semi first?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

semi first?

Post by megaglow_z on June 5th 2008, 11:33 pm

If i wanted to paint the toyota in semi gloss black first, to just see what it looked like.
Could i then just sand and paint gloss after if i dont like it since I'm doing 4-6 coats anyway????
Mind you i will be spraying it.

I'm kinda digging the way the skull looks in primer coat..lol

And how nit picky do i have to be about all the really little chips and such...will they sand out in the wet sanding?

I'm probably going to prime, wet sand whole truck with 600, then prime again, wet sand with 600 again, wipe down with MS after a good air spraying and drying time and start spraying.

I will be priming the entire truck with rusto auto primer in a rattle can....might as well, the truck is almost all covered anyway...lol
megaglow_z
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

Number of posts : 261
Job/hobbies : Autoglass tech
Project : 81 Yota
Registration date : 2007-12-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: semi first?

Post by retired plumber on June 6th 2008, 11:46 am

Sure you can. Just use the same kind of paint
The skull does look neat. Good blending job.
I have never went past 360 grit before spraying and never had a problem. Also, when I sand primer it is usually dry sanding and very lightly because spray can paint is very thin and you don't want to go through. This sanding is just to get the nibs and junk out and make sure it is level and smoooooth and your little chips, etc, yes you will probably see them but that depends on the chip and your desire to have a perfect job. I usually sand untill I say to my self "self, screw it thats enough. This isn't a show car. Thats good enough". Usually at first I think its really good and then realize there are a few imperfections and then after a while it dosen't really matter anymore because most people won't even notice them and think it looks good.
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1004
Job/hobbies : retired honey does and the occasional custom car (old school)
Project : figuring out how to do metalflake
Registration date : 2008-04-27

View user profile http://glasaholic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by megaglow_z on June 6th 2008, 10:27 pm

good deal!
Im sanding with 600 cause.....well i have alot of it...lol

retired plumber wrote: I usually sand until I say to my self "self, screw it that's enough. This isn't a show car. That's good enough".
Mike

Ya...I'm there now...lol
After doing the skull, shaving the side marker lights, and fixing the mirror mounting holes in the doors and all the dents, I don't care to sand anything else for awhile..lol

Thanks.
megaglow_z
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

Number of posts : 261
Job/hobbies : Autoglass tech
Project : 81 Yota
Registration date : 2007-12-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content