Project practice hood.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Project practice hood.

Post by Killthewabbit on February 24th 2008, 10:08 pm

Hey, everybody. I introduced myself in the "New members" category earlier tonight. After that, I went out into the garage to put my first coat on my practice hood. Things went ok. The paint laid on, but I think I did it too thick. The hood was orange, and now it's almost completely black. I did manage to get most of the bubbles popped with a second dry roller, though.

Of course, I already have a question. These pics would indicate I put the paint on waaaaay too thick, wouldn't they? If so, what do I do next? Think I should continue to follow the procedure and do another coat and wet sand with 600?

Here's the pics.

before

after

Killthewabbit
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 21
Job/hobbies : Web programmer for a living and on the side. Too many cars, too little time and money
Project : 1992 Mazda Protege, a 1978 Chevy 2wd stepside, a 1969 Chevelle, and soon a Honda Civic coupe
Registration date : 2008-01-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Project practice hood.

Post by Matt on February 24th 2008, 10:19 pm

From the pictures it looks fine to me. What mixture are you using? Remember that your using black to cover dengy orange so the coverage is going to be great even with the first coat. Also remember that your first few coats will look terrible because it's thin, it runs, it has a lot of bubbles, etc... That's just the nature of the beast. After you wetsand and start adding more coats you'll see the results the way you wanted to. Keep us updated, your on the right track.

400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 563
Project : Ford Ranger Splash
Registration date : 2007-12-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Killthewabbit on February 24th 2008, 10:28 pm

Thanks for the quick response, Matt.

I used as close to 1:1 as I could get by eyeballing a mixing cup without a level surface. I ended up mixing up too much paint, but that's not really a big thing. I don't really mind the bubbles or the runs. The surface of the paint actually looked better than I expected after I ran the dry roller over the first coat. The lighting in my garage is crap, so I thought it covered more than it did. After checking out the pictures, it doesn't look quite so covered after all.

I didn't even think about the black covering the dingy orange. I was thinking it would show a lot more through, but I guess that happens more on colors like red, huh?

I'll keep on keeping on and try another coat tomorrow night or the next day.
Killthewabbit
Rank
Rank

Job/hobbies : Web programmer for a living and on the side. Too many cars, too little time and money
Project : 1992 Mazda Protege, a 1978 Chevy 2wd stepside, a 1969 Chevelle, and soon a Honda Civic coupe

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt on February 24th 2008, 10:42 pm

Yep red is a PITA to cover and to paint. A lot of people say the best consistency is about as runny as milk. Mine was just a little thicker than that. I used a 2:1 mixture but it was around 75 degrees when I painted my truck.

400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Killthewabbit on February 24th 2008, 11:04 pm

Mine was prolly about the consistency of 2% milk, ala 69chargeryeeha's original directions. Actually, I figured pretty close to 50-50 would be a good place to start.

I'm so jacked about this. I hope it looks good. Me and a friend from work are going to be our cars. We've been talking about it for months. I'm happy I finally got started on something.
Killthewabbit
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadking41a on February 24th 2008, 11:41 pm

Looks like a good start. I wish I could start mine so I will have to wait until I move.
Roadking41a
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

Number of posts : 300
Project : undecided
Registration date : 2008-01-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMJ Rick on February 24th 2008, 11:54 pm

Hey Wabbit, I typed this earlier but it got lost before I hit the send button. Sad

First coat does look a little thick. As for sanding, it depends on the texture. Being a little thick I would probably wet sand before 2nd coat, not to take off paint, but to be sure it is smooth before covering.

As for the "runny" look on the vertical parts, I had that problem on the sides of my car too, I found if I mixed a little thicker I did get better coverage, but had orange peel. If I rolled back over the vertical areas a second time with the dry roller it seemed to be better.
JMJ Rick
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 114
Job/hobbies : Printshop owner
Project : 91 Geo Storm GSi, 93 Geo Storm, 66 Chevy pickup
Registration date : 2007-12-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Killthewabbit on February 25th 2008, 12:03 am

JMJ, I see your point. It's a lot thicker than I expected, even though it's not as think as I originally thought it was. Wet sanding shouldn't hurt anything except my arms, but will most likely help the next coat look better.

Hmmm....

I guess I'll wait until next session to see how it looks before deciding to paint or wet sand. I'm not 100% positive I'm going to paint/wet sand tomorrow, but I'll take some more pics and get yall's opinion then.

Roadking, I have a problem with reading too much about stuff and not actually doing it. Maybe this is the treatment for that condition. Why do you have to wait until you move?
Killthewabbit
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadking41a on February 25th 2008, 12:06 am

We are relocating to Las Vegas. So when we rent a house there I will have a garage to work in along with buying a rust free bed for my truck.
Roadking41a
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by quasikeaggy on February 25th 2008, 11:37 am

dude, the hood looks great! keep it up!

(i'm the guy from work that killthewabbit mentioned... i need to get going on my lawnmower paint project)
quasikeaggy
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2008-02-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Killthewabbit on February 25th 2008, 11:50 am

Roadking41a wrote:We are relocating to Las Vegas. So when we rent a house there I will have a garage to work in along with buying a rust free bed for my truck.

I like it out there. Haven't been in a few years, though. You should have pretty good luck finding rust free metal out there.
Killthewabbit
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Killthewabbit on February 25th 2008, 11:58 am

quasikeaggy wrote:dude, the hood looks great! keep it up!

(i'm the guy from work that killthewabbit mentioned... i need to get going on my lawnmower paint project)

Hey, if the guy at this URL can use a computer case as proof of concept and have it turn out well enough to sell DVDs, I would think a lawnmower should be a good idea...

http://bryanswebpage.com/paint/Process/index.htm
Killthewabbit
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Killthewabbit on February 25th 2008, 9:04 pm

OK, here's pics after a day of drying. I haven't touched the hood at all since I rolled on the paint yesterday. I dunno how well it comes out in these pics, but the paint is laying down great.

On to the pics!

So what do you guys think? Should I go ahead and wetsand now, or put on another coat first? I'm going to take tonight off and do some work on a client's site, so probably nothing will get done to it until tomorrow at the earliest.

Wabbit
Killthewabbit
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadking41a on February 25th 2008, 9:21 pm

Looks good so far. The way I understand it it's 2 coats then wet sand.
Roadking41a
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by quasikeaggy on February 26th 2008, 12:39 pm

from what i've seen and read, you've got a great start. just keep putting on thin coats and wetsanding and you'll have a great looking hood.
quasikeaggy
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2008-02-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Killthewabbit on February 29th 2008, 8:44 pm

Well, I rolled on another coat last night. Here's some pics I took just now, so it's had almost a whole day of drying time.

I think I'm going to switch to a new dry roller every time. The one I wrapped up in a plastic bag after the first coat was still pretty wet and seemed like it wasn't popping as many bubbles as before.

I guess I'll be wetsanding for the first time tonight.
Killthewabbit
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Killthewabbit on February 29th 2008, 10:23 pm

Well, I'm not a big fan of wetsanding so far. I have no idea if I'm doing it right or not, and it's hard to tell because it's still wet, even after wiping it off a few times. I did go sand through the paint in a few places, but I imagine that's probably normal.

I'll take some more pics when it dries off.
Killthewabbit
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Killthewabbit on February 29th 2008, 11:25 pm

OK, the water's dry. Here's the wetsand pics...

I'm heading out now to do another coat.
Killthewabbit
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 68stang on March 9th 2008, 4:04 pm

hey, I think this is a really good idea to get a good look at your results before you dive into a project. In fact I'm planning to do it before I try anything on my 68 mustang, but I have a few questions. Where'd you find a hood to test it out on and how much did it cost you? I'm guessing a junkyard or something would be best because I want a sheet metal part that'll be comparable to my car, plus I dont have a lot of money to fool around with considering I just turned 16 a month ago. Also, does anybody know how to go about mixing rustoleum for custom colors? Because I want to try for a color very similar to the "Brittany Blue" that it originally was, but I'm not sure if you can bring in a swatch and get it mixed at home depot, or if its gonna be a trial and error type deal. please help...
68stang
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2008-03-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Killthewabbit on March 13th 2008, 11:27 pm

I got this hood by checking out ebay and looking for a hood to fit my truck. The auction ended and I emailed the seller to tell him to contact me if he ended up with the hood, since he was local. A couple weeks later, the winner of the auction never paid him, so I picked up the hood for $35. That being said, you can easily go to almost any junkyard and pick up a body panel like this for that cheap or cheaper.

From what I've read, mixing is going to be a trial and error thing.
Killthewabbit
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMJ Rick on March 14th 2008, 5:11 am

Hey 68stang, I had a 67 when I turned 16. 30 years later I still miss it. Smile

Go to a wrecking yard and ask them for a test panel. It doesn't need to be something in perfect shape, maybe a rusted fender and you can practice on the unrusted part. Can't hurt to ask since the part is worth anything. You could even promise to bring it back when you are done if they want it back for the recyling. Another option is to practice on something else, a lawn mower, fridge, old stove, etc. Just don't practice on the parents car, although siblings cars could be possible depending on how nice they have been.

Not sure you can get anybody to mix rusto for you, I've heard mixed comments from others who tried. Some say it can be done but I haven't seen any results from store mixed rusto. Others say nobody will custom mix rusto. Your best bet would probably be to visit a local paint store and ask lots of questions. Such as what colors to mix to achive the shade you are looking for. Pick up the rusto colors and mix your own. Once you get the formula down for the shade you want mix up a batch to last for the whole project. I'd estimate a 1/2 gallon to 3/4 gallon would be plenty.
JMJ Rick
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 114
Job/hobbies : Printshop owner
Project : 91 Geo Storm GSi, 93 Geo Storm, 66 Chevy pickup
Registration date : 2007-12-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt on March 28th 2008, 1:52 pm

Looks like your on the right track. The crosshatch wetsanding is a good technique because your sure to knock down the entire area. It's looking great so far.

400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top