Brushing tipping, thinner ratio 50/50?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Brushing tipping, thinner ratio 50/50?

Post by rebar on July 13th 2017, 6:07 pm

I'm finding a wide range of suggested ratio's regarding reducing rustoleum topside paint. From no thinner at all for brushing, to 50/50 for rolling..  And somewhere in between for spraying.

I will use a brush, as I'm only painting the roof gutter repair of a econoline work van and not a entire car.  I will also use valspar enamel hardener at the 16:1 recommended ratio to speed things up.

What ratio of thinner (penetrol / spirits) should I mix for brush strokes to flow out? Same 50/50 ratio as the rolled? 
I could live with no visible brush strokes from 5' away as this is a work van and I'm repairing rust and not looking for any compliments..

Thanks

Here is what rustoleum said about topside..

1. Prep .. suggested prep/sand/profile is 120-150 grit for the first application of the Rusto topcoat on Gelcoat. ( not raw glass )

2. Thinning or Reduction ... Mineral Spirits ONLY 5% for rolling and tipping. 10-15% reduction of Acetone or Xylene for spray applications ( depending on the temp ). Acetone for Low temp and Xylene for higher temps.

3. Window for re-coat.. 24 hours or Overnight depending on temp and proper application of the coat ( not too thick or it will not cure correctly ). You MUST sand/prep for the next coat !

4. Recoat .. Must be sanded between coats with 220 grit for proper application.

5. Topcoat/Final coat.. should follow the same 220 grit prep procedure.

6. Window for Final Top Coat to Trailer.. recommended at Least 3 Days for proper cure.

7. Clean/flush gun solvent.. Acetone or Xylene/acetone mix.

8. Sanding/Buffing.. Yes it can be sanded and buffed after a suggested cure time of At Least 2 weeks without fault.

9. Additives.. There are NO additives or curing agents offered or suggested by Rust-Oleum for this product ( This is going to be a touchy subject here ). The AE hardener suggest by some will promote quicker cure times .. but may dilute the product and the final cure of the paint itself.

In closeing .. R.O. tech line is 877-385-8155 ..
rebar
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 17
Job/hobbies : working
Project : Cummins E350
Registration date : 2017-06-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Brushing tipping, thinner ratio 50/50?

Post by rebar on July 16th 2017, 12:40 pm

Wow I guess this forum is really dead in the water..
rebar
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CarRollers on August 7th 2017, 4:11 pm

Very sadly you seem to be the only person really posting which is a shame as I'm kind of desperate for info too and you ask good questions...
CarRollers
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2013-08-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rebar on August 7th 2017, 9:19 pm

CarRollers wrote:Very sadly you seem to be the only person really posting which is a shame as I'm kind of desperate for info too and you ask good questions...

Hello.

I mixed the hardener according to instructions (16:1)   8 oz hardener to 1 gallon enamel

I ended up at 15% mineral spirits.

Mine was just paint for some body work I completed.  Not a entire car.  But if you ask a question I will try and answer it.
rebar
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CarRollers on August 8th 2017, 1:06 am

Thank you sir! Will observe proper etiquette and start a new thread, but any advice you can offer would much appreciated.
CarRollers
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2013-08-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top