1994 Grand Am

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: 1994 Grand Am

Post by DroppedGrandAm on October 7th 2008, 11:04 pm

Also i forgot to ask about how long should i wait after i paint the car to sand and buff it. I was thinking like a week to be safe and to allow it to cure so it becomes nice and solid. I really cant wait myself i just want to see the car in one color rather than five. What type of gloss will i have when the gloss black rusto completely drys. Also how long did you guys wait to final sand and buff?
DroppedGrandAm
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 73
Job/hobbies : Working on my car
Project : 1981 Monte Carlo
Registration date : 2008-05-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by retired plumber on October 8th 2008, 1:48 am

You can cut and buff auto paint after 2 days so I don't think this would be any different but a week would definately work. It should say on the can tho. I don't know what kind of gloss rusto has so no comment on that. Who knows, you might get "lucky" and not have to sand and buff. then you can do the happy dance hit it hit it hit it
I know what you are going through with the waiting. When I unmask a car, its just like opening a christmas present for me, especially it there is fancy stuff involved. Best of luck to you.
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1004
Job/hobbies : retired honey does and the occasional custom car (old school)
Project : figuring out how to do metalflake
Registration date : 2008-04-27

View user profile http://glasaholic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DroppedGrandAm on October 8th 2008, 3:54 pm

Today i was waiting all day to get home and i finally did then it started raining. Which completely ruined my chances of painting today. Everything is ready for paint just need a nice day. Tomorrow looks really good it is suppose to be nice out and there is a 10% chance of rain. So looks like it will be tomorrow. Man i hate delays and waiting.
DroppedGrandAm
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DroppedGrandAm on October 10th 2008, 6:21 pm

Well i am happy to say that today i painted my car. Imo it looks ok i did have a few problems along the way which i need some advice on. Heres the pics:

About 2 hours ago before paint:

This is after paint:

And this is what i need some advice on. For some reason i got a bunch of fish eyes all over the hood and i have no idea why. There just on the hood. In a few days probably Sunday i plan on wet sanding the hood down and re spraying it. Is that the right idea or no. What grit paper should i use thanks guys.

DroppedGrandAm
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by retired plumber on October 11th 2008, 12:02 am

Bummer. I hate that when it happens. Probably from silicone wax somebody put on or spraying WD40 on something and overspray got on it. Strange it was just on the hood. Thats why i am thinking wax. I have had luck SOMETIMES with letting it dry and misting another coat over it but usually it has to be sanded off, clear down to the origional primer. Or at least into the origional paint and then cleaned with a silicone cleaner or wax stripper.
I would hit it with 220 grit for the first sanding and then go over it again with 360 or 400 and wipe clean and make sure it is dry before repainting. Use a power sander if you have one.
I wiped a car down with lacquer thinner one time and thought it was dry. I had a million fish eyes and you could see each swipe I made with the cloth. I was able to fog two coats over it tho and it came out ok but I was lucky I think.
The rest of it is looking pretty good tho. How much orange peel are you getting? The last couple I painted were outside in the driveway also and I did get a bit of orange peel when the wind hit and made the paint skin over before it had a chance to flow out. Hope this helps.
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by retired plumber on October 11th 2008, 12:20 am

I just went back and was enjoying how far this car has come and the thought struck me. Did you use a air sander on your hood? The reason I ask is because they will spit oil out of the discharge hole sometimes (mine does, especially after I just oiled it) and they would have landed on the hood and that will for sure cause fisheyes. Anyway, just a thought.
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by DroppedGrandAm on October 11th 2008, 2:03 am

Ok well ill go and get a power sander so i can get it down faster. I know exactly what you mean with the air sanders iv had that happen before. The weird thing is i had the whole hood covered in new primer there should have been nothing on it. So what you were saying is you misted paint over the are with fish eye. How did you do it from like a few feet away. I might give that a try before i do the sanding. Ahh yea i also forgot to answer your question on orange peel i have been waiting for a good calm day to paint and i finally got one so i painted luckily there isn't too much orange peel at all but i am deff guna need to wet sand because there is a few bugs and dirt specs in the paint in some spots.
DroppedGrandAm
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by retired plumber on October 11th 2008, 12:50 pm

Primer dosen't seem to be bothered too much by oil and wax for some reason unless its a whole bunch. The thing with primer is the thinner in the paint you put over it will soften (sometimes) the primer and leach through it. If this happens it would hit stuff (in your case the oil spots) under it.
When I mist I hold the gun two feet or so away and move it around rather fast in a random pattern. Do this a couple of timed and let it get tacky between coats to see what happens. I have also taken a very fine brush and put a drop of paint in each hole also but if there are a bunch, sanding is faster. I know all about the bugs, etc. Too bad you can't make some kind of viscreen shed as protection.
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by DroppedGrandAm on October 12th 2008, 12:54 am

Well on Sunday im guna sand the hood down to the factory primer and respray it and the rest of the car. For some reason the dew messed up the gloss on the roof and trunk. I think what happened is the dew was settling on the tacky paint on the roof and screwing up the way it was drying. So tomorrow i will respray the whole car to give it a nice final coat and a good gloss. If i do it at around 11 in the morning do you think it will be dry by the time the dew gets on my car, It seems the dew starts to settle at around 6:30- 7:00. If it gets messed up again t i don't know what im guna do. Maybe set a tent up with a heater in it idk lol. The spots that got messed up looked like flat black and i don't think i would be able to buff it out after sanding what do you think.
DroppedGrandAm
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by retired plumber on October 12th 2008, 2:13 pm

That should work. I would think the paint would dry in 6 hours. Depends on the temperature a lot tho. Do you have a buddy that has a garage you could stick it in overnight just for the safety factor. You can drive it after it is dry to the touch.
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by DroppedGrandAm on October 12th 2008, 3:55 pm

I was wondering if that dull problem happens again do you think it could be fixed after i wetsand with like 1500 and 2000 then buff. Do you think it would be even and all glossy after buffing.
DroppedGrandAm
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DroppedGrandAm on October 12th 2008, 5:58 pm

Well im done and i wana post some pics. Take a look and everyone tell me what you think. Seems i lost some of my fans lol

Those blotches and circles you see on some of the pics are from the camera. Lens must have been dirty.
DroppedGrandAm
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Fastmover on October 12th 2008, 8:48 pm

Your paint job on your car is inspiring me. I really like how even it looks. I will go back and read what type of spray gun you used. I will be happy if my truck comes out 75% as good. That black paint is sharp.

Did you get much orange peel?

Thanks,
Karl
Fastmover
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 33
Job/hobbies : Training Manager at a Biotech/Photography and restoring my truck.
Project : 1970 Ford F250 4X4 (Highboy)
Registration date : 2008-09-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by retired plumber on October 12th 2008, 11:41 pm

That came out pretty good. Better than some of mine I painted outside. I can tell from the shine there is a bit of orange peel but not much. A light sanding with 2000 and a quick buff and it should look like new. I give you 2 thumbs up thumbs up .
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by DroppedGrandAm on October 13th 2008, 4:00 pm

Ok well there are a few spots on the car that dulled out and there is other patches that are dull. What do you recommend i do next week should i sand the hell out of the whole car with 1500 until everything is smooth and looks the same shade of dullness then step up to 2000 and buff. What do you think happens to the paint when dew gets on it does it just loose its gloss can i bring it back.
DroppedGrandAm
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by retired plumber on October 13th 2008, 11:55 pm

Sand and buff. I would sand one day and buff the next. I know with regular auto paint it still gives off gasses for a couple of days and some times if the paint skims over too fast the gasses will get trapped. When that happens you usually get minute bubbles you can see. I have never sprayed rusto so I won't comment on that but maybe that is what happened here. If you sand it, you open the top surface back up and maybe let the gasses out. I don't really know but I would say again, sand and buff and see how it comes out.
I usually only go to 1500 grit and then buff. If that dosen't do it then go finer on the grit. All you have to buff is a small area to tell if the 1500 is enough.
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Techmaven on October 14th 2008, 4:20 am

I'd let the paint cure for a while (with oil based enamel, the longer, the better) before sanding and polishing. Any spots that have lost some gloss WILL shine up upon polishing. I hope to be starting a new Rustoleum paint project again soon.

Techmaven
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 60
Job/hobbies : Facilities for a large company
Project : 93 Mercury Tracer 4 door.
Registration date : 2008-09-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DroppedGrandAm on October 14th 2008, 1:08 pm

Techmaven wrote:I'd let the paint cure for a while (with oil based enamel, the longer, the better) before sanding and polishing. Any spots that have lost some gloss WILL shine up upon polishing. I hope to be starting a new Rustoleum paint project again soon.
Man i hope your right about the dull spots. Also i am going to wait a full week im guna do the sand and buff this weekend. Ill test the 1500 and buff on the hood. Also can you guys tell me what i should use in the right order. Should i put compound on then some glaze.
DroppedGrandAm
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by retired plumber on October 14th 2008, 4:11 pm

Compound first and then glaze. Compound comes in three (I think) grades. I would start with the middle one first and if that dosen't quite do it , go back to #1. Glaze has almost no grit and is to take out the smallest sanding and swirl marks. Most people call that good and then wax. DON'T use silicone wax because if you ever have to touch it up you will have a heck of a time getting it off. Silicone is one of the prime causes of fisheye. I would sand now and then let it set untill this weekend so the thinner gasses will evaporate out. The undroken surface will keep them trapped.
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by megaglow_z on October 14th 2008, 7:25 pm

looks really good man!!I wish i could get a gloss to look like that on my truck.
If i redo mine, im building a plastic room to shoot it in...bugs and dust SUCK!
megaglow_z
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

Number of posts : 261
Job/hobbies : Autoglass tech
Project : 81 Yota
Registration date : 2007-12-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadking41a on October 15th 2008, 2:43 pm

Wow Great Job.
Roadking41a
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

Number of posts : 300
Project : undecided
Registration date : 2008-01-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Techmaven on October 30th 2008, 3:20 pm

So, this is Rustoleum sparayed from a gun? What did you thin it with? What type of gun setup do you have? I'm weighing my options with the Corvair. Very Happy

Techmaven
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 60
Job/hobbies : Facilities for a large company
Project : 93 Mercury Tracer 4 door.
Registration date : 2008-09-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Slick on December 22nd 2008, 5:46 pm

I was outside looking at my project car today, and thinking about how there's a couple of rusty spots where paint is missing, feeling like I couldn't fix it. I get discouraged easily, but after seeing this I feel like I can do anything haha. Very inspiring, great body work and nice color choice! (I too am going to be going with the gloss black, nice to see how its turning out.)

- Brett
Slick
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 6
Job/hobbies : Automobiles, & Photography
Project : 1986 Camaro
Registration date : 2008-12-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Stearnos14a on April 12th 2009, 7:21 pm

gr8 work i'm looking forward to seeing the car completley finished now. Will be starting my rusto/ brightside paint job very shortly.
Stearnos14a
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2009-04-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DroppedGrandAm on May 18th 2009, 10:18 pm

Well just to let you guys know iv got a new project i will be posting in the next few days. Its a 1981 Monte Carlo. It will be a pretty big project and i will take pictures of every step. Ill make a new topic in a few days and i look forward to talking to you guys again.
DroppedGrandAm
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content