1974 Chevy Nova Hatchback

View previous topic View next topic Go down

1974 Chevy Nova Hatchback

Post by smithric1213 on December 24th 2014, 12:01 am

After weeks of studying and watching videos and etc. I decided I want to take the venture of painting my own project using the rolled on technique. I bought the car back in November and it wasn't running or anything. I got it started after about 2 weeks of working on it. The car didn't have any rust I checked thoroughly once i got it to my garage... It has rebuilt 350 Small Block and a TH350. I just laid my 2 coats of paint down about an hour ago. I was wondering if I'm doing it right. I mixed 3 different Rustoleum colors together to the color I was looking for.

I don't know what "MS" means. I added a little paint thinner to the paint while I was mixing the colors. Am I doing it right or not?

1stCOAT

2ND COAT

smithric1213
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2014-12-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 1974 Chevy Nova Hatchback

Post by 63Falconconvert on December 24th 2014, 10:59 am

Great looking Nova!
The number one rule in rolling is to take your time. You can not rush the process. I added a enamel hardener in with the paint and that cured it quicker than just straight paint/thinner.
Check out my 63 Falcon in the project file.
MS stands for mineral spirits.
Hope this helps. Ask questions or PM me if you need help.
Bob
63Falconconvert
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1262
Job/hobbies : Sales welding supplies
Project : 1963 Falcon Convertible
Registration date : 2009-04-06

View user profile https://bobs1963fordfalconconvertible.jimdo.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by smithric1213 on December 24th 2014, 7:46 pm

63Falconconvert thanks for the information. I have both mineral spirits and paint thinner. I don't think I really need the mineral spirits. the paint is rolling on pretty good to me. I laid my 3rd coat few minutes ago and Im impressed with the results. I dont think i will be doing the 8 to 10 coats tho.

smithric1213
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by smithric1213 on December 24th 2014, 11:10 pm

just finished with 4TH COAT. I'm really liking how this project is turning out....the more coats I put on the more shiny it's becoming. I have a vision in my head that this is going to turn out extremely well. Ive posted picture on Facebook of the paint on the car and everybody liking the color....I'm waiting for someone to ask me who's painting it??? Please give me your opinion and etc.

smithric1213
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by race-n-jason on January 7th 2015, 12:25 pm

I'm pretty sure that 'MS' means Mineral Spirits. That's pretty good coverage for only two coats. looks like your laying it down pretty thick. What type of thinner did you use?

The thicker the paint the more Orange Peel you'll have. Just takes more sanding between coats. There are different schools of thought on how thick each layer should be. The thinner the paint, the more it 'self-levels'. But it does require more layers.

-jeg-
race-n-jason
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2008-01-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by smithric1213 on January 9th 2015, 11:24 pm

race-n-jason: I'm done with painting now. I only applies 8 coats I used Klean paint thinner. To be honest sanding in between every 2 coats wasn't that much orange peel. I'm in the process of buffing now. i was really hoping to get a lot of feed back on my work but its weird 151 views and no replies
smithric1213
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Hillbilly on January 16th 2015, 9:28 pm

Haha, yeah, not a lot of traffic here - even slower in the winter months. I try to check in every few months.

That is a sweet Nova. Hatchback too!

So you weren't using any thinning agent in the paint? Did it take a long time to dry?
Tommy Hillbilly
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 596
Project : 1988 Mustang GT convertible
Registration date : 2010-10-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by smithric1213 on January 22nd 2015, 8:24 pm

i didnt use a paint thinner till the last few coats... I would wake up in the morning do a coat and before i went to bed apply another coat. Let it dry over night and the following day about 4 i would wet sand and day after that apply more coats.

Right now im in the process of wet sanding so I can buff but i only do a section at a time because of my work schedule.
smithric1213
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Noah Zarq on February 12th 2015, 6:35 pm

I love the color! I tried mixing colors and it didn't work near as well as yours (safety red and gloss yellow). It turned out a salmon looking color. I have to agree, things get slow here in the winter.
Noah Zarq
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 128
Project : 1992 Nissan Sentra, 1984 Dodge Ram, 1995 Chrysler Concorde
Registration date : 2010-06-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by smithric1213 on February 13th 2015, 12:21 am

I also mix a little black in as well because I was trying to get purple and when I just mixed the red and blue it was too purplish so i added a little black to make it darker to the color I wanted
smithric1213
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cac1964 on February 16th 2015, 6:51 pm

Lookin good man!! Your on the right track, the cut and buff is the worst part!! Can't wait too see it done!! I am not really a new member, I was register as cac1967, had to re register, as 63 falconconvertable said feel free to message me and ask any questions you have!!
Cac1964
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 4
Job/hobbies : Auto parts manager, classic car restoration , racing
Project : 1967 fastback mustang, 1964 falcon, my daughters street stock race car.
Registration date : 2015-02-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top