Project '74 Dodge D100

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Project '74 Dodge D100

Post by Nomad427 on July 2nd 2014, 4:22 pm

Greetings from the beautiful Pacific Northwest, Washington State. I have been painting classic '50s early '60s fiberglass boats with Rustoleum, Rustoleum Topside for a few years now with great results and while researching Rustoleum painted cars & trucks came across a link to this site. My background is with hot rods & Harleys but got into fiberglassic boats about 10 yrs ago where I was introduced to Rustoleum painting by the roll & tip method as well as spraying, my preference.I am also a semi retired ASE master tech. I say semi retired because I don't think I have ever been busier than now. I am amazed and appreciative of the paint job successes that I have seen on these pages. I went through all 14 pages while waiting to be able to post photos. I likely will not be rolling the Dodge due to time and my lack of patience but have another project waiting that will give it a try. I have never been very good at documenting the progress of my projects because it took time away and patience is not a virtue I possess. As this is my 1st Rustoleum paint job on one of my drivers but since so many shared their experience here I thought maybe I should try this time.
In addition to the Dodge project I volunteered to help a friend build a '55 Chevy 4dr that his son, who lives in Amish country PA,  purchased here in WA. This car will also be sprayed with Rustoleum with hardener added. The car was originally purchased from someone who apparently wanted to do a frame off restoration with no knowledge of what was involved so what was delivered to us was a full sized model kit car as blown a part as a new car starting life at the front of an assembly plant. To date the car body has been been put on a rotisserie, it arrived with the body unbolted to the frame, the frame, the bottom,interior floor ceiling & trunk ground and brushed with Professional Rustoleum Gloss Black. You would be hard pressed to guess that other than the frame they were brush painted because the Rustoleum flows out so well. The frame was sprayed. The car is basically rust free except for a small area on the passenger side floorboard that was cut out and a section from another tri-5 parts car was welded in it's place. The frame is mostly back together and the body is awaiting the minimal body work it requires by another sucker friend who  volunteer his services. The color combo he chose ( this week) is white and smoke gray. Hope you enjoy the photos and look for photos of the Project Dodge in it's own thread.
Melanie
On day ONE
" />  
Bottoms up
" />
" />
" />
" />
" />
" />
" />
" />

Nomad427
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 12
Job/hobbies : Ultimate Recycler of old iron and fiberglassics
Project : '74 D100 stepside shorty
Registration date : 2014-06-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Project '74 Dodge D100

Post by 63Falconconvert on July 3rd 2014, 8:12 am

Wow very nice. Welcome to Rolled On. Your knowledge will be greatly appreciated. 55 4 doors are one of my favorite cars. I have owned 2 57 Chevy's but never a 55. Its on my bucket list. It HAS to be a 6 cylinder 3 on the tree. Turquoise with a white roof.

63Falconconvert
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1258
Job/hobbies : Sales welding supplies
Project : 1963 Falcon Convertible
Registration date : 2009-04-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nomad427 on July 3rd 2014, 1:10 pm

Thanks for the welcome Bob. Except for the turquoise w/white top that is how this '55 started life as, 6cyl 3spd w/overdrive. It only had 67,000 on the odometer and would have been nice to restore back to original condition. But his son is trying to bring back memories of a car his dad had that he still has photos of and was his fav of all the tri-5 Chevys we all owned back in the day in So. CA. He is going with a small block stroker motor w/turbo 400. We're hoping to have it ready for him to fly out and pick it up before the snow flies back east. Hope he has enough money left to pay for the gas it's going to take. As to my knowledge, ha, we are D-I-Yers like most here and that is what I like about what I've seen here.

Nomad427
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 12
Job/hobbies : Ultimate Recycler of old iron and fiberglassics
Project : '74 D100 stepside shorty
Registration date : 2014-06-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 12:25 am

Sponsored content