Prepping

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Prepping

Post by Rolie on May 19th 2008, 8:40 pm

Hello Rolie here,

I have read several websites regarding rolling on paint. I have decide to roll a Camaro Z28 black to black, since I have been quoted $4,000-5,000 for a repaint ( sprayed professionally ). This is too much for the value of the car but mainly for my wallet.
The paint has started to blister and crack. I have taken dents out, used Bondo, sanded rust to bear metal and primed them with duplicolor self etching primer and roughed the surface up with a power detailing sander with 120 grit. Now I still have small 1/2 inch crackline in the hood and spiderweb cracks in he plastic bumpers. My question is do I have to sand more so that the crack lines are no longer visible ( they seem to be small hairline cracks in the clearcoat. ) to the basecoat. Also do I need to add a flexible additive for the soft plastic bunper ( if yes, where can I get it ). My plan is to use 2 coats of Interlux Pre-Kote primer with several layers of Brightside paint thinned with Penetrol and 333 Interlux thinner.

Thanks for woever can help me.
Rolie
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2008-05-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Prepping

Post by retired plumber on May 19th 2008, 9:52 pm

Hi Rolie, welcome. Sounds like a neat project. To answer your question about your cracks. Yes, you will have to sand them out or they will come back to haunt you later. If they are just in the clear coat it should be real easy to sand them out. However, even if they are down to metal they have to come out. Not a big deal really and just make sure you feather the edges good. My auto paint store told me not to worry about flex stuff for the bumpers, especially if you are not removing them. As I understand it , the flex stuff evaporates in 6 months anyway.I have painted 2 plastic bumper covers (one on and one off) and had no problems with them, but it's up to you. I don't even know if the flex stuff would even mix in Brightside but you can get it where they sell auto paint and they can tell you if they mix. Good luck
MIke
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1004
Job/hobbies : retired honey does and the occasional custom car (old school)
Project : figuring out how to do metalflake
Registration date : 2008-04-27

View user profile http://glasaholic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rolie on May 20th 2008, 7:56 am

Thanks Mike,

That's what I just want to avoid, nightmares after a couple of months.
I will start sanding.
Rolie
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2008-05-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cyberized on May 20th 2008, 1:31 pm

That's the RIGHT idea, for sure, must prepare that painting surface as BEST as possible - "what you SEE is what YOU get!". Don't know if you bought the 333 yet - if not, you could save some money there and buy a gallon of Mineral Spirits [100% or Odorless] either will do the SAMe as 333 but are quite abit cheaper. The Odorless - which I used at the last of my Brightside project - and wish I'd used it thru ALL of the coats - takes a little longer to evaporate out - thus gives you a little longer to make corrections if necessary [I needed that]. Also - I don't know about the Penetrol, I had read GOOD stuff on the Mopar thread about adding it, but I saved the money and did not until about my 2nd to last coat - and I don't know if it was the penetrol, the day, or ME - that session came out the worst of all - lots more Orange Peel than ever. Up to you - but I think I'd just stick to the Brightside and MS..........get the right proportions and it will flow and level out and shine like "H" for you.

GOOD luck and let us see some Photos - shoule come out NICE!

Michael
cyberized
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 65
Job/hobbies : Retired
Project : 1984 El Camino Conquista
Registration date : 2008-02-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content