[ 4 ]
29% 29% 
[ 4 ]
42% 42% 
[ 6 ]

Total Votes : 14

Re: 1984 El Camino

Post by cyberized on March 21st 2008, 11:59 am

JMJ - TKS for some feedback on my "BUFF to Perfection" query - that is exactly what I needed to know and was thinking that would be the case.
A couple of questions: 1] Did you wait like a month before you started buffing it out like that? 2] In your pre-Buff sanding did you go like 800, 1000, 1500 and then Buff? 3]What buffing compound/polish did you use that worked well to get the sanding marks out and leave a HIGH Polish? What kind of Buffer did you use?

TKS Michael
cyberized
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 65
Job/hobbies : Retired
Project : 1984 El Camino Conquista
Registration date : 2008-02-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMJ Rick on March 22nd 2008, 1:30 am

Hey Michael, glad to help. I may not have all the answers, but I can share what worked for me. Smile

1) I did a buffing two days after the last coat, but wasn't happy with the shine. It was shiny all right, but not like the fresh coat shine you get before sanding. I read up on the forums and figured out I wasn't trying hard enough. I waited 2-3 weeks and buffed again, this time spending lots more time on each panel really getting into the polishing, about 8 hours of polish/buffing. Then a coat of turtle wax applied by hand and mostly removed by hand then power buffed clean.
2) My pre buff sanding was just 1500. I sanded with one grade each time, sanding between the two coats with progression from 600 first sanding, 800 second, 1000 third & fourth, then only 1500 after the final coat. Next time I will find some 2000, although I didn't see any sanding marks after polish and buff.
3) I used turtle wax polishing compound and a nice craftsman random orbital buffer I got for Christmas. I'll try to remember to look at what model it is next time I'm in the garage. First buffing I used turtle wax polishing paste. I was going to try a different brand, but turtle wax brand was recomended as it isn't extreemly harsh. I used turtle wax polish again the second time but went with the liquid instead of paste and was much happier with how it went. You could probably get a little faster results with a stronger polish, but I was afraid of burning through the paint. I might try one of the other brands next time now that I've done it once and not so chicken.

I don't know if waiting to buff helped any or if it was that I put lots more effort and time into it. It did take time to learn how to use the power buffer too. I hear many have waited to buff to give the paint time to cure and I think that is a good idea. I would probably wait at least a few weeks to a month next time as the paint being only 2 days old may not have dried hard enough to get a good buffing. I would probably wait until just before buffing to do the final wet sand, but that is only because I wouldn't want to drive around in a car sanded dull for a month. Smile

Rick
JMJ Rick
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 114
Job/hobbies : Printshop owner
Project : 91 Geo Storm GSi, 93 Geo Storm, 66 Chevy pickup
Registration date : 2007-12-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cyberized on March 23rd 2008, 1:52 pm

RICK,
TKS for more info.
FRI I re-wet sanded my hood out with 800 and also the top and several smaller areas where there was little runs or orange peel. This time hoping to get that "perfect smooth final coat on the hood, I splurged, spent more $ and bought a can of Penetrol to add alongwith my MS. I think it did help some BUT while the hood did come out better - I can't believe it I still have a few of those lousy places where you see "ridges" where applications over-lapped. Don't know why but my very first coat on the hood had a lot less imperfections like that -especially on one side the paint laid down perfectly smooth and I don't seem to be doing anything different.

I am getting BURNT OUT and while I "MAY" still sand down the hood one more time and re-paint it - - - I am leaning toward trying to correct everything via a Meq's G110 [buffer] and compound\polish and Color Sanding with 1000\1500. I am going to start "undressing" my baby next - the fun of trying to get all of that maksing tape off w/o lifting any paint.
It looks like a MILLION [from a distance] and hope\pray it still will close up after the buffing out process.

ROLL ON! Michael
cyberized
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMJ Rick on March 23rd 2008, 5:19 pm

Don't give up. Wet sanding was enough to take out any improfections I had. If the hood is covered good just try sanding to get the ridges and orange peel out, then use the buffer. If you don't burn through any paint sanding you are ready to polish and buff.

As for the tape, wipe the tape with a rag covered in MS to help release the glue. Then pull the tape by pulling it back over itself slowly. Don't pull the tape straight out away from the body, fold it back over itself and pull along the body. Make sense?

Pics? Smile
JMJ Rick
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cyberized on March 25th 2008, 8:27 pm

[img][/img][img][/img]

TKS Rick - - - Onward and Upward! Here she is after the past 2 days and maybe 10 hours taking the tape off and removing over paint on trim etc. Have to give KUDOS to the manufacters of that Blue Painter's Tape - much of mine has been on there for 1 3/4 months and while it took some time and patience to get it off in many places - I did NOT pull any paint with it.

GLAD you cannot see the paint in many places up close right now, looks like a millon from a distance............NOW the real Finish work will beging probably next week......I will start using a DA Random-Orbital Buffer and various pads and coumpound, polish etc. to "color sand" out areas of some orange peel and even small runs. The guys over at Mequier's On Line say that using the type of buffer I will use to Compound with will NOT work - that one has to use a Rotary for that. BUT I read in the huge Mopar Roller thread alot of those guys were using the PC 7424 to put compound and then polish and wax on. I am sure going to try just that - using mainly Poor Boy Products [read great reviews on them].

My little Poodle and I are Riding TALL now - even if it not totally finished - Hee Hee!

ROLL ON ! Michael
cyberized
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by megaglow_z on March 25th 2008, 9:17 pm

OK....ill say this first.
I owned a 71 elcamino. and did not like the newer style like yours.

Now ill say this...I would rock that baby any day of the week!
Very sharp man! you have alot to be proud of there!
And i know ALOT of people that do paint correction with the PC 7424....it takes longer,but i think thats what we actualy want..lol

Just make sure you let the polishing compound break down so you dont leave scratches!
megaglow_z
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

Number of posts : 261
Job/hobbies : Autoglass tech
Project : 81 Yota
Registration date : 2007-12-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMJ Rick on March 25th 2008, 9:29 pm

Looks nice! thumbs up
I had a 74 F-250 years ago with very simular colors. Always liked the Dark Blue/Light Blue combo. Your choice in how to divide the colors is perfect in my opinion.
Keep us posted on the results with polishing and buffing.
JMJ Rick
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadking41a on March 26th 2008, 12:30 pm

Looks Great!!!! Can't wait to see it buffed out.
Roadking41a
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

Number of posts : 300
Project : undecided
Registration date : 2008-01-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cyberized on March 27th 2008, 12:30 pm

I ordered one of the NEW Mequier's G110 DA Buffer with alot of various Pads and alot of Poorboy Product to use on it.........it all has shipped and supposed to get here 4/2,,,,,,,,feels like Xmas all over again.......a White one at that.....it has been snowing a tad here these past two days even down to 1000' elevation. BUT they say Spring weather may return this weekend and they show some sunny times ahead next week......so I'lll be able to start experimenting with my NEW toy.

I kind of wish I had laid down at least one more coat of paint on my hood though - - - the 4 coats that i put on it were heavier than most did and actually should have been thinner - I would have had less "texture" to buff out for sure. BUT I will go for it and IF I have to - I will mask off just the hood and wipe it sand it down again and wipe with MS and re-paint - that is the nice thing about "our" roller jobs - I have at least 1/2 QT of DK Blue left.

ROLL ON ! Michael
cyberized
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMJ Rick on March 27th 2008, 6:50 pm

At least with the roller method you have the option of touching up just one panel. I too had wished I did just one more coat on my hood. Not that it is bad, but I can look really close and point out where the coverage isn't quite 100%. Of course I am the only one who knows, and someday I might add one more coat just to make myself feel better. Dang obsesive/complusive disorder. Smile
JMJ Rick
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cyberized on March 28th 2008, 12:06 pm

Hee Hee Hee!!!.......I hear ya!
cyberized
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt on March 28th 2008, 2:15 pm

Car looks great man. How does it feel to save so much money and have an outstanding paintjob? The best part is when people ask you how much it set you back Laughing

400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 563
Project : Ford Ranger Splash
Registration date : 2007-12-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cyberized on March 28th 2008, 3:06 pm

TKS Matt.....YEPPERS, it is feeling GOOD, can't help but feel, like you fellow veteran rollers, PROUD, to have done it "yourself", and the HOW you did it really does drop their jaws. I paid alot more to do mine than you did because I ended up buying 3 QTS of Brightside @ $30 a pop and then all of my materials [which I still can and will use] - I have around $200 in my job - BUT that beats the "H" out of what I would have had to pay to have it done.
Thank GOD that I found about this method and ALL of the tips and tricks of the trade I learned at the Moparts Thread and right HERE from you and others.
I am sure that after my Buffer and everything gets here and I put it to use that it will REALLY REALLY look GREAT - like your nice Yellow Ride.
Even now me and my Toy Poodle are a ridin' TALL! Really makes a difference just driving it compared to before and am getting LOOKS!

ROLL ON ! Michael
cyberized
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt on March 28th 2008, 3:35 pm

Yeah well i'm glad you are happy with the results. It also gave others on the forums inspiration and the opportunity to see a ride well done.

400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 563
Project : Ford Ranger Splash
Registration date : 2007-12-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMJ Rick on March 28th 2008, 10:12 pm

I still get the looks, kind of cracks me up I never noticed people looking so close at my car before. Took some getting use to, but now I just wave and smile.
JMJ Rick
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cyberized on March 29th 2008, 1:39 pm

I can SEE why - your ride is looking TIGHT and BRIGHT too, I might ADD! HeeHee
cyberized
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Batjac on March 30th 2008, 7:43 pm

[quote="cyberizedGLAD you cannot see the paint in many places up close right now, looks like a millon from a distance............NOW the real Finish work will beging probably next week......I will start using a DA Random-Orbital Buffer and various pads and coumpound, polish etc. to "color sand" out areas of some orange peel and even small runs. The guys over at Mequier's On Line say that using the type of buffer I will use to Compound with will NOT work - that one has to use a Rotary for that. BUT I read in the huge Mopar Roller thread alot of those guys were using the PC 7424 to put compound and then polish and wax on. I am sure going to try just that - using mainly Poor Boy Products [read great reviews on them].
ROLL ON ! Michael[/quote]

Cyber, didn't notice you were in Beaverton when I first started reading this thread. I've been following the roll-on since it started two years ago on the Mopart board, but I've been wanting to see one in person. I live over by the Hillsboro airport. Maybe I can come over and take a gander at your project when you're though with the buff, and I can tell everyone on the board how great your pant job looks.

Mark McRiley
Batjac
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2008-01-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cyberized on March 31st 2008, 12:22 pm

Mark - You are more than welcome anytime. I live in a old Senior Mobile Home Park right near Hall and Allen.
Sounds like this buffing out orange peel etc. is going to be quite a project too - but FINALLY we are supposed to get some weather that will permit me to work on it again......will report further progress here.

PS - Truthfully, I think you'd be impressed and become a "believer" after seeing it even now - before it has "buffed out". Everyone that has seen it can not believe it was done with a roller.

ROLLING ON ! Michael
cyberized
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMJ Rick on March 31st 2008, 3:12 pm

Hey Mark, if you ever take a trip up north I'll show you my storm too. Don't know if you come this way ever, but if you do I'm in the Everett area just north of Seattle about 30 miles or so.

I think you should go look at Michael's paint now then again after it is finished.
JMJ Rick
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cyberized on April 4th 2008, 8:04 pm

Next and LAST stage has begun.....I thought that worst of the WORK was behind me - WRONG! I received my new DA Buffer and all the products and pads to start finishing the paint job.......so 2 days ago I started on 1/2 the hood and a fender, I sanded till I was blue in the face trying to get out orange peel and uneven roller marks....I finally burnt out and decided to see what this new buffer with the orange pad and PB's SSR 2.5 would do, maybe I didn't have to sand anymore [wish - wish]. I got carried away and buffed the whole hood and it actually looked pretty gosh darn good - but when you looked closely you could still see MANY of those areas that I really did not get sanded out completely. At that point I was thinking that the Polish and Wax to come would "hide" alot of this crap.
A NEW Day - - - decided to get a more aggressive cutting pad and go at it again...this I did, plus the shop man talked me into trying Meg's #84 instead of the PB 2.5.......I just spent another at least 2 hours sanding that same side of the hood......GOOD & BAD......the good, I think I finally have all those places out enough that they will not show after compound buffing; the BAD, I spotted a very small spot where all of my sanding took it's toll, I went thru my DK Blue [3/8 - 1/4"] BUT I will be darned if I am going to re-paint it because of it - so If you don't tell, I won't either.
The Polish and Wax I will be using have blue pigment in them - hope they HIDE that spot.
I am going to probably stay with my Orange Pad and the PB SSR 2.5 on this side of the hood now that I have it smooth - woulod HATE to have the more aggressive compound and pad go thru the paint even more.
This is going to take alot of time and sore muscles to samd and buff out this paint - BUT - it should really be something - I took a little of the PB Blu Carnuba Polish and tried it out in couplle of places and WOW!!!! Could not believe it - beautiful mirror/wet like finish.....that encouragedd me to get the hood bad spots out completely so it would REALLY look nice. This 5.5 lb buffer quickly increases in weight as one uses it...I think it weighed about 100 lbs yesterday when I quit [Hee Hee].

ROLL ON! Michael
cyberized
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMJ Rick on April 5th 2008, 11:44 pm

Oh boy, do you know how to have fun or what!
I won't tell about the spot on your car if you don't tell about mine. Smile
Keep up the work and just think of the workout you are getting and muscles you are building. Ha Ha
JMJ Rick
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cyberized on April 6th 2008, 4:17 pm

Hee Hee Hee, Mr. Rick - The FUN goes on and on and now I have to make a BIG decision........I went out in this late Winter weather, between showers today, and broke out the new G110 Buffer again to see how my more aggressive compound and pad would do and that is when I saw 2 other places where I went thru my DK Blue, this time on the fender - where I broke out maybe 600 to get a run out, boy did I get it out - right down to original paint in two places. I think now that I am going to have to wet sand the whole front end again and re-paint it - - - if so, I will definitely make sure that my paint is THIN, thin, thin - maybe two coats.
To add insult to injury - I decided to STOP trying to perfect that font after seeing those eye sore spots and I went to work on the Lt Blue or. peel on the top.....and I see a couple similar spots there too - - - sand thru top coat and next coat is a different lt. blue.
BUMMER!
I have rolled myself into a BLUE FUNK!!!

Michael
cyberized
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMJ Rick on April 6th 2008, 5:07 pm

Bummer! Well at least you can fix it as easy as a couple coats of paint. Burning through the paint was my biggest worry. I was such a chicken when it came to polish/buff it took me way too long to get the shine. I really think the key is to smooth as you go between coats so you are not dealing with extreem OP after the final coat.
JMJ Rick
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cyberized on April 6th 2008, 5:55 pm

You are RIGHT - one needs to SMOOTH things out between each coat, I though that I had done that - BUT -apparently not good enough. I am totally amazed at how hard it is correct those irregularities in the paint - I noticed that even after today's little work that some of those places I believed I had totally smoothed out after 2 sessions [total 5 hours] BUT after I rubbed some polish on one area and buffed it up....if you look closely there is still some BAD left in the coat -
BUT - a GOOD thing, when you polish it up it is HARD to see all of these places and I would probably have to point them out to someone.
I am having 2nd thoughts at this point of the "game" - I may just live with these bad places - keep it nice and shiny and keep me mouth shut about it..........and maybe re-paint in the Fall or next Spring. ??????? It's hard to get UP for painting it again now - when I thought I was done with that.

You must be using a rotary Buffer eh, Rick?

Michael
cyberized
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMJ Rick on April 6th 2008, 7:03 pm

It is a Craftsman 10 inch random orbital buffer. Not sure what model. Got it for Christmas! Smile
JMJ Rick
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content