Howdy - How much paint?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Howdy - How much paint?

Post by Quixxer on April 26th 2008, 10:07 pm

I was pointed in this direction from www.ford-trucks.com/forums as I am looking to paint the box on my F150. But from what I am seeing on here, I just might have to paint the whole truck...

How much paint am I looking at for a full size Ford F150?
Quixxer
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2008-04-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Howdy - How much paint?

Post by megaglow_z on April 27th 2008, 12:06 am

from what i have seen.2 of the quart size cans will paint a car with a little left over.
If you spray,its a 3 to 1 mix, paint to thinner.
I'm going to buy 3, pour them all in a 5 gallon bucket, mix them together, then put them back into there cans to assure there all the same color.
Cause sometimes, there are differences in batches, and you cant ever be sure all the cans you get are from the same batch
megaglow_z
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

Number of posts : 261
Job/hobbies : Autoglass tech
Project : 81 Yota
Registration date : 2007-12-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt on August 28th 2008, 12:10 am

I used right around 2 quarts of paint for my whole truck. I can't really say how much would be needed for a fullsize. The good thing is, you know where to get it if you don't buy enough to begin with. Just make sure you plan ahead and don't get stuck with half of the truck done and run out of paint. I like to mix my last few coats all with the same batch. That way you know it's all the same color.

400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 563
Project : Ford Ranger Splash
Registration date : 2007-12-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by retired plumber on August 28th 2008, 10:05 pm

What Matt said. You do NOT want to run out before you get done. They mix up several thousand gallons at a time and all tho the mix is the same for the next batch that dosen't mean they are identical and the store may have some from two different batches. If you open the cans and look at each they will look the same but when put on the car you can tell the difference. This is not to say this will happen to you or anybody else but it has happened before and will happen again. Its cheap insurance. I would get three. Especially if you deside to do the whole truck and include the door jambs, under hood ,etc.
One more thing. If the whole truck is one color or close, you will use less paint.
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1004
Job/hobbies : retired honey does and the occasional custom car (old school)
Project : figuring out how to do metalflake
Registration date : 2008-04-27

View user profile http://glasaholic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top