Still unbelieveable that you guys painted your own car!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Still unbelieveable that you guys painted your own car!

Post by after on January 23rd 2008, 5:59 pm

I have a car that i want to keep, MUCH sentimental value. i know its only a 1994 honda civic hatch, but everyone who has a car they are attached too, knows and understands what i mean, i cant come around to selling it. I think they said 2000$ for a new paint job? errr ok even for my car thats not good!. In a way with this forum i dont feel alone, i WILL start in the spring and will be obviously posting pictures soon, i gotta say some of your cars here i still cant belive,,no come on..do you guys work for Tremclad and rustoleum? wtf?

Last edited by on January 23rd 2008, 7:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
after
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 37
Job/hobbies : Customer service/fishing
Project : 1994 Honda civic hatchback. Going back to all original interior and restoring car
Registration date : 2008-01-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Still unbelieveable that you guys painted your own car!

Post by Matt on January 23rd 2008, 6:13 pm

I know how you feel man. My yellow ranger was my first vehicle and I've had it for about 6 years now. I'm going to drive it until I can't anymore. After having a vehicle for so long you know it inside and out and it just doesnt feel right to part with it. Do you have any current pictures of your car?

400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 563
Project : Ford Ranger Splash
Registration date : 2007-12-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by after on January 23rd 2008, 6:29 pm

ya ill post soon. Again, something to do for spring, toronto in winter is a stupid season. Rain, snow and mild weather can all happen within a week so this is definately a spring time project. not in the hottest months though, im thinking around March. Exactly as you said, you know the car inside and out and know what problems will soon come up and what has been fixed. Either way this website is perfect!! im still in awe at the good work some of the pictures look like.
after
Rank
Rank

Project : 1994 Honda civic hatchback. Going back to all original interior and restoring car

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by saab_ken on January 23rd 2008, 9:11 pm

I'm in Toronto as well, will be painting my old faithful 1995 Saab this spring. It has been an excellent car and I just can't part with it. 320, 000 km (200,000 miles) and still kicking.

Maybe meet up in the better weather, to help each other out.
Can help with the upholserty as well, my Girlfriend does it for a living
saab_ken
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2008-01-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by after on January 23rd 2008, 11:48 pm

hmmm car upholstery, drivers side seat has a bad tear. yep so you can appreciate the weather. man march and april are too far . and unfortunately no indoor garage saab_ken. hey you think they have brightside here in canada? it apparently doesnt run as much as rustoleum. errr maybe our equivelant is tremclad.
375,000 kms and engine runs great. Again its nothing too crazy but it is my first car that i ever bought.
after
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bob84 on January 24th 2008, 12:53 am

tremclad I think is actually better than rustoleum but Americans can't buy it. I got canadian tire armor coat instead of tremclad, they had the color i wanted, and its still an enamel. I figured it couldn't be all that much different than Rustoleum/Tremclad.

We'll see, I have some body work to do on the vette and then early next week I'll start painting it. I'm going to wait with door jambs etc until the outer part of the car is painted, just in case I end up not being happy with my paint job. As soon as I start I'll being making daily updates to my post.

bob84
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 49
Project : 1984 corvette
Registration date : 2007-12-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadking41a on January 24th 2008, 12:57 am

after wrote:hmmm car upholstery, drivers side seat has a bad tear. yep so you can appreciate the weather. man march and april are too far . and unfortunately no indoor garage saab_ken. hey you think they have brightside here in canada? it apparently doesnt run as much as rustoleum. errr maybe our equivelant is tremclad.
375,000 kms and engine runs great. Again its nothing too crazy but it is my first car that i ever bought.

If I have read right and I was told by Stormin' Tremclad is Rustoleum in Canada If you can pull up their site which is in the supplies Thread you will be surprised at the variety of colors that Brightside and Rustoleum.
Roadking41a
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

Number of posts : 300
Project : undecided
Registration date : 2008-01-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bob84 on January 24th 2008, 1:04 am

Problem with the color charts is that you can't neccessarily find all the colors in the stores.

bob84
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMJ Rick on January 24th 2008, 5:19 am

Paint was hard to find here too, Don't be afraid to ask, I had to order my paint. The local store only has the spray cans, but can order any color. Home Depot and Lowes were not helpful and would not special order, I ordered from the local little guy and had it in 5 days.
JMJ Rick
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 114
Job/hobbies : Printshop owner
Project : 91 Geo Storm GSi, 93 Geo Storm, 66 Chevy pickup
Registration date : 2007-12-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by after on January 24th 2008, 10:18 am

Big box stores are annoying as hell! NO absolutely NO customer service! im going to buy it from a local 'mom and pop' shop instead. A bit higher in price, but at least they will be interested in helping, and who knows they might have better customer service.
As far as tremclad goes, for people who live in canada, it is the American equivalent to rustoleum. Also Canadaian tire has an anti-rust paint, which was pointed out by another forum member.
I have been hearing great things about brightside, but I am more towards the anti-rusting properties of the tremclad-rustoleum and canadian tire paint. Actually canadian tire has the colour 'fire red' which i want to paint my car with. I already have red on.
after
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt on January 26th 2008, 6:09 pm

Rustoleum owns tremclad. That's just what they call it in Canada. Not sure why but that's how everything is between us and them. What is Canadian Tire Armor Coat?

400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by saab_ken on January 26th 2008, 7:52 pm

Yes Brightside is available Up Here, at pretty well any marina.
Just picked up some NOS from a boat club for $5 a quart.
But it is a Teal Colour going to use it on a Volvo project very soon.

The Saab will be done in Brightside Black btw
saab_ken
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by saab_ken on January 26th 2008, 7:56 pm

Tremclad is a different formulation then Rustoleum from what I have read, Can't remember off hand waht the difference is, but it was buried somewhere on the mopar thread.
saab_ken
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bob84 on January 26th 2008, 11:15 pm

Matt wrote:Rustoleum owns tremclad. That's just what they call it in Canada. Not sure why but that's how everything is between us and them. What is Canadian Tire Armor Coat?

Matt, Canadian Tire if you don't know is like one of the main Canadian "man stores", although it sells house hold stuff as well...

Armor Coat is the House brand Rust paint... its still enamel.. I would hazzard to guess that it is mixed for Canadian Tire by tremclad/rustoleum...

bob84
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt on January 27th 2008, 1:18 am

Ohh I see. I was reading it as Canadian Tire Paint ha ha . I was like tire paint wtf

400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Stormin' Norman on January 27th 2008, 9:14 pm

bob84 wrote:Problem with the color charts is that you can't neccessarily find all the colors in the stores.

That's true, Bob, so when they launched the new colours, I emailed them and they told me which stores in town, and when. It took another month to get the colour I wanted. I gotta say, though that what's on the Web colour chart is pretty close to the real world colour. The guys at Tremclad love hearing about this emergent use, so they'll be happy to hear from you. They emailed me responses a few times. Good people, really.
Stormin' Norman
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 42
Project : 1979 Ford Fairmont Squire stationwagon
Registration date : 2008-01-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt on January 29th 2008, 2:11 pm

I got lucky and found my color at Home Depot. I brushed a little spot onto my factory paint in the door jam and once it dried, I almost forgot where I painted it was so close. That's the beauty of the internet. If you can't find what you need in stores, you can be sure is floating around somewhere online.

400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top