Job/hobbies : Autoglass tech
Project : 81 Yota
Registration date : 2007-12-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 1984 El Camino

Post by cyberized on April 7th 2008, 5:49 pm

We.......demand......more.....PICS!!!!!

Roger Dat! and will do, AFTER I get it ALL Finished , buffing, polishing & waxing......BUT......right now I am waiting till this weekend, we are finally supposed to get a couple days around 60 w/o rain, I have lined up my neighbor's car port.........and I will be re-painting the hood and front fenders.........and the top [Lt Blue]. Will be hoping and praying that I can finally get some GOOD leveling w/o OP and roller marks etc. so I can then leave those areas alone for a week or so as I do finish buffing etc. on the rest of the car while it sets up enough to work on.

Rick - guess you can call me "MONK" - can't live with those places I sanded thu to original paint......went to Home Depot [again] got more rollers and paint pans etc....for this weekend.
I don't think you probably have to worry about burning your paint with that random/orbital buffer - they say it next to impossible to do it with one of those.....my new one is also RO ....... I would definoitely burn mine with a rotary.

ROLLING ON.............laters, Michael
cyberized
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 65
Job/hobbies : Retired
Project : 1984 El Camino Conquista
Registration date : 2008-02-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMJ Rick on April 8th 2008, 1:58 am

ROFLOL, "MONK" My hero. I have been called that a few times myself, my wife said it is like watching me on TV. OCD is not a handicap, it is a blessing. I wouldn't have such a nice looking paint job if it weren't for my Obsesive Complusive nature. Oh darn, now I want to go fix that one spot on my fender. Thanks Michael now I have to fix it. Smile

Roll On !!!
JMJ Rick
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 114
Job/hobbies : Printshop owner
Project : 91 Geo Storm GSi, 93 Geo Storm, 66 Chevy pickup
Registration date : 2007-12-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cyberized on April 17th 2008, 1:22 pm

I have had a HARD time returning here to tell you the latest BUT not Greatest News. On 4-12 I will have been working, as weather etc. permitted, on this Elky paint job for 2 months. The way it is going it may last the rest of me life.
Two weekends ago - we had a break in this late Winter/Spring weather and I had it all prepped again to repaint the top lt. Blue and the hood and one front fender to correct bad spots from the time before - - - I pulled it into my neighbor's car port and went to work on it that SAT after it hit over 50 degrees.........it appeared that the Lord answered prayers, especially on the hood and fender, I got a pretty NICE and smooth/level roll out; and on the top, I used Matt's technique of rolling from inside the bed, instead of from side to side - which always created this terrible grainy spot in the middle where the oll overs met..........that part of it went real WELL. BUT.....the BAD spot on the top where I had sanded thru to a different Lt Blue beneath, I believe I actually may have even missed repainting [that was the purpose of all the total repaint]. In her carport I cannot standup all the way to roll and being hunched over in very uncomfy position definitely handicaps one - and the longer you have to work that way the worse it gets. So another BOTCHED correction! After paint had set too much to do anything about it....I noticed this spot that I rolled right by without painting at all - and it was in the neighborhood of the spot I was repainting everything in order to get a match. This two tone mixing has turned into my nemisis. I decided not to worry about it that when I wet sanded with 2000 or 2500 maybe it would all blend in..........and the hood looked so good initially I decided to skip that "one more coat" planned for the next day, just to be sure. I pulled it out into the light and my own parking space and looked it over closer and although the hood looked best yet.....I noticed that one spot where I had sanded thru to primer before was barely visible down thru this new coat......I surmised that after maybe several details it would be really standing out and I needed to do that re-paint next day of just the hood..........but I forgot to either clean the roller or store it when I should have....so by the time it dawned on me.....I went to get it and it was kind of stiffened up on one side.....I bagged it and put it in freezer anyway....[did not have anymore new ones] and next day before using it I tried to rejuvenate some with Thinner baths, worked a little but not really enough. Thus - my repainting the hood again that day was a mini-nightmare........ended up the WORST ever for OP and roller leave off marks etc.
Some GOOD news though........after wet sanding he H out of the hood and using my DA Buffer with Meg's #84 I could see that with some more time and work that the hood would end up looking GREAT eventually.......then my Brand NEW Meg's G110 DIED yesterday after only about 3 hours use total. They told me to ship it back and they are replacing ALL or most of their first batch with NEW ones with defects fixed this next month....till then I will be looking at alot of areas wher OP has been sanded down till I can get it buffed out.
BACK to the top of the Elky, the Lt Blue area, NOT as GOOD of news there I am afraid, the gentle sanding with least grit sandpaper did NOT work, in fact it has enlarged the area where now darker blue peeks thru lighter blue,,,,,and along the gutter area shere I generally use a 1" brush to paint around and then use a roller into that 1" strip to blend together.....that did not happen evidentally, I have a darker blue all along that one side of the gutter on top. The whole top needs to be re-painted again and I am about out of paint. I have gone thru right close to 2 QTs of DK BLU and have less than a 1/3 QT of Lt Blu. I was going to try and just buff and polish the whole darn thing out at this tage of the game andtry not to think about it....it looks absolutely beautiful from a distance.
BUT - - - - as the dust/paint settles, I have decided, "in for a penney, in for a pound"......I will order more paint and repaint that LT Blu top with two coats while I wait for my Buffer to be replaced.

PS------one TIP for anyone who decides to paint with a color that you mixed yourself, I figured this out too late, When I initially bought my 1st load of supplies for this project - I bought a new empty QT Paint Can......then sometime later I thought what a waste that was.....NOW, I realize that I should have used that darn thing to mix up one nice big batch of mixed color so I would have it all the same......that is what I will do when I get another qt of lt blue.

PSS - Probably the BEST thing, for ME, that this project has done, with all of it's ups and downs, aches and pains etc........it has gotten this overweight 68 year old 'puter attic.....off of his duff and off of my 'puter and I established a daily WORK habit again,,,,,,,,I have LOST weight and feel better all the way around.....and hope/pray to use this new energy etc. to return to doing my Art Work [painting] when I finally finish this BIG work of art called ELKY.

Whew - I'm POOPED,

ROLL ON! Michael
cyberized
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMJ Rick on April 17th 2008, 2:32 pm

Michael, Sorry to hear the sad news of oops and boo-boo's, but you are helping so many people by sharing. Smile

It is good to have a project to put time on, helps the mind refocus forcing the body to be active. lol
Once the paint is finally done get that other brush going and post some pics. Maybe you can sell a piece or two to a fellow roller.
JMJ Rick
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 114
Job/hobbies : Printshop owner
Project : 91 Geo Storm GSi, 93 Geo Storm, 66 Chevy pickup
Registration date : 2007-12-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cyberized on April 22nd 2008, 3:48 pm

[img][/img]
Photo of work sanding out OP and preparing to Buff
[img][/img]
Re-Paint of hood, 5th or 6th coat, to cover places where I sanded thru while after OP - -- this coat came out GREAT! BUT still some old primer lightly showing...so re-painted and it came out TERRIBLE [lots of OP]
BUT sanding and buffing it out - will take time!

[img][/img]
Shot of some OP on the hood.
[img][/img]

Here is the reason that I have to re-paint the top again.....in light sanding prior to buff out.....found a different Lt Blue comes thru there and all along the "gutter" toward back of that area. Next paintable weather will try two coats of SAME Lt. Blue and hopefully, Lord Willing, can get on with ALL of the finish color sanding and buffing it out.

ROLL ON! Michael
cyberized
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadking41a on April 27th 2008, 6:27 pm