a question about rustoleum paint

View previous topic View next topic Go down

a question about rustoleum paint

Post by 98ls1ttop on February 4th 2008, 1:44 am

my wheels on my gst are looking a little nappy, so i thought, hey, this rustoleum stuff would work good on wheels being tough as it is!.....so i sanded 2 wheels down and started painting. i noticed that the fine angles of the wheels the paint just rolled off of and did not stick too well. i put 2 coats on and wet sanded and everything was looking good besides the sharp corners (see pics). when i bought the rustoleum paint i bought 2 spray cans just in case ...dunno why but i did lol. when i seen the paint not sticking too well i grabbed my paint cans and shot 2 coats on it with it. turned out a LOT better. my question is this, do you think that the rustoleum enamel in the spray can will hold up as good as the regular paint? i plan on wetsanding and putting about 2 or 4 more coats on it. but i am hardly getting any orangepeel and its looking good. Question #2: im gonna pull the bumpers and side skirts of the car to paint them, and i thought about shooting them through a gravity fed gun. is all i have to do is thin it and shoot it? will it hold up as good? i planned on wetsanding after every coat since it will likely cover more. and then rolling the rest of the car so i dont have to tape much. any suggestions?

Wheel before painting

After 2 coats of rustoleum (before wetsand)

After 2 coats of rustoleum, wetsanded, then 2 rustoleum spray bomb:

98ls1ttop
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2008-01-31

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: a question about rustoleum paint

Post by Roadking41a on February 4th 2008, 2:16 am

I tried out the Hammered Spray Paint by Rustoluem in Copper color it went on great and held up great since Aug. I'm going to repaint them a Silver Hammered and I'll post pictures in my post in the project thread when I'm done.
Roadking41a
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

Number of posts : 300
Project : undecided
Registration date : 2008-01-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by pinoyxpryde on February 4th 2008, 6:11 pm

i've used duplicolor's wheel coating spray paint before and i was outstandingly impressed, ill see if i can find pics in the ol hard drive
pinoyxpryde
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2008-01-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by quasikeaggy on February 7th 2008, 12:38 pm

the wheels look like they are coming out great! you've inspired me to repaint the wheels on my '71 super beetle.

one question... what grit sandpaper did you use initially to prep the wheels? did you wetsand? thanks.
quasikeaggy
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2008-02-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top