Sanding

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Sanding

Post by after on January 23rd 2008, 7:14 pm

There are still human beings with a bit of patience out there! I have been reading and reading i have the gyst of it now. But here are some questions and they are hopefully easy.

What type of sander is needed for the best results?
and in the end is clear coat needed?

p.s.**** i wish I had a garage i would have started this already!
James, i hope we can start in the spring together! we can see.
after
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 37
Job/hobbies : Customer service/fishing
Project : 1994 Honda civic hatchback. Going back to all original interior and restoring car
Registration date : 2008-01-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Sanding

Post by Matt on January 23rd 2008, 8:34 pm

As far as sanding, I used my hand the whole time. Unless it was on something like body filler that had to be knocked down quite a bit. In that case I used an orbital palm sander. It's quick and a lot easier on the hands. When it comes to wetsanding the car I suggest using your hand because you can feel most of the imperfections through the paper making it easier to find problem areas.

Clear coating is up in the air with this method of painting. Some people say they plan on clearing and some don't. The reason is because if you clear, you will be adding a invisible barrier between your paint and the elements. It will also allow the paint to have a deeper hue and tends to have a lot more sheen to it. On the downside if you need a repair like a scratch or pebble dent, you will end up having to do the whole panel in paint and clear. Clear is hard to "blend" therefore it takes more time to make it look right. I myself daily drive my ranger and dings and chips are bound to happen. When they do I can just touch them up no problem. So I don't plan to add a clear coat. Hope that helps.

400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 563
Project : Ford Ranger Splash
Registration date : 2007-12-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by after on January 23rd 2008, 11:31 pm

thanks! so even when removing paint you use your hands? or palm sander
after
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 37
Job/hobbies : Customer service/fishing
Project : 1994 Honda civic hatchback. Going back to all original interior and restoring car
Registration date : 2008-01-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top