Some available Brightside and Rustoleum colors

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Some available Brightside and Rustoleum colors

Post by Matt on February 12th 2008, 9:12 pm

Here are some color charts for Brightside and Rustoleum. It might not be every color but it's all I could find. I also made this a sticky thread so it's easily accessible

Interlux Brightside:

Rustoleum:

400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 563
Project : Ford Ranger Splash
Registration date : 2007-12-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Rusto Canvas White being discontinued

Post by Nitcat on April 19th 2009, 12:12 pm

Just a heads up. Last year I bought a quart of Rustoleum Gloss Canvas White, and when I went to buy more a few weeks ago, two stores told me it was discontinued. I called another old time hardware store in the area and they called me back and said they found some from their supplier, so I bought four more quarts. I"m hoping that I won't use more than 2 on my 63 Comet wagon project, which would leave me with about 3 quarts for another project or two. It just happens that both the Comet and another old Mercury I have are off white (Polar White was the name given to the full size Merc). Canvas white was the color used on the Falcon project car in Hot Rod Magazine a couple of years ago, and it's a pretty close match.

Too bad that some colors get discontinued. My advice is if you are planning a project, don't get caught short on paint supplies in the color you plan to use.
Nitcat
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 21
Project : 63 Comet wagon, 64 Mercury Park Lane convertible, 62 Shasta camper, 67 Cougar XR7 4 speed
Registration date : 2008-01-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Some available Brightside and Rustoleum colors

Post by JohnnyFr1day on October 24th 2009, 5:23 pm

I have a 77 cutlass supreme that I just bought. I would definitely like to try the rolled on method for redoing the paint job. I have read several posts regarding prep and etc, but because of the interior being green, Id like to keep the exterior that way. Depending on how it would look on the finished product, Im thinking grass green or hunter green. The chrome is falling off my keystone classics, so Im thinking of stripping those and either doing just a light primer/spray on chrome/clear coat on them, Or stripping them and doing that hazard yellow or whatever. The same process for basically all of the chrome and trim parts of the body, either fake chrome or high contrast yellow. Also, Im not sure what to do about the vinyl. Its in pretty good shape, but Im afraid it would look out of place on a grass green/yellow accented car.

I guess this is all more of an opinion question, do you guys think grass green with yellow accents on the chrome pieces, such as trim and emblems would look good or be too much?
JohnnyFr1day
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2009-10-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by retired plumber on October 24th 2009, 6:28 pm

Bearing in mind that I grew up in the lead sled era I will give you my opinion. I don't care for chrome trim that has been painted. Either take it off and fill the holes or replace it. The wrecking yards are full of these kinds of cars. The same can be said for the wheels. However, don't use silver paint on your wheels. They make a silver colored wheel paint (argent is the color) that will take a clear coat and looks pretty good. Chrome paint looks like Sh&% with clear over it. What ever you do, don't paint the wheels yellow. You can always remove the chrome from your wheels and polish them if you want.

They make a interior vinyl dye also that can be found at the auto parts store.
Well, you asked for opinions. I would paint the car green, replace the bad chrome, paint the wheels with argent paint, lower it a bit in the front and go burn some rubber. my cents .
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1004
Job/hobbies : retired honey does and the occasional custom car (old school)
Project : figuring out how to do metalflake
Registration date : 2008-04-27

View user profile http://glasaholic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JohnnyFr1day on October 24th 2009, 6:35 pm

If that argent will work on the wheels, why couldn't I use it on the exterior chrome pieces/bumpers etc? Also, its the vinyl top on the car that may need to be more green, its kind of a beige with a hint of very light green.
JohnnyFr1day
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2009-10-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by retired plumber on October 25th 2009, 5:52 pm

Argent is the silver like paint used on wheels. It dosen't look like chrome but is fine on wheels. Most silver paint that comes in spray cans has small metal flakes that will turn dull and rub off. When clear covers that it will make it look blotchy and uneven in color. They do make a chrome paint that works real well but it needs to be applied by a pro. It is a 4 step (special primer, black, chrome and clear) process and a quart sells for more than your car is worth.
Ask for vinyl dye at the auto parts store or go to a auto paint store and look through their color chips book. you can match from that or even take in a sample of the paint you used and they can computer match if you want the same exact color of vinyl as paint. This will not be as cheap as the auto parts store but you can get the exact color you want. Probably will have to buy a quart at the paint store but I'm not sure about that. Call ahead and ask questions.
I'm not sure if your trim is chrome or stainless steel. If stainless you can polish it to restore it.
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1004
Job/hobbies : retired honey does and the occasional custom car (old school)
Project : figuring out how to do metalflake
Registration date : 2008-04-27

View user profile http://glasaholic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboGeek on October 26th 2009, 6:38 pm

There was a period when it was cool to powdercoat all your chrome black or some other color. That would be good for a late 80's retro look.

Rechroming isn't all that expensive either if you do all the prep work
RoboGeek
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 429
Job/hobbies : Owner/Business Network Solutions
Project : 93 Cavalier
Registration date : 2009-05-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave74 on October 28th 2009, 11:16 am

Eastwood makes a great Argent silver spray wheel paint, and it's close to the original...as close as I could find. Highly recommended. Doesn't have the same flecks you find in the Duplicolor silver wheel paints, and is much more correct.

I'm in agreement with the chrome thing..not real big fan of the painted bumpers on the older lead sleds.... there are ways to do it yourself.
Dave74
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2007-12-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 3bvert on May 30th 2013, 12:26 pm

Is the Brightside paints holding up long term as well as rusto
since it has more color choices available I might look into that brand
3bvert