Spraying

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Spraying

Post by JamesScudder on February 4th 2008, 10:36 am

Hi Guys,

Sorry I haven't posted in a while, hope everyone is ok, well I've decided to spray the paint onto my car instead of rolling it, as I don't really have the time to roll it on. So I brought myself an electric paint sprayer, which I done a sideskirt in about 2 minutes, so was amazed by that, however, the paint seems to have runs in it and just seems to be drying patchy, its only a cheap sprayed I have, so that could be the reason but it seemed to be flowing ok. I think I may have mixed the paint wrong, I done 400ml paint and 400ml thinner, is this correct for a gun? Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

J
JamesScudder
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2008-01-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Spraying

Post by JMJ Rick on February 4th 2008, 3:30 pm

Having never sprayed this kind of paint I am not sure of the mix but others have said they did 50/50 and it worked fine. However, if you are getting runs chances are you are applying the paint too thick. If you did one sideskirt in 2 minutes you put on too much paint too fast. Go with several thin coats vs. a few thicker coats. Lightly cover the area, more like rattle can painting, barely cover the area with several light coats, each coat will cover more. How long you wait between coats will depend on how thick you put it on. You might be able to start the next coat right away after you completed one coat on the whole car and end up applying 4 or 5 light coats.

I've used one of them electric sprayers to paint a garage, I was not impressed and never used it again.
JMJ Rick
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 114
Job/hobbies : Printshop owner
Project : 91 Geo Storm GSi, 93 Geo Storm, 66 Chevy pickup
Registration date : 2007-12-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JamesScudder on February 4th 2008, 3:37 pm

Sorry mate, should have said that was only one coat and not finished, it might just be the sprayer, il see how it turns out in the morning, some parts look really good, just some parts look really bad
JamesScudder
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMJ Rick on February 4th 2008, 4:33 pm

My bad, I thought you had loaded up the sideskirt with paint.
The electric sprayer I used years ago did not spray very even, hopefully they have improved over the years.
The blotchyness shou go away with each coat, the runs you'll have to fix. Might just be a case of getting use to the sprayer. I know of others who have used them and said it worked just fine, so it is possible.

A suggestion, maybe you could keep a roller handy to lightly smooth out the runs. Not to "roller" the paint, but lightly roll over the run to smooth and remove excess paint. Kind of like the "tipping" method to remove roller marks and bubbles.
JMJ Rick
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 114
Job/hobbies : Printshop owner
Project : 91 Geo Storm GSi, 93 Geo Storm, 66 Chevy pickup
Registration date : 2007-12-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JamesScudder on February 4th 2008, 5:00 pm

sounds good I will give it a go mate, cheers!
JamesScudder
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by btldigger on February 4th 2008, 6:27 pm

You might try 3 parts paint to 1 part thinner. That will make it less prone to run.
btldigger
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2007-12-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mazdawg78 on February 5th 2008, 12:00 pm

spraying doesnt have to be near as thin as rolling

mazdawg78
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 71
Registration date : 2007-12-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Oneabsolute on February 11th 2008, 7:33 pm

Has anyone tried spraying with either one of these from Harbor Frieght Tools? Would you recommend trying one?

Electric HVLP Sprayer
or

HIGH VOLUME LOW PRESSURE COMPLETE SPRAY KIT
Oneabsolute
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2008-02-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

HF electric sprayer

Post by brokenjack on April 21st 2008, 2:07 pm

I've used the bottom (gray) sprayer to paint my kids wagon, and I thought it worked great. I think you need to play around with the needles and thinner to get what you want. I started shooting the rustoleum rusty metal primer with the stock 1.8mm needle, without adjusting anything, thinned 4:1 like it said on the can. It went on pretty heavy and I went through the paint fast. Didn't really get too many runs. I eventually switched to the 1.5mm needle and thinned the topcoat down a bit more. I think like 2:1. Anyway I was pretty impressed, so impressed, I think I'm gonna paint my car with it. The temp at the time was in the 50's I think, so I'll probably futz around a bit more with the gun and paint to see if I can't come up with a decent combination. Oh yeah, it did orange peel a bit, but hey, it's my kid's wagon.
brokenjack
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 12
Job/hobbies : TV/Film Director
Project : 1969 MK III Triumph Spitfire
Registration date : 2008-04-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content