The notorious California primer and roll on paint jobs

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The notorious California primer and roll on paint jobs

Post by Brian10962001 on February 2nd 2008, 3:41 pm

I've never really found an answer to this but in the early 90's/late 80's GM painted all California cars with a crap water based primer. If you were unfortunate and got this primer on your car it would break down over time and your paint comes right off. I unfortunatly have this crap paint. My question is will I have to strip ALL of this primer down to the metal then prep and etching prime before I do a roll on paint job? I've heard that the rustoleum is self etching paint so can I simply use it on the bare metal? Or finally do I even have to strip the primer completley off? Thanks in advance for any help guys.
Brian10962001
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2008-02-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The notorious California primer and roll on paint jobs

Post by JMJ Rick on February 2nd 2008, 4:02 pm

Hey Brian, I'm no professional but if I was concerned the primer failed I would want it all stripped off. Rusto is designed to paint directly on bare metal but I would probably prime a coat or two with primer tinted with the paint color. But that is just me.

I painted over a couple bare spots and it took more coats to cover them spots. Next time I will prime those areas first.
JMJ Rick
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 114
Job/hobbies : Printshop owner
Project : 91 Geo Storm GSi, 93 Geo Storm, 66 Chevy pickup
Registration date : 2007-12-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by pinoyxpryde on February 2nd 2008, 6:24 pm

i would say go over the whole car with something really rough to get all of the crappy primer thats ready to come off, then see if you cant featheredge what's left of it for smooth transitions. if it hasnt come off in 10+ years im sure it'll keep holding on with proper prep
pinoyxpryde
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2008-01-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top