Adding Stripes

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Adding Stripes

Post by Travellerjones on March 9th 2008, 11:25 am

When I paint my MG, I was thinking about adding some stripes on the hood or side. Not sure if I will do it yet, but I am wondering if there is a technique so as not to get ridge lines between the colors. Also do I paint the whole car first then add the stripes or tape off the area to stop build up?

Any thoughts or comments would help. Suspect

Andy
Travellerjones
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 29
Job/hobbies : Aero Engineer
Project : 73 MGb Roadster
Registration date : 2007-12-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Adding Stripes

Post by Coconut Eater on March 10th 2008, 7:07 am

I've tried stripes with disastrous results. I tried to add the stripes after I painted the body, and the tape peeled the stripe off in areas. Plus, it ran all over the place. I am considering next time to paint the yellow stripe areas, then tape that off and paint the body red. I think either that or use spray paint to paint the stripe like Hot Rod magazine did.

Coconut Eater
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 47
Job/hobbies : cars, trucks, planes, and guns
Project : 1992 Nissan Sentra SE, and 1984 Dodge D100
Registration date : 2007-12-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by coreyd on March 10th 2008, 5:57 pm

It depends on if your talking about racing stripes( one or more really wide ones on hood) or doing a pin stipe to devide colors. If your doing the racing stripes i would recomend laying the color of the stripe first. Put a good number of coats to ensure that you get good coverage and also to make sure you have plenty of material to sand on. After the stripe color is down use tape or pinsripeing to tape off the outline of your sripe,(make sure you let the paint dry completly or the paint will peel up with the tape when your done) then some type of paper to cover up the middles, make sure its all good and sealed. Next start laying the other color on the rest of the hood. After your hood is totally covered with the other color and it is good and dry remove the all tape and paper, you should have your sripes. Now for the tricky part. To get rid of any rises or ridges, you wetsand the entire hood(both colors) just like any other hood. When you get the desired texture you can buff it and shouldnt have any visible lines or ridges. But you need to make sure you have PLENTY OF PAINT DOWN!!!!!!!!!!!! Otherwise you will sand through the color and will have to start all over. Hope this very lenghty reply helps. This is how i have always done it.
coreyd
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 71
Registration date : 2007-12-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Travellerjones on March 11th 2008, 7:14 am

Coreyd

Thanks for the"lengthy" reply. It helps a lot. Must admit after you explained, it doesnt seem half as bad as I thought it would be, so am more inclined to give it a go.

Thanks again

Andy Very Happy
Travellerjones
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 29
Job/hobbies : Aero Engineer
Project : 73 MGb Roadster
Registration date : 2007-12-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMJ Rick on March 11th 2008, 11:44 pm

One thing to consider, you will want to have the edge as straight as possible on your first color. Spend extra time making it perfect and the edge sealed tight to the body as this will also serve as your finished line when sanding the two colors off. Lay the first color like coreyd mentioned, you want extra thickness for future sanding. When taping the second color tape as close to the first color as possible giving a little to the second color going onto the first color vs. leaving any blank space between colors. As you sand the two colors where they overlap you will remove any overlap as you come down to the original perfect straight edge you created in the first step. Just becareful to sand down only far enough to achive that edge and not sand through either color.
JMJ Rick
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 114
Job/hobbies : Printshop owner
Project : 91 Geo Storm GSi, 93 Geo Storm, 66 Chevy pickup
Registration date : 2007-12-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Adding stripes

Post by boris_thespider on April 5th 2011, 10:52 pm

JMJ Rick wrote:One thing to consider, you will want to have the edge as straight as possible on your first color. Spend extra time making it perfect and the edge sealed tight to the body as this will also serve as your finished line when sanding the two colors off. Lay the first color like coreyd mentioned, you want extra thickness for future sanding. When taping the second color tape as close to the first color as possible giving a little to the second color going onto the first color vs. leaving any blank space between colors. As you sand the two colors where they overlap you will remove any overlap as you come down to the original perfect straight edge you created in the first step. Just becareful to sand down only far enough to achive that edge and not sand through either color.

JMJ Rick,
The advice you gave about sanding the edges of the stripes sounded very good. Have you actually done this and did it turn out as well as expected? How soon after applying the 2nd color do you pull the tape before sanding? I was going to spray single-stage urethane for the base color and the stripes. But, I didn't want to have to spray clear over top to get rid of the ridges.
boris_thespider
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2010-10-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top