The Blue Striped Camaro

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Blue Striped Camaro

Post by tzyoung on December 10th 2007, 2:22 pm

This is a bit of a repeat from the Moparts board but I really like showing off my handiwork.
This the Camaro that my brother and I painted about a year and a half ago. The paint is royal blue and gloss white rustoleum pro.

These are a few pics of the car before we painted it. As you can tell the car needed a little TLC.

Here are some pics of the car just after the paint job was buffed out.

The stripes were painted on the car the same way that stripes were put on show cars in the days of lacquer paint. The stripe pattern was taped off first and the blue color coat was rolled/sprayed on. After the blue was dry, the tape was removed to reveal the bare area where the stripes should go. The blue paint was taped off and the white paint was applied in the stripe area. When all the paint was applied the masking was removed and the edges of the stripes were sanded down level so that the stripe transition can't even be felt anymore.

Here are a few more pictures that attest to the paint's durability. These were taken a year after the paint job was finished.

Unfortunately, I neglected to take progress photos when we painted the car mainly due to the time constraint and the fact that it was all a big experiment anyway. When I paint my Accord in the next few weeks, I will try to be more thorough and show my process in more detail. I think I will also try the Brightside approach on my beloved Honda. I'd better go order some paint.

-Trent
tzyoung
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 60
Job/hobbies : engineering student/Cars and RC planes
Project : 89 Camaro, 89 Honda Accord
Registration date : 2007-12-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Blue Striped Camaro

Post by Matt on December 10th 2007, 4:09 pm

looks great man

400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 563
Project : Ford Ranger Splash
Registration date : 2007-12-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bob84 on December 11th 2007, 12:44 am

That Camaro looks great.

That and the admins Ranger are what give me the confidence to paint my vette.

bob84
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 49
Project : 1984 corvette

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt on December 11th 2007, 8:17 am

i should be posting new pictures of my truck this weekend if the weather lets up. I'll try to get some nice sunny pictures for everybody.

400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave74 on December 11th 2007, 1:09 pm

That method with the stripes should help with other projects.

I'm putting a "painted on halo roof" on the runner clone, and this method should work with that and the striping of the bulge hood and trunk lid.

Thanks!

Good job with the Camaro. . .I owned a 79 one time. . .it just didn't feel right to drive a g.m. when I had owned all Mopars up to that time.
Dave74
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tzyoung on December 11th 2007, 4:49 pm

Hey Bob84,
I'm sure you have already seen this if you have been following the other boards, but a fellow named Darrin (I don't recall his moparts tag) did a really nice 76 vette in gloss black. It can be found at http://spokanehotrod.spaces.live.com/blog/cns

In fact, if rusto lays out as well on fiberglass as it does on plastic bumpers then that may be the ideal way to paint a corvette. My grandpa has an 83 and every bc/cc paint job he has put on it spider webbed in about a year. This paint seems pretty flexible and might keep that from happening.

Dave74,
Good luck with the striping on your road runner. I never said the process wasn't time consuming, but when someone else rubs over the lines and notices no bumps or ridges thats all the better.
I hope no one holds it against be for being a gm fan. My baby is a 65 bel-air with a 230 I-6, factory AC, power brakes and a powerglide. It is in the bodywork stages right now. I doubt I roller that one though. Wink

-Trent
tzyoung
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt on January 15th 2008, 1:03 pm

Hey man how are the bumpers holding up? Every camaro, vette, firbird, transam, etc... with the plastic bumpers that I've seen ends up with spider cracks. Just curious how well the rolled on paint holds together on a flexing surface

400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tzyoung on January 15th 2008, 2:11 pm

The paint hasn't cracked at all since we painted them. The only thing is that the existing cracks do show through because we didn't really take the time to sand them out. For some reason the front bumpers take a lot of damage on these cars and the bumper is showing some road rash but no flex cracks. I would have no reservations painting urethane or fiberglass with this paint.
tzyoung
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by karlbasher on January 15th 2008, 3:40 pm

one thing i will say about urathane because my lip is urathane is that it is hella hard to cover it all up from my experience
karlbasher
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 83
Registration date : 2007-12-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tzyoung on January 15th 2008, 5:14 pm

That may be true if starting from a stripped bumper. But I found that the paint covered the plastic bumpers better than the metal in both projects. That could also have a lot to do with position on the car and the fact that you cant tell as much about the paint where they don't get full on sunlight like a hood or deck lid might. Thats an interesting observation though. I would like to hear what experiences others have had with this.
tzyoung
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt on January 19th 2008, 4:17 am

I painted my bed on my ranger which is fiberglass and I haven't had any problems so far. Given it's only been about 3 months since I finished it but as of right now it still looks as good as it did the day I rolled it on.

400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top