Mixing Colors

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Mixing Colors

Post by Coconut Eater on June 11th 2008, 1:43 pm

Since my local hardware store (Home Depot) wouldn't order paint for me in a timely manner, I decided to go with Plan B: Mix my own.
The store had an abundance of Gloss Sunburst Yellow Rustoleum, and I already had a quart of it at home, so I decided to add some Rusto red in a quart (not safety red, as you'll see later). Then this month's Hot Rod magazine has an article about custom paint. This opens up a whole palette of color options for us rollers!

Rusto Gloss Sunburst Yellow + Safety Red = a Salmony Pink
Rusto Gloss Sunburst Yellow + Rusto Gloss Sunrise Red = pink
2 quarts Rusto Gloss Sunburst Yellow + 1 qt sunrise red = an orangy pink
3 quarts Rusto Gloss Sunburst Yellow + 1 quart sunrise red = an orange somewhat like Allis Chalmers Orange

The last one is what I was after, and is close enough for me! bounce

Go forth and experiment! I am tempted to see what handicap blue and safety red make. Might look good on my Suzuki GS850L.

Coconut Eater
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 47
Job/hobbies : cars, trucks, planes, and guns
Project : 1992 Nissan Sentra SE, and 1984 Dodge D100
Registration date : 2007-12-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Mixing Colors................

Post by Sprngfldxj on July 9th 2008, 12:23 am

What would you mix to get "Burnt Orange" like the Texas Long Horns use?
Sprngfldxj
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2008-07-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mixing Colors

Post by Roadking41a on July 31st 2008, 8:02 pm

Good Info maybe we can get a sticky. And a member mixes something different and add it.
Roadking41a
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

Number of posts : 300
Project : undecided
Registration date : 2008-01-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt on August 28th 2008, 12:28 am

The topic has been turned into a sticky. Good information here.

400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 563
Project : Ford Ranger Splash

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Italian Sentra

Post by Coconut Eater on October 1st 2008, 12:18 pm

Here's a funny story-
When I decided to roll on paint was after my son wrecked my Nissan. The other party's insurance company gave me a big check for the car, and I repaired it myself for under $500, including the Rustoleum safety red and all the paraphernalia to paint it.

Fast forward one year, on the same week one year later, my son wrecked the Nissan again, same panels involved as last time, again not his fault. This time I was working out-of-town and told him just take it to the body shop, and squared it all away with the insurance company, etc.

So, when he got there yesterday to pick up the car all the body shop people stopped working and came to the counter. The shop foreman asked him "Where did you get that paint?" My son said he didn't know, that his dad painted it. So the shop foreman asked the question everybody at the body shop wanted to know: "Well, we use a computerized camera system to match paint. The computer selects the year, make, and model of the car from a few photographic samplings of your car and matches them so we can custom mix the paint to each car. Where the hell did your dad get the Lamborghini Countach paint? Does he have one?"

I wish I had been there to tell them it was Rustoleum I rolled on with a roller and mineral spirits! cheers

Coconut Eater
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 47
Job/hobbies : cars, trucks, planes, and guns
Project : 1992 Nissan Sentra SE, and 1984 Dodge D100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Fastmover on October 1st 2008, 2:45 pm

Coconut Eater wrote:Here's a funny story- Where the hell did your dad get the Lamborghini Countach paint? Does he have one?"

I wish I had been there to tell them it was Rustoleum I rolled on with a roller and mineral spirits! cheers

That story made my day. Way to go. I hope you are enjoying your Lamborghini Countach Nissan! Very Happy
Fastmover
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 33
Job/hobbies : Training Manager at a Biotech/Photography and restoring my truck.
Project : 1970 Ford F250 4X4 (Highboy)
Registration date : 2008-09-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadking41a on March 3rd 2009, 10:31 pm

Coconut Eater wrote:Here's a funny story-
When I decided to roll on paint was after my son wrecked my Nissan. The other party's insurance company gave me a big check for the car, and I repaired it myself for under $500, including the Rustoleum safety red and all the paraphernalia to paint it.

Fast forward one year, on the same week one year later, my son wrecked the Nissan again, same panels involved as last time, again not his fault. This time I was working out-of-town and told him just take it to the body shop, and squared it all away with the insurance company, etc.

So, when he got there yesterday to pick up the car all the body shop people stopped working and came to the counter. The shop foreman asked him "Where did you get that paint?" My son said he didn't know, that his dad painted it. So the shop foreman asked the question everybody at the body shop wanted to know: "Well, we use a computerized camera system to match paint. The computer selects the year, make, and model of the car from a few photographic samplings of your car and matches them so we can custom mix the paint to each car. Where the hell did your dad get the Lamborghini Countach paint? Does he have one?"

Thats funny right there, Laughing
Roadking41a
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

Number of posts : 300
Project : undecided
Registration date : 2008-01-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by einarborg1 on May 11th 2010, 7:02 am

IŽd pay good money to see the expresion on the guys face if he got told that it was rusto

But still good info on the paint mixing
einarborg1
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2010-05-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down