88 VW Golf Project

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: 88 VW Golf Project

Post by pinoyxpryde on February 8th 2008, 6:19 pm

after getting the sixth coat on tuesday i took the car for a drive and a cop pulled me over and gave me a ticket for out of state registration and out of state license.

so now im working on getting the car to pass state safety and emissions inspection
pinoyxpryde
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2008-01-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by megaglow_z on February 14th 2008, 1:09 am

Any progress man!?!?!
megaglow_z
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

Number of posts : 261
Job/hobbies : Autoglass tech
Project : 81 Yota
Registration date : 2007-12-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt on February 14th 2008, 2:36 am

mazdawg78 wrote:ok hows this comin along? i got the perfect idea. go get you one of those refillable sprayers. like you fill up with an airtank. thin the paint real well. and in very light layers mist over your tails. will match and let red light through.

good idea

400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 563
Project : Ford Ranger Splash
Registration date : 2007-12-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by pinoyxpryde on February 17th 2008, 6:32 am

will update once the UPS man comes with some goodies I'm expecting during the week bounce
pinoyxpryde
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt on February 24th 2008, 9:50 pm

Good deal. Hey I have a question for you. I have seen several of the newer style golfs where the hood comes down and give the headlights and aggressive look. Do you buy the hood like this or add and shape metal to the original hood to make it overlap?

400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Oneabsolute on February 25th 2008, 12:51 pm

Matt, those hoods are called Boser hoods. You buy them that way and I believe most of them are either fiberglass or carbon fiber.
Oneabsolute
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2008-02-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by pinoyxpryde on March 5th 2008, 11:18 pm

well UPS man brought the goods, and heres what i found in one of the packages...

damaged front euro bumper. I don't have time to file a claim cause I need this car on the road so I'm gonna cut my losses and just short strand the piece back on. In the future ill smooth it out and paint the bumper so you'll never know it's there. Tomorow I also have to cut the mounting brackets to make it fit a US car. BUT I did get one thing done.

Got the rear euro bumper on. The rear only requires some hand bending of the bracket even though only 1 of the 4 bolt holes don't line up the bumper is still secure and level.
pinoyxpryde
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by pinoyxpryde on March 11th 2008, 2:43 pm

After ALOT of BS, I finnaly got Euro bumpers in 2 weeks after I was expecting to have them. To add to that BS UPS took a nice chunk off the front bumper, I don't have 4 months to deal with filing a claim and the BS that comes with it so I'll just have to cut my losses and fix it myself later. The rear bumper isn't much trouble to get it, just only 3 out of 4 bolts line up. The front was another story. It involves cutting a small bit off the actual rebar brackets which isn't bad. The kicker is modifying the frame horns where the brackets mount to accept the european bumper. With the US safety laws in the 80s the frames between Euro and US cars are really different. Lots of cutting, grinding, and swearing later they finally fit.

A before pic from another car of the US frame horn/bumper bracket mounting area.

It would look alot prettier but the compressor I had couldnt keep up with the air cutter I had...I have since grinded the area down to smooth rough edges and put paint over it to prevent rusting.

I still have to put paint on the lower valence (which you can't see here) and remount the lip to it then the front end will be finished.

Now onto the next project, resto-fenders.
pinoyxpryde
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by pinoyxpryde on March 13th 2008, 2:11 pm

Washed and dried, lip ziptied on Very Happy

It's still a bit flatter than I want. I'm gonna hit it with some rubbing compound today and see if I can get a tiny bit of gloss out of it to get that satin look I want. I have something special planned for that white strip on the front too Wink
pinoyxpryde
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt on March 28th 2008, 1:49 pm

I really like this car. There is one in the next county that has been sitting for a while that I would like to get my hands on Twisted Evil

400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2