2000 Suzuki SV 650

View previous topic View next topic Go down

2000 Suzuki SV 650

Post by finny on February 19th 2008, 9:37 pm

Picked this bike up over the weekend and going to do a little paint work on it before the warm weather hits. Bike was originally red and p.o. painted in satin black and didn't do the best job on it. Being that I really wanted a yellow bike i'm considering giving it a few coats of rustoleum sunburst yellow. I did a roll on paint job on my 4runner last spring and know good results can be had.

My only concern is am I going to have any problems with painting the front fender and rear tail pieces as they're I believe abs plastic?

Here's what it looks like now
finny
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2008-01-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2000 Suzuki SV 650

Post by pinoyxpryde on February 20th 2008, 12:36 am

use a compatible primer on the plastic then prep that and paint over it

i love SV's Razz
pinoyxpryde
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2008-01-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by finny on February 23rd 2008, 11:51 am

Well I started painting it on Wednesday. I have 3-4 coats on and i'm going to wetsand and go for more coats. Biggest problem I seem to be having so far is it's been cold here (20s and 30s) and the paint doesn't seem to want to dry.
Tank looks to be coming out great, that was also the part I spent the most prep time on as there was a dent the po puttied up and didnt so the greatest job with. Plastics- Its too early to judge on. They were painted previously and I was being impatient so I didnt bother primering them. With the rolling the small surface area i'm not sure how well its going to come out.

Hopefully the paint will dry this weekend and i'll wetsand, recoat and maybe get some pictures up.
finny
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt on February 24th 2008, 10:08 pm

Cool project. Yea you should be able to use a "plastic prep" type primer for those pieces. No 100% positive but I believe someone on here mentioned mixing in a flex agent in with your rustoleum. I'm a sucker for sunburst yellow btw. agree

400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 563
Project : Ford Ranger Splash
Registration date : 2007-12-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by finny on February 25th 2008, 8:52 pm

Got some pictures

Tank has about 4 coats on it. It seems to be covering great, i've yet to wetsand it as its been cold and I don't feel like draing the tank and bringing it inside.

Plastics i've sanding with 400 grit and removed all the orange peel after about 3 coats. Theres 2 more coats on since i wetsanded. Some areas aren't covering that well but it only takes about 10 mins to put a coat on everything and its prob going to be about another month till I get weather warm enough to use it.

finny
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Killthewabbit on February 25th 2008, 9:09 pm

Looks pretty good!
Killthewabbit
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 21
Job/hobbies : Web programmer for a living and on the side. Too many cars, too little time and money
Project : 1992 Mazda Protege, a 1978 Chevy 2wd stepside, a 1969 Chevelle, and soon a Honda Civic coupe
Registration date : 2008-01-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by finny on March 1st 2008, 7:41 pm

Well here's the most recent picture. This is sanded with 2000, not yet buffed. I still have some orange peel. Are ppl wetsanding to complete smoothness with zero orange peel? I tried wetsanding to get rid of all of it and ended up sanding through in spots, by the time I got full coverage again sanding ended with the same results. I tried showing example in the picture but couldn't get it to show up. I don't think you'll really be able to tell until your inches away so I've kind of settled with the idea.

Also how long should I wait between last coat and buffing?

finny
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by finny on March 2nd 2008, 10:50 am

There's a pic of the front fender and windscreen installed. Still have some orange peel, and didn't buff out quite right. All I had on hand for buffing was a little orbitial polisher and that didnt quite cut it. I'm going to give the paint some more time to cure and borrow a good buffer to get the right shine out of it.

finny
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by finny on March 8th 2008, 11:23 am

Here's some new pics. Everything is sanded, buffed and polished. In the shade and up close you can see some orange peel and other imperfections that prob could be sanded out but i don't think its really worth the agrivation. In the sunlight and from a foot of more away it looks great. Overall i'm pretty happy with the results.

finny
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt on March 28th 2008, 1:30 pm

Looks great man. I like yellow bikes, well I guess I like yellow anything but i'm a little biased hey

400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 563
Project : Ford Ranger Splash
Registration date : 2007-12-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadking41a on March 28th 2008, 3:13 pm

I agree with Matt it does look great.
Roadking41a
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

Number of posts : 300
Project : undecided
Registration date : 2008-01-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by finny on March 29th 2008, 8:43 am

Thanks guys. I must agree that the sunburst yellow is a great color. Overall i'm very happy with the results. Here's a more recent picture.
finny
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top