foam

View previous topic View next topic Go down

foam

Post by after on January 24th 2008, 10:08 am

I have just been given an idea from my mechanic about an inexpensive way to fill holes, with expansion foam? the same type to fill in holes etc. I first saw this stuff in europe over the summer. A relative of mine is in the construction industry. It was here also, but never was exposed to it at all. My mechanic said it can be used. In theory it would be much easier to sand down and work with. Has anyone ever used expansion foam for body work on cars?
after
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 37
Job/hobbies : Customer service/fishing
Project : 1994 Honda civic hatchback. Going back to all original interior and restoring car
Registration date : 2008-01-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: foam

Post by JamesScudder on January 24th 2008, 3:04 pm

wouldn't touch it as its not designed to flex, remember your car is constantly vibrating and flexing! every bump in the road causes a flex and vibration, I can't see it staying on the car very long... Car body filler is easy to sand though, as long as you put it on right

Last edited by on January 26th 2008, 6:00 am; edited 1 time in total
JamesScudder
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2008-01-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mazdawg78 on January 25th 2008, 12:05 pm

actually i have have. used to make a mold for fender flares. you can do a lot with card board and foam Laughing

mazdawg78
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 71
Registration date : 2007-12-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by after on January 25th 2008, 5:04 pm

hmm what about the foam in a can that expands to fill in rusted holes? (no pun intended)
after
Rank
Rank

Project : 1994 Honda civic hatchback. Going back to all original interior and restoring car

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JamesScudder on January 26th 2008, 6:02 am

why not buy boddy filler its like a 5 over here for a small tub, so I imagine it would be about $2.50 for you lot, good to hear it can work but I personally wouldn't do it

The foam in a can, a lot of people user over here for sound deadening inside panels, never ever known anyone to use it on the outside but I can imagine that being very awkward, as it expands and gets everywhere...
JamesScudder
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2008-01-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt on January 26th 2008, 6:38 pm

That's not going to work. That would work if you wanted a quick fix so you could sell or trade your car off to a dealer in a week. If you want to fix a rust hole in a panel, the only way to have it done and done right is to weld in a filler panel. It will save you a lot of time and heartache compared to walking outside one day and seeing your foam laying in the driveway. Not trying to be crude about it but it's not going to help you out in any way.

400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 563
Project : Ford Ranger Splash
Registration date : 2007-12-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by badbyrdkoncepts on January 27th 2008, 9:51 am

you could use it but you would need to get your shape with it then fiberglass over it, but the problem is fiberglass and metal have differant expansion properies and eventually it will crack, could be a year before it does though. but to do it right matt is correct welderrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!! grin
badbyrdkoncepts
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 109
Project : 1986 pontiac trans am
Registration date : 2007-12-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mazdawg78 on January 27th 2008, 1:31 pm

i have done that to trade in a car real quick. it will work but not as a long term fix. mine lasted about a year when i would see it around town. if you do it dont actually use glass mat use filler. the resin will eat the foam.

mazdawg78
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by badbyrdkoncepts on January 28th 2008, 12:31 am

mazdawg78 wrote:i have done that to trade in a car real quick. it will work but not as a long term fix. mine lasted about a year when i would see it around town. if you do it dont actually use glass mat use filler. the resin will eat the foam.
actually im not one to tell a man his business..............but i dont know what kind of foam you were using but the great stuff holds up to the resin from my experience. you just need to let it set up good.
badbyrdkoncepts
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 109
Project : 1986 pontiac trans am
Registration date : 2007-12-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mazdawg78 on January 28th 2008, 1:27 am

hmmmm

mazdawg78
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt on January 29th 2008, 2:45 pm

sawzall and weld

400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 563
Project : Ford Ranger Splash
Registration date : 2007-12-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by after on January 30th 2008, 5:31 am

Welding shops here in toronto are high on the fumes, they said about 1000$ for two quarter panels, WITH me brining in the panels?!?!
after
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by after on February 2nd 2008, 2:03 am

I think i found a guy who is willing to do it for 800$. sounds good to me, i'll do the prep work and use that liquid which 'eats' away at the rust.
after
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMJ Rick on February 2nd 2008, 4:48 am

The only thing better than a friend with a welder...is having your own. I have neither. Sad Time to look for different friends.

Paying a good welder should produce great results and be done right, but I'd have a hard time parting with that much money.
JMJ Rick
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 114
Job/hobbies : Printshop owner
Project : 91 Geo Storm GSi, 93 Geo Storm, 66 Chevy pickup
Registration date : 2007-12-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by after on February 2nd 2008, 5:53 am

Belive me, they all milk you. ITs rediculous how stupid the guy sounded to me when he said 1000$ for two freaking quarter panels? ??? thats a 7 day 5 star vacation to Cuba!
after
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMJ Rick on February 2nd 2008, 3:26 pm

I've got some rust repair on my 66 truck. I'm not looking forward to paying shop rates to patch. I want it done right but not for those prices. I've always wanted to learn to weld. I've never rebuilt a motor either and I'm going to do that soon so why not add welding as another first to this project. My wife thinks it midlife crisis. Smile
JMJ Rick
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 114
Job/hobbies : Printshop owner
Project : 91 Geo Storm GSi, 93 Geo Storm, 66 Chevy pickup
Registration date : 2007-12-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mazdawg78 on February 3rd 2008, 1:53 am

lol hell i started with a cheap walmart welder you can add gas to. its great for small projects and sheetmetal. when i have bigger **** i take it to work. hell ive welded frame rails for my truck there lol you gotta start somewhere.

mazdawg78
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top