1987 Mustang GT T-top

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

1987 Mustang GT T-top

Post by wct203814 on May 21st 2008, 9:32 pm

Hey everyone, im new to the site just thought id post up my project car!! its a 1987 mustang gt Ttop i bought around 2 years ago. I got it when it was in really rough shape needed a rebuild and repaint! so far i rebuilt the engine its now a 306 w/ a t-5 5spd swaped from the stock automatic! it has a little dings and dents here and there and a nasty pealing clear coat!! so ill be doing a total repaint of the car! I found out about the rustoleum or tremclad paint job around 1 1/2 years ago also on that long mopar thread! i was looking for a cheap way to repaint my mustang when came time to do so! now i found this great little site full of diy's great to be part of this fourm hope to keep you posted on progress! so far its been tore apart and taped off and today i started sanding some of it down!. ill post progress pics daily or bidaily depends how work,g/f,baby and car time works together:D oh yeah its being painted rustoleum sunrburst red ? and also i did a test panel in black to see how easy it was to work with!!! looks great that was just 3 coats unsanded not really any peal also what is the ratio i should mix my red ? and what temp should it be in my garage ? and should i get a rattle can of the same paint for tuch up spots?

Thanks-
Shannon

wct203814
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 42
Job/hobbies : Auto Tech
Project : 1987 Mustang GT T-top
Registration date : 2008-05-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 1987 Mustang GT T-top

Post by megaglow_z on May 21st 2008, 9:54 pm

Looks like a GREAT project!
Keep us posted man, and we will help as much as we can!
The ratio mix is the same no matter what color you use, so what ever you did to get that result should be fine.
And as far as touch ups, you would be better of just using a small brush and wet sanding to smooth, rather then trying to blend the whole panel.
Of course, that's the cool part of this, it is fairly easy to repaint a whole panel yourself Smile
AS far as temps. 75-80 seems to be the preferred. but you do have to account for humidity and adjust the mix accordingly.

And i suggest mixing all your paint into one batch and then splitting it up. that will assure no color variations in the cans.
megaglow_z
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

Number of posts : 261
Job/hobbies : Autoglass tech
Project : 81 Yota
Registration date : 2007-12-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by wct203814 on May 21st 2008, 11:48 pm

update: day 1

thanks for the fast post yeah i think its a great candidate for the job:D do you think i will have enough paint with just the one can? or will i have to go out and buy one more ? i have the quart of it? im thinking ill be doing around 10 coats-5 days mabey more just so i dont have to worry about burning through latter on! heres the update pictures with some of my supplys i bought from wallmart,fleet farm and advance auto parts lol around 50 bux so far. and i also started doing a little work on the fender im going to start there and work my way around the car. and the little x's in the picture are a idea of matts im useing i figure each one is around half and hour added to prep time.. whats a good way to repair my cracked front bumper? and if u look at the pictures do you think my hatch will be fixable or should i go find a new one ? also on the hood i think im going to give up its really dented up everywhere and i can get a clean smooth one for around 100bux. enough with my ramble heres some pics

-Thanks
Shannon
P.s. ignore the mess lmao i dont have much time to clean my little garage!

wct203814
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by megaglow_z on May 22nd 2008, 1:36 am

ya, your going to need at least 2 quarts.
I know most on here with 8 coats used almost all of 2 and sometimes a little more.
Better to have more that's all the same color then a mismatch.
That way i you mess up a little, you have some extra.

I have an 81 toyota p/u and I'm buying 3 quarts.

As far as the body work, there are a couple guys on here that are very knowledgeable in that....give them a day or 2 to find this and post.
They will know what to do Wink
megaglow_z
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by retired plumber on May 22nd 2008, 12:34 pm

Welcome to the forum and that is a nice looking car. As for your body work questions, if you have a pull your own type wrecking yard close by that would be your best bet. Where I live we have 2 and bumpers are $25, hoods are around $35 and the back hatch would be $25 +/-. Some of them even have sale days (all you can carry for $50). if you want to learn body work that is fine but if speed is important than replacement is best.
Your hatch should be replaced unless you can weld or glue (auto body 2 part glue) in a patch piece. All the rust MUST go. I have never tried to fix a torn bumper as I always replaced them but I suppose you could sand down the back side and put some fiberglass there for support and then put filler on the front but that is a lot of work and since I have never done that I'm not sure that would work.
Again, all your problem areas are fixable but will take time and without body work experience I would really suggest a pull your own wrecking yard. You were thinking about a $100 hood anyway and I am sure you could probably come close to that for all your needs at a pull your own. Also, you can find parts with with less damage (that you could fix) real cheap. I know I have so look around. I hope this helps or gives you more ideas. I have been playing with cars for over 40 years and I know this works for me. Good luck and keep posting pictures and asking questions.
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1004
Job/hobbies : retired honey does and the occasional custom car (old school)
Project : figuring out how to do metalflake
Registration date : 2008-04-27

View user profile http://glasaholic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by wct203814 on May 22nd 2008, 1:38 pm

ok ill go out and get 2 more quarts and mix them together! lol also thanks for the posts. im not completely new to body work i have done some in the past mostly prep work i guess. ill more than likely find a new hatch that one i have is really rough shape. as for the bumpers im thinkin of going out and buying new! i really like the look of the 93 cobra front and rear that way i can run exhuast out the back like the cobra Rs did also thats the look im shooting for 93 cobra r was one of my fav fox stangs! and for the hood i think im going to try working with it how it is plus im puting on a 82 gt hood scoop (boss 429 style) shud look sharp i when its done be a real one of a kind mix up of the best looks of the fox stangs Smile
Thanks
-Shannon

wct203814
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by wct203814 on May 22nd 2008, 10:59 pm

Day 2:

Today i only worked on the car for a cupple hours did finish the pass fender work and started on the hood.. and mounted the hood scoop. i sanded all the little dings to the metal and pounded out what i could( dont have a dolly) but it will look good once i sand the first light layer of filler and get to the skim coat tomaro.. hopefully i can finish up the hood and start on the drivers fender tomaro!

-Shannon

wct203814
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by wct203814 on May 22nd 2008, 11:02 pm

oh yeah heres a quick question for anyone.. whats your thoughts on using a rattle can filler primer over the filler to act as some what of a glazing putty or w/e just to fill the minor imperfections?

Thanks
-Shannon
wct203814
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by coreyd on May 25th 2008, 1:04 pm

Hey thanks for the post on my car. Do you need any parts? Not sure were you live, but i have a couple of stock hoods, a rust free hatch, a decent pass door and a decent rear bumper.
coreyd
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 71
Registration date : 2007-12-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by wct203814 on May 25th 2008, 1:30 pm

IN FACT DO I EVER!!!!!!!!!!!! im actualy in search of a hatch and rear bumper as we speek!!!!!! the hood would have been great but... i spent quite some time patching up what i could! what would a felow roll painting stanger have to give for such a bounty?Very Happy

Thanks
-Shannon
wct203814
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by coreyd on May 25th 2008, 3:41 pm

Were do you live? If you can pick these pieces up I will make you a hell of a deal. 50 takes the hatch, the bumper has a spot from where the car was rear ended, but it is fixable. So if you get the hatch you can have the bumper if you remove it. But it depends on where you are located. Wouldnt make much sense to drive all the way across the country to save a couple bucks.
coreyd
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by wct203814 on May 25th 2008, 3:58 pm

i live in Minnesota , Fergus Falls 56537~! I hope you live close!Very Happy it would be great to see how that paint job looks in person! if its at all possible to do you think we could ship the bumper? or the hatch? im shure it would be alot tho.. i duno
Thanks
=-Shannon
wct203814
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by coreyd on May 25th 2008, 5:36 pm

I live in northern Kentucky. Shipping would be over 100 for the hatch.
coreyd
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by coreyd on May 25th 2008, 5:37 pm

What all done to your car? Is it a stick or auto?
coreyd
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by wct203814 on May 25th 2008, 8:53 pm

well its a mildly built 306 explorer gt-40 intake, a9l mass air computer, ford racing F303 cam, 69 windsor heads,70mm cobra mass air and 70mm pro t/b, 24pd cobra injs... some other stuff i cant all rember it has long tubes with purple hornies. sounds mean heres a link to a video of it running!! sounds pretty good i think. i swaped in a t-5 out of a 90's 5.0 from the stock auto. after painting it im going out to get a set of 17x9 cobra r replica wheels.
link to video:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Ielvo5sOnTU

Update:
Day 4
Today i finished the hood and got most of the way done with the drivers side! i took the side skirts off so i can paint them off the car so that they look better. im going to start wet sanding the pass side tomaro and hopefully finish up by wed then ill be waiting till i can get my front and rear bumpers! witch will be some time next week cause i dont get payed till friday! lol but it will give me time to finish needed repairs on my cowl and seal up some other odds and ends. enough with the ramble heres the pics!

wct203814
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by wct203814 on May 25th 2008, 9:51 pm

heres a few pics of how bad my hatch actualy is i think i could take the time and fix it but it will just get worse latter! tell me what yah think!

wct203814
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by coreyd on May 25th 2008, 10:11 pm

sounds like the bugs need to be worked out in the vid. But looks good. The cam will hit a lot harder when the timing and everything is set, a friend of mine has that cam in his 94 and it hits a mean lick.
coreyd
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by wct203814 on May 25th 2008, 11:10 pm

yeah it was runing slightly rich ... worked all that out now it was little things here and there that was its first run actualy lol the engine only has mabey 10 miles on it so far haha..
wct203814
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by wct203814 on May 26th 2008, 5:52 pm

well i got somewhat antzy too see how the paint would look so i layed 2 coats on my side skirts after preping them up! looks good for two coats unsanded you can still see alot of the areas i burned through when i wet sanded but it looks decent! heres some pics
its rustoleum sunrise red:

mixed a to 1/4 cup paint to 1/8th (2p:1t)cup mineral spirits dryed to the tuch in around 4hrs its not even tacky!

wct203814
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by megaglow_z on May 26th 2008, 8:56 pm

wct203814 wrote:oh yeah heres a quick question for anyone.. whats your thoughts on using a rattle can filler primer over the filler to act as some what of a glazing putty or w/e just to fill the minor imperfections?

Thanks
-Shannon
lol...looks like you started already, but that's what i am using.I put it on kinda thick on the front of my hood where all the paint chips were, let cure for 2 days, then sanded smooth.looks like glass Smile
megaglow_z
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by wct203814 on May 26th 2008, 9:26 pm

lol yeah it works good! man i love this painting stuff and wet sanding! should have went to school for bodywork insted of a autotech!!! ahh oh well... Very Happy
wct203814
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by wct203814 on June 1st 2008, 1:07 am

ok so heres how far i am now the car is completly wet sanded with 400g and has a even dull tone. im still waiting for a new hatch i got into looking at my bumper cover and side skirt and im going to just repair them and buy a new hatch and rear bumper cover. wont be till some time next week so it looks like ill be layed up another week before i even begin to paint. heres progress pictures.. the front bumper cover is going to take quite a bit of time just to get it ready for anything...:S i think it will be worth fixing though.

I used this as a test to see how well plastic weld and locktite superglue and a light coat of epoxy would hold ! worked great and i used the super glue as a filler in the seam of the crack and it works great! sanded down smooth and dosent crack under flex! im going to use this on the front bumper cover and get some bumper primer,flexible bondo, and some decent flex additive for the paint so it dosent spider crack! im also going to spray most of the side skirting with a hvlp gun so i hit every crevis and done have to worry about it as much! do you have to do as many coats when u use a hvlp style coat? vrs a roller?

Thanks
-Shannon
wct203814
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by wct203814 on June 2nd 2008, 12:28 am

heres a post of the front bumper cover fixed~!

From this

wct203814
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 85S10project on June 2nd 2008, 4:16 pm

looks good. That camaro in the garage looks like its a nice car too!
85S10project
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 64
Project : 90 K5 Blazer , 86 S10 Blazer, 91 Camaro RS/SS
Registration date : 2007-12-14

View user profile http://camaroearneasymoney.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by wct203814 on June 2nd 2008, 10:14 pm

Thanks, Yeah its not bad! its the girlfriends car 1990 rs 305
wct203814