Rustoluem vs Brightside

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Rustoluem vs Brightside

Post by mkst on January 14th 2008, 9:25 pm

I'm trying to decide between the two. I'm trying to achieve a near OEM finish if possible. Unfortunately, I'll be doing it in my driveway since a garage is unavailable. What would be my best bet with time not being an issue? I've never done any sort of bodywork or painting before so I hope it isn't too hard.
mkst
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2007-12-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rustoluem vs Brightside

Post by btldigger on January 14th 2008, 10:48 pm

I like the brightside, but I havent used the rustoleum so I guess im biased. I think oem quality can be beat. Take a look at my project and you be the judge. It just takes time and patience. There is lots of good info here.
btldigger
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2007-12-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadking41a on January 15th 2008, 12:57 am

Where do you get brightside?
Roadking41a
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

Number of posts : 300
Project : undecided
Registration date : 2008-01-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by btldigger on January 15th 2008, 1:21 am

West marine, or boat world for me. I think some are getting good deals on fleabay.
btldigger
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2007-12-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tzyoung on January 15th 2008, 1:47 am

Go with the Brightside for my money It is the better paint for this type of thing. And it shines like a piece of new money even when the car is dirty and dusty. I have posted pictures of my paint jobs using both kinds of paint. You be the judge of the better looking paint.

Brightside

Rust-o-leum

nuff said Wink
tzyoung
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 60
Job/hobbies : engineering student/Cars and RC planes
Project : 89 Camaro, 89 Honda Accord
Registration date : 2007-12-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt on January 15th 2008, 1:19 pm

I used rustoleum for my project. It came out great in my opinion. I've never used brightside but I think I'll try it out if and when I decide to do this again.

400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 563
Project : Ford Ranger Splash
Registration date : 2007-12-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by after on January 23rd 2008, 11:34 pm

anyone from canada know the equivelant? i hope they carry brightside here, from what i read it is better when settling.
p.s. does bright side control rust also?
after
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 37
Job/hobbies : Customer service/fishing
Project : 1994 Honda civic hatchback. Going back to all original interior and restoring car
Registration date : 2008-01-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 250mav on January 24th 2008, 2:24 am

i never heard of brightside untill i joined this forum. most walmarts and home depots and places likr that only have rustoleum.

it sounds like boat stores might be the place to look?
250mav
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 32
Job/hobbies : Auto Tech student
Registration date : 2008-01-21

View user profile http://www.myspace.com/oldsg

Back to top Go down

Post by after on January 24th 2008, 9:15 am

thanks, does brightside control rust for metal do you think? Either way I found an armour rust control paint from Canadian tire, the equivalent too, pep boys in the u.s.
after
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 37
Job/hobbies : Customer service/fishing
Project : 1994 Honda civic hatchback. Going back to all original interior and restoring car
Registration date : 2008-01-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMJ Rick on January 24th 2008, 7:21 pm

I don't think Brightside will control rust any more than a standard car paintjob. Paint protects the metal from the elements that cause rust. Anti rust paints have additives to give extra protection to rust pron outdoor metals. As long as you remove any rust and prep as you should Brightside is no different than any other paint. Anti rust pait can go on bare metal, non anti rust paint needs to be aplied over a primed or painted surface and not on bare metal.
JMJ Rick
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 114
Job/hobbies : Printshop owner
Project : 91 Geo Storm GSi, 93 Geo Storm, 66 Chevy pickup
Registration date : 2007-12-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt on February 14th 2008, 1:47 am

I agree with Rick. You might want to check into the manufacturer's specs and see what it says about rust. From what I understand this is a marine application and considering most boats are fiberglass, I'm not so sure this would be a rust preventative coating.

400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lanceb on February 14th 2008, 5:33 pm

The Canadian equivalent of Rustoleum is Tremclad. You might say Tremclad was the pioneer.
Just for the sake of information, for those who may be new to this, here's a snapshot rundown of the (modern) history of this process. The guy who kick-started the current interest in roller painting a couple years ago over on the moparts.org site, "69chargeryeehaa", lives in Canada and used Tremclad. His documented experience painting his Charger and VW bug using Tremclad launched the movement. When Hot Rod magazine roller painted their Falcon a year or so later, they referenced the moparts site as their source.
The next major contributor, again on the same site/thread, was "Marq", also Canadian, who was the first to document Briteside on his McLaren Mustang. The gloss it produced convinced many to go with that product, even though it was somewhat higer priced.
A little later "Aussie Driver" demonstrated that the final cut and polish, using his preferred "Poorboys" prroducts, could produce a literally mirro-like finish on a roller paint job.
Finally, Matt started this dedicated site, and used his own fantastic paint job on his truck to launch it. It's the logical step, since the original thread had grown to a tremendous length, and really took on a life of its own. This was too big to be just a single thread of a Mopar fan site. Thanks and kudos to Matt for doing this, and to the many others who have contributed their knowlege and experience.
Personally, I have not used this process for myself, yet, but I have followed the threads with interest for the last couple years and find it fascinating. (It's been particularly interesting to see it survive the numerous doubters and naysayers.) I plan to use it when my own project reaches the final paint stage.
thanks, (sorry for the ramlbling post)
Lance

lanceb
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2007-12-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt on February 24th 2008, 9:02 pm

Thanks for the props Lance. I'm glad the forums have the opportunity to grow each day with members and information. I created it so it's easier to navigate this technique and get the answers you need.

400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top