Project Bob's Truck

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Project Bob's Truck

Post by Nomad427 on July 2nd 2014, 7:32 pm

After chasing CL ads for a tow vehicle for our vintage Aladdin travel trailer and being disappointed with less than truthful representations of condition we decided to fix-up / restore my stepdad's neglected '74 Dodge D100 Custom stepside short box.Our little Ford Ranger 3.0 4x4 stepside just doesn't  have enough  horses to pull the trailer over the mountains. Since inheriting it many years ago it has been the family pick up for various odd jobs and hasn't received  the attention it deserves. It's always been called Bob's Truck and will remain so. The passenger side floorboard was swiss cheese with rust so I bought a pan and fired up a Snap-on mig welder I had in storage for the past 12 years and managed to run a decent bead here and there. The driver side only required 2 small patches less than a couple sq.inches each and then the entire floor was given a coat of metal primer & the black Rustoleum. While sitting minding it's own business someone back into the left front fender nicking the grill edge as well. The passenger side door also had a deep gouge and had been over worked in an attempt to beat it back into shape by who I don't recall. I was able to locate a decent fender and door off a D200 Adventurer for a price I was willing to pay that required very little body work,filling trim holes and welding a patch in the lower edge of the fender, more practice welding. I've yet to find a good used box side panel that has some rusted out areas that will give me more practice time with the welder. Somewhere sometime in my travels I had picked up a straight rt. rear fender.   With 147,000 miles on the meter I found a 360 engine and transmission complete with headers to replace the tired 318. I did a quick compression test on the spot since the wiring for the starter was still intact,150-155 all the way across. SOLD! I have it partially tore down to replace the timing chain set and install a rv cam, lifters, water pump and a fresh coat of paint. Since I need to pull the fender & inner fender on the driver side my thinking is to pull the right side fender that needs a little work and the radiator core support to make the install a little easier and to paint the firewall,inner fender wells either body color or gloss black. Whats a few more bolts when you have power tools? Having a heck of a time deciding on a color and am probably driving my spouse and neighbors crazy as I ask them to comment on the sample panels I've painted with Safety Red, Sunrise Red, Topside Bright Red, Sunburst Yellow, Safety Yellow and Sunburst yellow I mixed with white that closely matches the yellow that is currently on our '55 Nomad that may be changed to '55 grey & pink combo. The consensuses seems to be the Bright Red Topside but I just love the Sunburst Yellow on Matt's  '95 Ranger. The interior will be / are black seats,carpet,dash pad with the dash metal painted with Rustoleum Dark Bronze  that Hell_Fish mention was a close match on his Cuda dash. I bought a pair of high back bucket seats out of a Dodge motorhome that I just dyed black again after viewing the results of Hell_Fish seats and door panel. Very happy with the results. Not really a fan of highbacks in vintage rigs but the price was right. The cab interior will be painted the body color whenever I finally decide what that will be. I've owned,built and sold more cars than I can remember but have shied (?) away from the over used ,imo, red I have seen in at all the car events. Shades of pinks and burgundy's have been my signature paint on most of our street rods, hot rods and a few Harleys  so a change is in order. Besides when I asked my mother what color she thought Bob would have liked to see it painted she said NOT PINKLaughing    Here is the current state of Bob's Truck. Hope to add progress photos after the holiday.
Melanie
" />
" />
" />
" />
" />
" />
" />
" />
" />
" />
" />
" />
Nomad427
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 12
Job/hobbies : Ultimate Recycler of old iron and fiberglassics
Project : '74 D100 stepside shorty
Registration date : 2014-06-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Project Bob's Truck

Post by 63Falconconvert on July 3rd 2014, 8:13 am

That will be a sweet ride when it's done!
63Falconconvert
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1262
Job/hobbies : Sales welding supplies
Project : 1963 Falcon Convertible
Registration date : 2009-04-06

View user profile https://bobs1963fordfalconconvertible.jimdo.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Nomad427 on July 3rd 2014, 12:08 pm

Thanks, we certainly hope it will. Surprisingly we get quite a few thumbs up when we do drive it even in the state it is now. The goal is to have it ready for a local vintage travel trailer meet in our area in Sept. The red canopy is off our lil Ford Ranger that we had to remove to haul the new motor home in. It has a matching camper shell that is stored in drive-in basement garage that came with it when my dad bought the truck. It goes in the shop to start the process next week.
Nomad427
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Hillbilly on July 14th 2014, 2:42 pm

You could do a Lil' Express Red Truck replica...

Incidentally, one of the years during which they made that truck, it was the fastest American production vehicle for the year!  Faster than the Vette, and the Z28 and Trans Am, and the Mustang, too.
Tommy Hillbilly
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 596
Project : 1988 Mustang GT convertible
Registration date : 2010-10-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nomad427 on July 20th 2014, 4:33 pm

Funny thing is when my dad purchased the Dodge it had side pipes that possibly came off a Lil Red Truck but were tossed when they rotted out. I've always like the looks of stacks on old pick ups and have a set of lake pipes stored that I may mockup to see how they look when the box comes off for repair and painting the cab. They may be to small in diameter for the right look. I also have old Car Craft books from the 50's and early 60's,the ones that were the size of Reader's Digest, that show some of the trucks with the pipes running along the upper part of the box rail. Thinking of making a pair of fender skirts, dropping the rear & front a couple inches and adding wide whites with chrome reverse wheels.
Good info on the HP and comparison to the muscle cars of the era. I would imagine they were fitted with 440 ci motors. I came close to buying a 440 out of a motorhome but opted for the 360 since parts interchange with the 318 and this is suppose to be a budget build. Phase 2 of the build is now on course. I put the finishing touches on the 360 freshen up yesterday. BTW I am / was an ASE master tech, shop manager for 30 plus years and do all my own work in addition to building one or two cars a year. We have a couple of runs to the local compost pile and then the truck goes into the garage for it's long over due facelift and up grades. Fun times ahead.

Unsure if I will run headers or not. These came with the motor but won't fit the drivers side. They were on a van that the motor came out of

" />  

The motor came with chrome valve covers but had seen better days with some rust pitting so I masked off the Edelbrock script and shot them with satin black after scuffing and treating the rust with chemical converter. The air cleaner was something I had on the shelf that will be replaced with an Edelbrock to match the covers.
" />

New RV cam,dbl.roller timing set,oil pump,rear main seal,main and rod bearings,water pump. New fuel pump was install on 318 a few months ago and will be transferred to the 360 along with known to work distributor,cap and wires. Topped of with a freshened up Thermoquad carb. Replacement fender is in the background ready for paint and recently found louvered hood for our '55 Nomad.
" />
" />
Nomad427
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 81F100 on July 21st 2014, 7:25 am

I like it! Though it makes me think of all of the mechanical work that my truck needs and that I don't have the money/time for right now. Not to mention that I lack 30 years of experience! Great job!
81F100
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2014-05-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Hillbilly on August 4th 2014, 1:41 am

Maybe a muffler shop could rebuild that driver side header to fit the truck.
I thought those Lil' Red Trucks which were so fast were actually 360s, IIRC.
You could run the lake pipes stacked behind the cab! Twisted Evil 
Stacks look best on step-side pickup trucks.

That engine looks great! Myself, I would've painted the valve covers and air filter to match the rest of the engine. Looking forward to seeing the build.
Tommy Hillbilly
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 596
Project : 1988 Mustang GT convertible
Registration date : 2010-10-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down