Made in Galicia, Spain - '95 CitroŽn C-15 van

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Made in Galicia, Spain - '95 CitroŽn C-15 van

Post by betanceiro on September 20th 2014, 5:40 pm

First of all, I'm spanish and though I learned english in my youth, years goes by and memory goes down, so, I apologize if what I write here is not understood or has spelling mistakes. Many of this text has been written in English, but some parts are translated by Google Translate.

After 20 years of being manufactured and 10 being my property, my Citroen C-15 was needing some care.

Paint was fine, with a good shine,

but some pits had appeared on the bottom of the doors,

on a back door and a little hole there where the roof joins the body side.

Besides there was a dent on the right side, caused by rubbing against a column

After asking budgets on body shops and paint of my town, the cost seemed excessive, about 1800 euros is almost three times the value of the van in the condition it was in, and obviously once painted neither could recover the cost in the case of a hypothetical sale.

So I had to evaluate if restoring it could be a good idea

That's the way I reached this forum. The results shown here seemed very, very professional and that †encouraged me to embark on the task of roll up and restore the C-15 with some personalized details.

First steps, practice on the interior side

To practice this technique, know about the products to use and evaluate results I decided to start with the interior side, which also presented some details like scratches by loads, gobs of tape, and the hole in the roof.

After a deep sanding, and repaired the little hole, it was ready for paint.

Rust-Oleum is not sold here in Galicia, can only be purchased on Internet and sent from Barcelona, but the shipping cost is too expensive, so I decide to use Hempel and Bruguer products, which are sold in my town.

So, the first was to aplly 2 coats of Hempel Primer and the 6 coats of Bruguer Acrylic Enamel, sanding after each coat with a 120 grain sand paper in the begining and finishing with a 1200 grain at last, and leaving 48 hours between coats to ensure dry.

I want to emphasize that both primer Hempel as acrylic Bruguer are water-based products, so they are not the most appropriate to paint a car, but since had them and they do not emit odors, I thought it was worth a try before putting them in higher expenses.

The result was more than satisfactory. Sanding between coats avoided the "orange peel" finish and was more than acceptable considering that the cargo area is more prone to scuffs and scratches.

The body works

The C-15 van has some plastic protections I don't like at all, so I decided to remove them. After removing the protections, I had to cut the metal parts where the plastic peaces that supports the plastic protecions are fixed, caring not to leave holes after grinding. After that I sanded the whole body with 80 grain sand paper until paint was mate and used a wire brush there where rust was present.

After that I applied Bruguer Rust Remover, a product that removes rust leaving a black protection.

Putty works

Once sanded and removed the rust, I began to wotk on deep dent zone, hammering until they were not too deep and then applyed some fiber-glass putty there on the rusted or hammered zones filling them and after that I complete the work using some poliester putty.

Then, I sanded again until putty was smooth and the whole body was ready for primer. Here i gave 3 Hempel primer coats, sanding between them with 240 and 400 grain sand paper.

2013 summer was finishing and since Galician wheather is too wet and rainy during autumn and winter I decided to stop the work and wait till this summer to continue after evaluating the results.

Restaring

So, after 11 months, we reached to September 2014, with surprisingly good results. The primer had endured the †the cold and rain without cracking or chipping, the putty did not crack, had no new signs of rust, and the patched on the roof was fine. Some more putty was needed to fill "invisible defects" that were now visible

Rock and ROLL - Let's paint

So, after a soft sand to remove dirt, grease and dead insects, I cleaned all with cleaning thinner before start painting.

I began to roll the bottom of both sides with silver gray. This way I could ensure that Hempel Polyurethane was a good paint to use.

Altough it dries in a couple of hours, I wait for 2 days to evaluate the result and then go on.
On the 3rd day I started to roll the upper side. After 3 hours rolling the job was made with this results:

The next day, some dripping were visible, so, after sanding with a 120 grain sand paper on that zones and a 240 grain sand paper the rest of the body, it was ready for the second coat.

Before starting the restoration, I supposed that 4 or 5 coats would be necesary to reach a good finish, but after second coat I'm very satisfied with the results, so I°ll let the paint cure for a week and then see if I continue painting or proceed to polish.

betanceiro
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 13
Job/hobbies : DIY works
Project : Should I paint my Citroen C15 van?
Registration date : 2013-07-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Made in Galicia, Spain - '95 CitroŽn C-15 van

Post by Rivethead on September 22nd 2014, 12:08 pm

Your English is perfectly understandable. That's a neat little van you have there. Nice job.
Rivethead
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2009-01-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by betanceiro on September 22nd 2014, 2:33 pm

Thank you Rivethead for your opinion. Really it was a very good van, but Citroen discontinued it's production in 2005 don't know why because it was the first in sales ins it's class. This one has traveled for 420.000 km (260.000 miles) and still starts up like the first day.
betanceiro
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Hillbilly on October 5th 2014, 4:44 pm

That looks good! I would have gone for some more coats, but you can always go back and add more, later.
Tommy Hillbilly
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 596
Project : 1988 Mustang GT convertible
Registration date : 2010-10-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by betanceiro on October 6th 2014, 2:13 am

Smile Tx Tommy, I think the same, never will be late to go on (if wheather is good enough)
betanceiro
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top