Xylene vs. mineral spirits

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Xylene vs. mineral spirits

Post by Jim G on March 22nd 2014, 1:04 pm

Hey all. I'm in the testing stage of my project and am going to try to spray on Rustoleum Top Side. The instructions on the can say to thin with mineral spirits. It then goes on to say if spraying to thin with xylene. So what is the difference between the two thinners. Will I have issues if I thin with mineral spirits for spraying? I'm not trying to go against what the directions say on the label, just wondering what the difference is.
Jim G
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 10
Job/hobbies : telecommunications / cars
Project : 64' Falcon convertible
Registration date : 2011-06-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Xylene vs. mineral spirits

Post by Nomad427 on June 22nd 2014, 11:03 am

I've been using Rustoleum on late '50s early '60s vintage fiberglass boats and trailers for awhile. Not one to always follow manufacturers directions here is my formula for spraying. My formula is 1-1/2 cups Acetone, 1/4 cup Hardener 1 Quart Rustoleum. I shoot it with a HVLP gun with a 2.0 mm tip,a 1.5 works as well. I use Valspars acrylic enamel hardener.It goes on smoothly, dries in 4 hours and shines like the sun. Two coats and you're good to go. If you spray with the hardener be sure to wear a full face respirator with proper filter cartridges. I'll try my luck at uploading a photo of a '59 Falls Flyer I did for a friend recently.  Want colors you can mix your own using Artist Acrylic Oil Paint. Any color in the Rainbow. Takes a little practice to get the tint you want but you can do it[img]

Last edited by Nomad427 on June 24th 2014, 1:02 pm; edited 2 times in total
Nomad427
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 12
Job/hobbies : Ultimate Recycler of old iron and fiberglassics
Project : '74 D100 stepside shorty
Registration date : 2014-06-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nomad427 on June 22nd 2014, 11:21 am

I guess I need to re-read how to post photos....again. Not done in my shop but a space the owner rented.
" />

" />

This is just after we pulled the masking paper from doing the red accent and a couple weeks after shooting the Rustoleum Topside white uncut and not buffed.

" />

Last edited by Nomad427 on June 30th 2014, 11:19 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added photos after probation period)
Nomad427
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 12
Job/hobbies : Ultimate Recycler of old iron and fiberglassics
Project : '74 D100 stepside shorty
Registration date : 2014-06-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content