was thinking that a cheap paint like this will scratch very easy and only auto paints are designed to last at high speeds and sand flying on the car but I was all but wrong.After 1 week the paint was still very easy to scratch by nail so I was devastated.After 1 month....well.....it took me many days of sanding as the paint once cured for 1 month gets so hard you can't even scratch it.

In terms of gloss now-sanded the final coat (I had 10 coats in total) with 600 then 1200 then figured out that I cannot skip grits so went back to 800 then 1000 then 1200 then 2000 and 2500 before buffing with wool pad then orange foam pad then green foam pad and finally black foam pad.

The result is a gloss and wet look far better than any factory paint job.The dept of color is so big it will turn heads on the street.Too bad my prep work on the sanding was not that good and some scratches were not covered by the paint and I can still see them from close range.

Anyway the looks on my wife's face worth all the time spent...she was jumping around it and smiling a lot.

Will take some photos tmr and upload them with all materials and final looks and some tips and tricks from my experience
redbeben
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by maximus7001 on March 3rd 2014, 3:34 am

Would like to see some nice pics of your project now that it is completed.
maximus7001
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2013-09-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by redbeben on May 15th 2014, 4:43 pm

Hi all and sorry for delay.Car was finished long time ago....sort of...but I had no time to post pics nor means as my phone broke down twice,had to recover the photos

Car is now 6 months old with new paint and still shiny and is harder than stone.I just don't have anymore time to finish the inside for now as I started a detailing buisiness (being so good at cleaning and restoring cars)and customers are first.

So a summary:
nearly 2 months for the total process(preparation,painting,sanding,curing,polishing,waxing) and to be honest I would do it again but only with proper tools like proper foam rollers that do not turn into sausage when in contact with dissolvent......and they are pretty hard to find here.

Basically if you have a good one you can use it several times if you clean it after each job but with a shitty one you use and dump.Now I paint the fender of a minivan and I throw away the roller after each use....

It would be good to use a paint that resists UV or a clear coat that protects in case the car does not sleep in a garage.Mine has the shittiest paint on but sleeps in a garage day and night.

Anyway,here are the last pics during last sanding,washing,first buffer test on front fender then final product.Obviously there are plenty of paint marks left (paint dust from sanding)as I do not wash the car with water or under pressure and I was waaay to lazy to clean all back then so it took me ages to clean it all....and I can still see some marks even now.
Would I do it again? YES as there is no painting shop here in Spain where I live that can do such a mirror finish job for a decent price.For 700-1000 EUR all they offer is a 2 coats paint (if you are lucky),drips of clear coat all over and orange peel that can be seen from the moon.

[img]
[/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

redbeben
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by betanceiro on May 21st 2014, 3:19 am

Congratulations redbeben!!!! Your work has a very very very professional finish. The Punto shines better than many new cars and I'm sure that you should be and you are proud of your work.

I'm waiting for the good wheater that's near to come here on the north to continue with my project. Hope to be on the way the next month and finish before summer goes away in september.

To confirm what redbeben says about prices, here in Galicia, on the north-west of Spain, the painting shop where I asked for price for painting my little van offered me the full paint (including the color change) for 1.800 euros, about 2.300 u$s, too much for a 18 years olr car that can be buyed for less than 700 euros.

betanceiro
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by redbeben on May 23rd 2014, 9:56 am

Hi,

Thank you for the kind words.Now I am painting the fender of one Ford focus Cmax and with the good weather and temperature above 24 C I can apply paint every 2 hours Smile

The only regret I have with my car is that I did not paint some stories on it with an aerograph as it would have been great.Only found out later how to do it and I am painting a small gremlin on this fender now(ssstt....the owner does not know it yet Smile) )

I have a maxi scooter and I will paint it with all kind of aerographs on it and make it one of a kind.

Here are the basic lessons in case you want to custom paint the hood or the back cabin of your car.Step by step lessons http://howtoairbrush.com/airbrush-lessons/ and it is cheap to do it on your own.

One advice I can give you is to remove the headlights,bumpers,door handles and antenna.Basically all plastic parts that will get in your roller's way as it will be a mess to mask them with tape and a mess to clean them after.Another important thing is to buy masking tape from a car paint or online.It is 4 Eur for 30 m but you get the insurance it will not leave any glue marks when you take it off like all the chinese 70 cents one do.

If you can detach the back cabin and do it separately even better if not again buy some foam brushes that can take dissolvent as you will need them to paint the corners where rollers don't fit in.

When you finish it you can just rent a buffing machine (pulidora) for 10-15 eur a day from a Leroy Merlin or any other brico shop or buy a buffing kit that has the machine,3 polish bottles,3 foam pads and it is some 140-160 Eur and you will have it forever Smile

You car will look nice for sure.If you have some time and money to invest in some second hand alloy wheels it would be awesome.(you can find on coches.net in accesories or on milanuncios.es if you look for C15)I changed my original ones with the ones you see in the pictures and they were 160EUR with 2 new tires and 2 tires at 70% Smile

for any other thing just drop me a note here and maybe we can meet this summer with our cars Smile
redbeben
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeeptj on June 24th 2014, 8:57 am

looks good wish my punto looked that nice.
Jeeptj
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2012-04-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top