Wetsanding

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Wetsanding

Post by Matt on December 11th 2007, 11:48 am

You have to wetsand after every other coat to keep the finish smooth, give the paint something to adhere to, and reduce orange peel. During my project I picked up a few techniques that may be helpful to you. If you put a few squirts of dishwashing liquid in with your wetsanding water it will allow the paper to slide easier across the panel. Using just water to wetsand on fresh paint will sometimes form a suction and stick to the panel. This gets pretty frustrating when your trying to hold onto the paper whether by hand or sanding block. If your having these symptoms, try the dishwashing liquid it helped me out. Also I found that if you wetsand lightly enough to where water doesnt bead up on the panel any longer then it's a good time to move on. For example as soon as you spray water on the freshly dried paint it will bead up like it's been waxed really well. Use plenty of water and lightly sand the panel until when you spray water on it again that section doesn't bead up and roll off. Not sure if this applies to normal paintjobs but it worked great for me. Doing it this way also helped me see the places I missed (beaded up area) so I could go back and hit it again. Hope this helps!

Last edited by on December 11th 2007, 2:10 pm; edited 2 times in total

400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 563
Project : Ford Ranger Splash
Registration date : 2007-12-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wetsanding

Post by Dave74 on December 11th 2007, 1:14 pm

I find that you can wetsand well by learning how the sanding block/sponge moves across the surface. I sand in the same direction and when you first start (with only the weight of the sanding block) you'll feel it grab as you move through the sanding motion. Continue sanding in one place until the grabbing stops and the black moves over the surface like it's sliding on ice.

It doesn't take long to get the feel down! And I agree, Dawn works wonders!
Dave74
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt on December 11th 2007, 4:32 pm

Yeah that's what I was talking about. Like it forms a suction underneath the sandpaper and causes it to grip up. You can also hear the sound of the way the sandpaper glides across the surface. When you first start it will sound like rubbing your hand on a piece of paper. Once it's smooth the sound goes away.

400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 563
Project : Ford Ranger Splash

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by FamilyForce6 on July 11th 2011, 5:57 pm

Matt wrote:Yeah that's what I was talking about. Like it forms a suction underneath the sandpaper and causes it to grip up. You can also hear the sound of the way the sandpaper glides across the surface. When you first start it will sound like rubbing your hand on a piece of paper. Once it's smooth the sound goes away.

Matt, what size did you cut your paper for hand sanding? Did you fold it in 1/2? I used dishsoap and it was helpful. I'll have to try the water spray to see what parts I missed.
Thanks
Sean
FamilyForce6
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2011-07-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by retired plumber on July 11th 2011, 10:24 pm

I'm not Matt but I fold mine in 1/4s and I always use dishsoap. You can also tell by the "drag" you feel as to how well its cutting. I can't really explain it very well but You will know what I am talking about after you have done 1/2 a panel. LOL
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1004
Job/hobbies : retired honey does and the occasional custom car (old school)
Project : figuring out how to do metalflake
Registration date : 2008-04-27

View user profile http://glasaholic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by cac1967 on July 11th 2011, 10:34 pm

X2,Mike is right on the money,I use the same method!!!
cac1967
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 562
Job/hobbies : auto parts manager/classic and antique cars
Project : 1964 falcon,1967 mustang fastback
Registration date : 2011-06-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content