Orange peel

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Orange peel

Post by holly on March 2nd 2008, 9:41 am

On the 5th coat of my test panel and I'm still getting orange peel. Should I continue... 2 coats and sand or am I doing something wrong? Will I have orange peel till the last coat? Is my goal to cover and buff the orange peel out in the end?
holly
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2008-02-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Orange peel

Post by JMJ Rick on March 2nd 2008, 9:34 pm

Hi Holly,
From what others have experienced you may see a little orange peel in each coat. The purpose of sanding between every 2nd coat is to remove the bumps so the next coat has a smooth surface. If you keep painting over orange peel it will only get worse. I guess I was lucky or just didn't consider the very mild unevenness to be an issue as it sanded out just fine between coats. I only had one coat I considered to have an orange peel problem and I sanded it back smooth before the next coat.

If you are sanding between every 2 coats, are you getting rid of the orange peel completely before moving on to the next coat? If not, you need to bring it smooth before the next coat. If you wait till the end buffing alone won't remove it and you will have hours of wet sanding before you get it smooth again and higher possibility of burning through the paint trying to remove the orange peel.

If you are getting it smooth between coats but still having a orange peel problem with the paint you can try adding a little more mineral spirits to the mix to thin out the paint a bit. The only coat I had problems with was when I went a little thicker with the paint mixture. Back to the 50/50 mix for the rest of the coats with no problem.

Hope this helps a little. Good luck and let us know how it is going.
JMJ Rick
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 114
Job/hobbies : Printshop owner
Project : 91 Geo Storm GSi, 93 Geo Storm, 66 Chevy pickup
Registration date : 2007-12-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top