Finally Started My 84 corvette.

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Finally Started My 84 corvette.

Post by Matt on January 27th 2008, 3:32 pm

So how are you going about repairing the spider cracks if there are any?

400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 563
Project : Ford Ranger Splash
Registration date : 2007-12-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bob84 on January 27th 2008, 6:21 pm

I actually don't have a lot of spider cracks... any spider cracks that I have are limited to the front and rear flexible bumpers, i'm just going to sand those down until the cracks are gone and prime them before I paint.

I am however fixing some major cracks..

I have/had a crack in the rear fender above the rear wheel, I removed the inner fender, ground out the damaged area, ended up with about a quarter sized hole, filled from the backside with glass, let it cure, filled from the front with glass, ground down and added epoxy filler ( unfortunately the epoxy filler wasn't mixed correctly and is taking forever to harden)

On Hood, I had a major crack under the headlight that someone in the past had ignored basically just filled with regular bondo... chunks of it had already come out.. I basically fixed the crack with 3 layers of fiber glass and resing... making the first piece of glass the size of the bottom of the crack and then layering larger pieces of glass over top. Ground down, and epoxy filler (funny thing is that this area dried quickly)

I also have a actuall crack on the hood that didn't go all the way through, I ground out the crack with 80 grit and layed a strip of glass over this cracked area,, filled like the other areas.

Last thing that I did was fill the front emblem holes, corvettes have a emblem on the nose that I don't care for, removed it and already looks better.

bob84
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 49
Project : 1984 corvette
Registration date : 2007-12-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Stormin' Norman on January 27th 2008, 7:59 pm

bob84 wrote:I actually don't have a lot of spider cracks... any spider cracks that I have are limited to the front and rear flexible bumpers, i'm just going to sand those down until the cracks are gone and prime them before I paint.

I had some of those on my fender extenders front and back. The Tremclad did a nice job, but I should have listened to the bodyshop supply store and filled a couple of deep scratches.
http://www.rondex.ca/index.asp

This is my favourite here, and his Products page gives you links to his manufacturers. That's how confident these guys are in what they sell. Not one counter guy under 50, and ready to pass on their tips! Very Happy
Stormin' Norman
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 42
Project : 1979 Ford Fairmont Squire stationwagon
Registration date : 2008-01-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt on January 29th 2008, 2:04 pm

I've never worked with a fiberglass body, well other than the bed of my splash it's fiberglass. Fortunately I didn't have to do much bodywork. I did it the way your describing above so that makes me feel better. Being a machinist, metal is my thing. I respect you for your patience while working with fiberglass. Honestly I hate it. Sticky glove eating Resin could possible be the worst liquid known to mankind. Good luck with the repairs!

400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bob84 on February 5th 2008, 6:43 pm

Well just a little update;

I've been sick for the last week so my project stalled, but I'm back on it. I finished sanding the entire car, primed the hood; and tested a few mixes of the orange on my hood (thinner to paint mixes not colors). I have decided that even though the 50/50 mix is a little waterier than I like, it definitely lays down smoother than a 2 to 1 mix...

I've also decided that I will mix a little of my paint into a can of primer and prime the entire car, the difference this makes in the color is unbelievable.

One question I have is : What does everyone here do for reducing fish eyes? I've tried wiping down the car in mineral spirits and wax/greaser remover before I roll paint on and I still have fish eyes. I guess worst case scenario I can touch them up between coats with a unthinned dab of paint but that seems kinda hokey.

bob84
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Stormin' Norman on February 5th 2008, 6:51 pm

I never had fish eyes, from the first to the 8th coat, and I was painting under a tarp in open air. I'd just wash the car down first with lacquer thinners (to get old waxes and buffing compounds or rubber cleaners off, then with mineral spirits. Then wipe down your wetsanding residue with thinners between each coat. I was using the Canadian Tremclad equiv to the US Rustoleum.
Stormin' Norman
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 42
Project : 1979 Ford Fairmont Squire stationwagon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bob84 on February 11th 2008, 2:32 am

Well, I finally rolled a coat of primer on my car. Went pretty well, I'll have to give it a 400 grit wetsand before I lay the actual color down but otherwise good to go. The rolling of the primer went pretty quickly, about 1.5 hours for the entire car, it actually took longer to brush paint the body molding, and some of the door jam areas( I have alot more to do but i'll do that when the outer body is painted).

Just a little suggestion to everyone, you never know what kind of crap is on your paint; I had major fish eye problems with my test coats even after wiping with mineral spirits; I strongly suggest that you was your car with comet,,, my primer coat came out clean and defect free. Anyway here are a couple of pics.

The first pic is of my test coats, the rest are of the car in primer. I know the car looks pink (because it is) but thats actually grey primer mixed with a little of my orange top coat...

bob84
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by thafaz on February 11th 2008, 12:20 pm

Looks good man!!!! Smooth, smooth smooth......I can't believe how good those IROC's look on the vette!!! I was gonna get rid of mine for Torque Thrust IIs, but you changed my mind.
thafaz
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2008-01-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadking41a on February 11th 2008, 1:45 pm

How many coats of primer did you put on? It looks real good.
Roadking41a
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

Number of posts : 300
Project : undecided

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bob84 on February 11th 2008, 2:40 pm

One coat, full strength no thinners.

I have a few marks to sand out tonight, brush marks from doing the moldings and around the tail lights and door handles. The primer actually dried quite smooth, almost no orange peel at all, will hit with some 400 grit to smooth out and start painting tomorrow night.

bob84
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cutty on February 12th 2008, 12:19 am

and what kind of primer is that?
cutty
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2008-01-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bob84 on February 12th 2008, 1:06 am

I'm using armor coat rust paint, (canadian tire house brand). The primer is armor coat primer with a dolop of the orange that the car is going to be mixed into it. Came out pink but will be a lot easier to cover than the original brown color.

bob84
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bob84 on February 14th 2008, 12:40 am

Got the first coat of Orange on the car today. Went on really well if a bit heavier than I had wanted. Originally when I did my tests I had used a 50/50 mix, for this coat I actually did about 65percent paint 35 percent thinner. My next coat will probably be 50/50 again. Overall the paint laid down really nicely though, extremely smooth on the sides and only a little bit of orange peel on the hood. I've attached some pictures; the car actually looks better than the pictures show; mainly because I suck at taking pictures. I should have 4 coats on the car by sunday and we are supposed to be having a nice day, if we do I'll get it out and take some pictures in the sun.

bob84
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by megaglow_z on February 14th 2008, 1:04 am

AH!!!! We have color!!!
Looking great man!
Keep the pics a commin!
megaglow_z
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

Number of posts : 261
Job/hobbies : Autoglass tech
Project : 81 Yota
Registration date : 2007-12-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by megaglow_z on February 14th 2008, 1:07 am

bob84 wrote:I'm using armor coat rust paint, (canadian tire house brand). The primer is armor coat primer with a dolop of the orange that the car is going to be mixed into it. Came out pink but will be a lot easier to cover than the original brown color.

I had not thought of doing that!
Did it effect the way the primer worked at all?
megaglow_z
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bob84 on February 14th 2008, 1:18 am

thanks, i'm pretty happy with the way its looking.

The primer seemed fine, i only used a little bit of the orange paint in it; maybe 1 part paint to 8 parts of primer...

I recommend it, It really makes the paint go on even.

bob84
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cutty on February 14th 2008, 1:39 am

looking awsome,waitin for more updates
cutty
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2008-01-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by megaglow_z on February 14th 2008, 1:42 am

Very cool to know that!
Ill be going to a completely different color and have to fix a lot of paint chips,so ill be primering the entire truck.
megaglow_z
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt on February 14th 2008, 2:43 am

Wow man that is one bright car. I like the color. It's coming along very well. Did your primer coat get rid of the sanding scratches? Keep on rollin' man it looks great.

400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bob84 on February 14th 2008, 3:09 am

From what i can tell right at this moment, yes the primer got rid of the 220 grit sanding scratches, I wet sanded the primer with 400 grit before putting the orange on. I'll do another coat of orange tomorrow and hit it with 600 Grit on Friday evening; wash the car and hopefully put 2 coats on the car on saturday. I figure one coat early morning and then one coat at the end of the night. I don't actually think its all that much brighter than your ranger; just looks it because of the lighting in the garage.

bob84
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt on February 14th 2008, 1:29 pm

Yeah well it looks really good and I've never seen a vette that color so it will definately stand out. It looks like it's covering great, are you going to go the whole 8 coats?

400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bob84 on February 14th 2008, 1:56 pm

Matt wrote:Yeah well it looks really good and I've never seen a vette that color so it will definately stand out. It looks like it's covering great, are you going to go the whole 8 coats?

I don't know if I'm going to need 8 coats; I'm hoping to have 6 coats on the car at the end of the day on sunday, I'll wait until then to decide on whether or not to do 8 coats.

I may do the 8 coats just to give myself extra paint for wetsanding and polishing.

I'm still trying to figure out why the coverage is so good. Now that the paint is dry you can actually see the blotchiness of the thin paint but still... I swear another coat is going to give me full coverage. I really think its the orange/pink tinted primer.

bob84
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadking41a on February 14th 2008, 2:42 pm

Looks Great. Like Matt said I never seen that color of orange on a vette and it is great
Roadking41a
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

Number of posts : 300
Project : undecided

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cloudbreakmd on February 14th 2008, 9:11 pm

Looks good. You have me real curious about a roll on primer though for my project...
cloudbreakmd
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 22
Project : 1988 Honda CRX DX
Registration date : 2008-02-10

View user profile http://www.bikepics.com/members/cloudbreakmd/

Back to top Go down

Post by bob84 on February 15th 2008, 12:53 am

2nd coat...

bob84