tiny bubbles

View previous topic View next topic Go down

tiny bubbles

Post by Corpse~Kid on February 20th 2008, 1:38 pm

I keep getting alot of bubbles on the surface after i paint and dry roll. Is my mixture to thin? Has anyone had this problem? I did 4 coats on my test door with a hlf pint mixed 50:50 and didn't get any bubbles the whole time. The only thing I did diff this time is I switched to a diff foam roller maybe thats what is causing the bubbles.
Corpse~Kid
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2008-01-31

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: tiny bubbles

Post by JMJ Rick on February 20th 2008, 4:20 pm

Are the bubble popping or staying there. If rolling back over lightly doesn't pop them you can also blow lightly on them. I had a coat or two where the bubbles were worse than before. I rolled, tipped (using a roller), and blew on the paint. I never had any bubble stay in the paint, they did go away, just sometimes I helped them a bit with blowing.

Another thing, it could be the change in roller. I assume you mean you used a new roller of the same material. Also you will get more bubbles if you press on the roller while applying the paint. The newer roller will soak up the paint a little, it is natural to want to squeeze the paint onto what you are painting. Let the roller do the work with little if any pressure. Pressing down forces paint out of the pores to give a little more paint, but also creates more tinny bubbles.
JMJ Rick
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 114
Job/hobbies : Printshop owner
Project : 91 Geo Storm GSi, 93 Geo Storm, 66 Chevy pickup
Registration date : 2007-12-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Corpse~Kid on February 20th 2008, 6:05 pm

Yeah i switched to a diff foam roller and I think a combo of pushing down and the roller is doing it.
Corpse~Kid
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2008-01-31

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMJ Rick on February 21st 2008, 1:43 am

Had the same issue. Took a little "remembering" to not try and push out the paint. I about passed out blowing out the bubbles on one panel. Once I stopped rolling so hard the dizzyness went away. Smile
JMJ Rick
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 114
Job/hobbies : Printshop owner
Project : 91 Geo Storm GSi, 93 Geo Storm, 66 Chevy pickup
Registration date : 2007-12-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by pinoyxpryde on February 21st 2008, 10:12 pm

i never had any trouble with bubbles through my entire project, and i was always putting pretty decent pressure

-never shake the paint can or bubbles will be there forever
-alot of people get better results by not using oderless mineral spirits, i got low odor from lowes
-i used a pretty thick ~3:1 paint ratio, i would just pour 2:1 and added paint till i liked what i saw so i dont have anything exact
-after i paint one section, i start painting the next section and after 2-5 minutes i go back to the last section real quick and dry roll, sometimes i do this 2-3 times for the same area, it helps with runs too
pinoyxpryde
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2008-01-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Corpse~Kid on February 22nd 2008, 10:54 pm

3 parts paint?
Corpse~Kid
Rank