Number of posts : 300
Project : undecided
Registration date : 2008-01-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 81 toyota old school longbed mini

Post by retired plumber on June 28th 2008, 12:56 am

Larry almost looks like E.T. from that angle.Laughing
I don't know about rusto but most auto paint has what is called a window to respray in. If you are not in that time frame you have to sand before applying more paint but maybe you were planning to sand anyway. When I spray I do it all at once ,waiting for the setup between coats of course.
I would check the can and see what it says. Spraying SHOULD come out smoother then rolling anyway (I would think). Then color sand the final coat if you have to and buff.
Are you still thinking about 2 toning it?
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1004
Job/hobbies : retired honey does and the occasional custom car (old school)
Project : figuring out how to do metalflake
Registration date : 2008-04-27

View user profile http://glasaholic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by megaglow_z on June 28th 2008, 2:30 pm

ya still considering it. Im waiting to get a nice solid coat of black, stick the bumper and grill back on. then ill take a few nice pictures and play with photoshop a little.

The can says respray within 24 hours, but i get alot of nibs and stuff so i sand before i spray anyway Smile
megaglow_z
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

Number of posts : 261
Job/hobbies : Autoglass tech
Project : 81 Yota
Registration date : 2007-12-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by megaglow_z on June 28th 2008, 8:29 pm

another coat....
Please keep in mine im shooting semigloss for the first few coats for the color.
Its all they had and i needed to get some paint on her.

megaglow_z
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by megaglow_z on June 28th 2008, 8:31 pm

I keep having issues with that front pass fender.had to sand it alot to get it smooth but i finaly got it all even now.
There are no runs now, only a few small inverted dents in the bed from when it got smacked.they dont bother me tho Smile

Ill shoot one more coat with this, then spray 2 coats of gloss and try to slick it out after.
megaglow_z
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Coconut Eater on June 28th 2008, 11:48 pm

Why not stick with the semi-gloss? I'm diggin' it! affraid

Coconut Eater
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 47
Job/hobbies : cars, trucks, planes, and guns
Project : 1992 Nissan Sentra SE, and 1984 Dodge D100
Registration date : 2007-12-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by megaglow_z on June 29th 2008, 12:19 am

well......when im done with the last coat of semi-gloss, ill make the call..lol

So far, i cannot get a nice even look out of it, and would have to sand and polish to get it there.
megaglow_z
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by retired plumber on June 29th 2008, 2:48 am

I don't know about that. I would think if you sand and then polish you would have smooth and glossy because that is what the polishing does. Maybe sand with 2000 grit would give a semi-gloss But I don't think even that would work because it would still look sanded and not "finished". Maybe (I'm Just guessing here) Finish with a gloss to get a perfect finish and then if you want semi then put on some semi-gloss clear. I do know that black primer is not easy to get a perfect coat because of no reflection and I know earlier you were talking about that in relation to your job and wanted it to be perfect and shine. It your truck so do what makes you happy. Just something to think about however I vote for shiny otherwise it will look like a "ratrod" in black primer.
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by megaglow_z on June 29th 2008, 3:31 am

That's what i was saying,just cut myself short i guess.
I meant to say im not sure i can get the even finish with the semi-gloss with the conditions i have to paint in now.im having to sand every time to get the nibs and stuff out of it,so i would end up cutting in and polishing the semigloss to get the the trash out and end up with a gloss anyway..lol

only way i could get that done would be to talk my boss into letting me spray the last coat in our shop.....and that ain't happening Sad

Thanks for looking out for me RT Smile
megaglow_z
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by retired plumber on June 29th 2008, 12:35 pm

Just put up some viscreen up in the shed behind where the truck is sitting and make a spray booth there. Dosen't have to be "perfect" you know. Basically something to keep the wind and kamazaki bugs off. If you do that make sure you have a opening for intake air and tape a box fan on the other side to exhaust the fumes and overspray.
I did that with pvc pipe one time and worked real good...........untill the sun hit it and the tempeture went up 20-30 degrees in 10 minutes. I was on the last coat and couldn't stop to put more reducer in the gun and the heat STOPPED the flowout on the bed of the truck. I didn't have orange peel, it was more like craters of the moon. Anyway it was clear coat and was heavy so it sanded down and buffed nice.
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by megaglow_z on June 29th 2008, 3:09 pm

I might end up having to do that.
The table is made out if angle iron and oil field pipe so its really heavy and hard to move.
If i cant get a decent enough day ill have to do that.
megaglow_z
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by megaglow_z on July 6th 2008, 9:54 pm

well....im almost finished!

Got the semigloss to look GREAT!

I decided to pull the front pass fender and redo it bondo and all as i was just not happy with it.
Go figure....that's where i started...lol

anyway, here are a few pics of her all painted except for the fender i pulled.
did take a pic of that cause well....its ugly...lol
Its up on jack stands getting a new pitman arm and lowering it 3/4.

started putting it back together slowly....I admit i have run out of steam working on this thing!

Ill have pics of her next weekend all put together and cleaned up!
megaglow_z
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by retired plumber on July 7th 2008, 12:02 pm

What did you do to get the semi gloss to work for you? Was the last coats sanded? Please share.
I'm not a fan of satin paint but that came out real nice cheers
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by megaglow_z on July 7th 2008, 7:54 pm

I wet sanded the whole truck, waited till it was hot as hell....then mixed a 50/50 mix and just shot enough paint to cover it well.
Ill probably do it one more time after i get the fender done so it all matches.

seems at about 3 in the afternoon here,all the bugs are either hiding from the heat, or have not come out for the evening yet..lol
Its all in how even you get the last coat.if there are any weird patterns in the paint, it would transfer that into the next coat.I would just mist a little black rusto auto primer on it and lightly sand.that way it would not transfer through to the next layer.
the satin paint has a tendency to take on any pattern in the last coat. so the light shot of primer kills it.
megaglow_z
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by megaglow_z on July 7th 2008, 8:43 pm

now i have a dilemma..........
If i think i can pull this off,it would be sweet!
I had a buddy of mine play with a side shot of an 81 toyota that i liked the paint job on in photoshop.

i would need a lot of how to info from you Mike, if i am to try this.

Opinions on what you think of it will weigh heavy on if i do it or not.
I think it looks killer,but i need some unbiased opinions!

here is what it would look like exactly when i finish.

I have no idea on what to use in the way of masking out the lines, how long to wait till i take the tape off, i don't really care if there is a slightly raised paint line, but if you do this, do you have to clear over all of it? that will negate my satin job.
I have seen a flat bottom/gloss top paint job.how did that do that?
megaglow_z
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by retired plumber on July 8th 2008, 1:39 am

No problem. Hope you like to read. Very Happy. I'll try to walk you through. Just ask. I love doing this kind of paint. Its just like unrapping a christmas present for me when the masking comes off.
First, DON"T use the household light brown masking tape. it is a high tack and can pull the paint underneith up, especially if left for several days on fresh paint(don't even ask how I know). The auto paint store sells a green tape especially for this but it is $$$. I use the blue stuff from home depot
,ace,etc and it is designed for house paint and will come up easy for at least 4 days. The way to stop any paint from creeping under the tape is to paint a LITTLE bit around the tape with the base color and this seals the edges real good.
Next. take some measurements so it is the same on both sides and lay out your design with 1/4in or 1/8in tape (makes the corners easy). then go around that with the 3/4 stuff. Then you can use the cheeeep brown stuff to put the masking on with. Just don't get any of that on the paint. Since you are spraying you WILL want to cover the whole truck with masking. Go ahead and use viscrene for this if you want on the big areas.
When you are laying the tape down, stick it good at the start and then pull it straight past your corner and lay it down in one motion and then go back and burnish it down solid. you can then go and bend your corners and do it again for the next one. this gives you straight lines.
If you are out of your repaint window you will have to scuff sand the part to be yellow but that will be easy (you know how now I'm sure Laughing) Then put the yellow on.
If you want the yellow shiny no problem. Leave the masking on and then sand and buff the yellow only. Presto chango, shiny yellow over saitn black.
This is a very easy thing and you can do it. To knock down the raised edges take a single edged razor blade and LIGHTLY scrape the edge. You may want to take the masking off before you do this and will have to remask a bit before buffing it to protect the satin black tho. Depends on how much ridge you can life with.
If you want you can also put clear over the yellow while still masked if you think it will help but not necessry.
You want to ALWAYS take any tape off as soon as you can.
This is no different than painting the black. The only difference is now you are putting down tape edges and if you want shiny you need to buff. Same idea as a racing stripe.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and its your toy so if it turns you on ........go for it. Plus, (to me) the shiny yellow will take it out of the unfinished ratrod catagory which I personally dont care for. That is a nice design and I like it also..........but you have to do something to make Larry stand out tho.
Its late and I hope you overlook my spelling. If you have any more ??? just ask. I love trick painting. One color to me is boring. I like to have some kind of bling .
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by retired plumber on July 8th 2008, 1:53 am

I also like the chrome on the wheels on the photoshop pix. You need shiny on your wheels to make everything POP also. Again, just my opinion. Well, you did ask didn't you?
Again, this is really easy and you CAN do it no problem.
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by retired plumber on July 8th 2008, 2:12 am

I really gotta go to bed but one more idea. If you do this you need to put a pin stripe where your colors meet but the easy way (pinstriping is an art) is to use special striping tape found at the auto parts store. its polyvinal and made for this and comes in many colors. pick a color that looks good with both the black and yellow and if its not in stock they can order it for you. Its not a big thing but will really set the final job off and look finished. put it on just like any tape.
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by 85S10project on July 8th 2008, 7:54 am

I like the black and yellow idea but I also like the semi gloss but then again I use to drive around in a flat black ranger rock
85S10project
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 64
Project : 90 K5 Blazer , 86 S10 Blazer, 91 Camaro RS/SS
Registration date : 2007-12-14

View user profile http://camaroearneasymoney.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by megaglow_z on July 8th 2008, 8:27 pm

thanks for the guide! ill re read it a few times, then goto the paint store and have a look!
I have the truck completely tore down so i have not had to mask anything at all.it has no interior at all.
I would tape off the inside from getting yellow in it tho..lol
Ill be shooting door jambs and all in the yellow and matching the lines.
I have a roll of the green tape and i played with it a little on a test panel.makes a sweet paint line indeed!
Should i pull the tape off right after i know I've done my last coat? or wait till it tacks over or dries completely?

Also i have decided to do the truck in all gloss paint......might as well as i like to wax and polish

Also...where were you thinking of putting a pinstripe on at?
megaglow_z
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by retired plumber on July 9th 2008, 12:25 am

I would let the paint tack off before I pulled the tape but before it gets competely dry because the tape edges will still 'heal" a bit. I would put the pinstripes where the yellow meets the black.A light gray or dark yellow or gold would look good I think plus its fairly cheap.
You will still have to mask off the black tho because you are spraying. I put two colors on a '79 ford truck and didn't get a two foot square in the center of the top covered (bummer). I had to remask the whole truck and repaint just the top'
I think your doing the jambs and edges yellow to match the outside is the way to go, even if it is a bit more work. However, if you do the jambs where will you stop the yellow? I think I would do all the metal inside yellow also and then have the seats,dash,door panels and rug black.Just makes the job look more professional. Something to think about.
You have a LOT of work in this already so you might as well put a bit more and and have a show winner. applaude
What about Larry????
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by retired plumber on July 9th 2008, 1:03 am

I just went back and looked at your photoshop pix and saw where your yellow was in relation to the door edges. If you changed it a bit around your door so the yellow didn't hit the edge you wouldn't have to do the jambs. Well maybe a bit at the top and front of door window and stop it at the jam rubber inside. That way the whole interior could be black. There are a couple of ways you could go here but your pix shows yellow around the window which would extend into the jamb and the rest would be black into the jamb. Decisions, decisions. What to do....LOL. I didn't mean to open another can of worms but better to figure it out now before you have your gun filled and spraying.
Yes, I know...lol... I have been accused of thinking to much and have created problems that way but there is always more than one way to do 99.9% of all projects and I have been trained to look for several ways and weigh the pros and cons before I choose one. That way hopefully all the problems are solved before hand.
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by cyberized on July 9th 2008, 2:44 pm

Just an idea whose time may NEVER come......but using your photo shop, won't hurt a thing............I'd like to see that Yellow carried back on the bed - say from the top of the body bulge and at least the to top, if not over the top of the bed itself - all the way around. I think that that would REALLY do it!!! For me anyway - would like to see it. would tie it altogether and make it "THE BEE!"

Michael "To BEE or NOT to be!"
cyberized
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 65
Job/hobbies : Retired
Project : 1984 El Camino Conquista
Registration date : 2008-02-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by megaglow_z on July 20th 2008, 11:14 pm

HUGE set back....I decided to do the above paint scheme in red.
I sprayed the hood, came out great.
I sprayed the top of the fenders, and top......not good...
I still do not know what caused it. I did one coat, waited 5 hours,can says 4-6 hr re coat. then wet sanded and dried. when i did the next coat, it literally wrinkled up and now i can peel it of down to the primer.it even softened the black that was under it that had been on it for a month now. The second coat acted like a paint stripper. thing is, it was exactly the same mix as i used the first time.
I'm really disappointed in this and just threw a tarp over the whole mess.
Ill have to redo the whole cab, and i just don't have the heart for it right now.My daily s10 blew a head gasket and the head is warped.
Maybe after a few days i will be able to stand to look at it.And......As a result of me being pissed, i knocked a big shop light over, and have a huge dent in the top of the cab.
It was looking SOOOO good to..........
megaglow_z
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content