Going to Paint Soon Gathering supplies

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Going to Paint Soon Gathering supplies

Post by Danno on April 28th 2008, 2:26 pm

I'm new here, kinda, I've got minimal body work to complete on my 1980 Fiat Spider Convertible, then I'll be painting. I've read everything there is to read everywhere, and just ran across a new (to me) product that I thought I'd run by y'all.

I had resolved to buy my paint from Ace Hardware and have it mixed to a color that I've picked out. THEN OVER THE WEEKEND i happened by the paint aisle in my local wal-mart and now see that they have their house brand (ColorPlace) in an enamel paint that can be tinted. It does not say "stops rust" or "over rust" etc etc, but does indicate its for wood, metal, etc etc. just like most other enamel paints.

Help me out here, has anyone thought of using this, anyone know more? I can't find a website for colorplace, to check out their documentation on the product. I would just go to Ace and be done with it, but the Ace trip will have to be planned and can't be a quick trip to the store, because I don't live near one!

Thanks all!!!!!
Danno
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2008-02-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Going to Paint Soon Gathering supplies

Post by Danno on May 2nd 2008, 9:03 am

really? nobody knows? Darnit. I checked out the can a little more and almost bought one so that I could document the writing on the back.

It does say something about being Latex Enamel, but doesn't say anything about how to thin it, which the rustoleum brand, for instance, does. It also says in the directions to prime bare metal with a rust inhibiting primer. I'm leaning towards -NOT THE SAME. Anyone else have an opinion, or know about this?

I've also read (unreliable internet sources) that Sherwin Williams makes the ColorPlace paints for Wal-Mart, so I guess I'll check out their products to see if they offer a similar thing and I can get better documentation on it!
Danno
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by retired plumber on May 2nd 2008, 1:15 pm

This is just a comment but latex means water base. If it says thin with water I would stay away but if mineral spirits then it should be ok.

My opinion only. If there is the slightest bit of doubt don't use it because there is a lot of work involved in the painting of a car the first itme so you can double that for the second time plus the removal of the first job if the paint is wrong.
All the big paint companies make all kinds of paint and it is sold under
many different names.
MIke
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1004
Job/hobbies : retired honey does and the occasional custom car (old school)
Project : figuring out how to do metalflake
Registration date : 2008-04-27

View user profile http://glasaholic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Danno on May 2nd 2008, 1:23 pm

retired plumber wrote:This is just a comment but latex means water base. If it says thin with water I would stay away but if mineral spirits then it should be ok.
OK, that's what I thought, but couldn't remember. Its a no-go then, because it's been said over and over that oil-based is the thing to use (on the original roller-paint threads at mopar).

Guess it will still be Ace paint, then. Thanks!!!
Danno
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt on August 28th 2008, 12:15 am

Yeah I wouldn't mess with a waterbased coating for a car. It was my understanding that "enamels" were oil based. huh I guess not.

400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 563
Project : Ford Ranger Splash
Registration date : 2007-12-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by retired plumber on August 28th 2008, 9:52 pm

Latex enamel will say to clean up with soap and water. We dont want that. Regular enamel is oil based. You were right Matt. They are two different kinds of paint. Why they put enamel after the latex I don't know but it can sure screw things up if you don't read the label. Can you say mad3 .
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1004
Job/hobbies : retired honey does and the occasional custom car (old school)
Project : figuring out how to do metalflake
Registration date : 2008-04-27

View user profile http://glasaholic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top