Rolling

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Rolling

Post by Matt on December 11th 2007, 12:37 pm

When it came time to start rolling paint on my truck I didn't have much to go by. I had plenty of information from the net but you won't develop a technique until you actually roll your first coat. I did all of my painting on my truck in a climate controlled garage at about 75 degrees. I was told that the mixture should be thinned quite a bit so I started with a 1:1 mixture which is one part paint, one part mineral spirits. I found this to be a little too thin for me but I continued to use it until that batch was gone. It was on the first and second coat so it didnt matter considering it would be sanded back down level. So starting on the third coat I went with a 2:1 coat meaning 2 parts paint one part mineral spirits and it seemed to work better for me. The technique I developed during my project was to completely saturate the roller in paint and roll the entire area until it was covered. If it was a small area like a fender or door I would only do this once. On a hood or bedside you can dip the roller twice but any more and you'll probably end up with too much paint which will cause more orange peel. You will get drips and runs while covering but don't worry it's just because the paint is so thin. Once your finished "covering" the panel, go back over it several times overlapping half of the previous roll until the drips and runs are leveled out with the rest of the paint. Your next problem will be bubbles. By this time the paint is starting to level and cure. Now you will want to go over the panel several times with the "dry roll" method. This meaning just go over the panel again without adding any more paint. Don't use any pressure here as the goal is to help the paint level better and pop the bubbles. I let the weight of the roller do the work, just holding the handle up from the panel. You won't be able to get every little bubble but that's okay considering most of them pop while the paint dries. Make sure when your doing a panel you complete that panel. Don't stop and take a break or you will have blotches and hazy spots from the fresh paint drying with the half cured paint. I used this method for each coat and it worked great. The more and more coats I put on the more smooth the finish and less orange peel. Also make sure that when you get to your last coat, make enough batch to cover the entire truck. Keep it in a container with a sealed lid so you can add more to your paint tray when needed. I suggest this because I painted my tailgate while off of the truck and forgot to hit it with the final batch of paint. Even though I mixed the ratios the same every time, the tailgate appeared to be a little lighter. Luckily I had some of the final batch left to hit the tailgate Very Happy

400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 563
Project : Ford Ranger Splash
Registration date : 2007-12-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top