run away!!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

run away!!

Post by megaglow_z on June 25th 2008, 11:30 pm

Ok, I have run about 10 inches long on my fender. Its from when i tried a 50 50 mix and it was to warm.
Anyway, here is the deal. I have sanded it smooth to the touch and when you sheet water over it, you cannot see it at all.
There is still a pattern of the run in the paint surface tho, and i have sanded it almost down to the primer. I tried to shoot over it, and the paint will take on the line that's still there. I sanded it off and shot a thin coat of primer over it and repainted. that worked great!
Now the question....Can i leave it like that and shoot my last 2 color coats? or will i have to take it down to metal and start over?
megaglow_z
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

Number of posts : 261
Job/hobbies : Autoglass tech
Project : 81 Yota
Registration date : 2007-12-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: run away!!

Post by retired plumber on June 26th 2008, 12:46 am

Shoot away. No need to go to metal. Actually, the thinner the paint, the more transparent it is so you were seeing the run remnents but they would cover with more paint. If you sanded smooth and could not feel it with your fingers you were good to go. Primer is porus and the paint in the run filled the minute pores in the primer so that is probably what you were seeing. Anyway,With that being said, you now have primer over it and can't see it now so sand smooth and paint away. Try to approximate the same amount of paint on your repair as there is on the rest of the truck and spray the same way you did the rest so it looks uniform. Just a heads up........ you know its there but 99% of everybody else will never see it unless you tell them. grin Its just your little secret
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1004
Job/hobbies : retired honey does and the occasional custom car (old school)
Project : figuring out how to do metalflake
Registration date : 2008-04-27

View user profile http://glasaholic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by megaglow_z on June 26th 2008, 1:16 am

Cool deal man. And thanks for baby sitting me through this.
I don't know if it is the rusto or what, but it really likes to mimic patterns in the paint/primer under it..even if you cant feel them.
Its looking better every time i mess with it now tho Smile
I found where i was getting all the water in the line from.the air fittings at the compressor were getting VERY hot and then the temp would drop in the line and condense. I run a small amount of water over them now to keep them cool and get a lot less water in my filter trap.
Friday is looking like a front moving through and drier air, so ill spray the bed in the evening, then shoot the full truck 2 more times Saturday.
I'm putting a lot of paint on this truck, especially at the sharp corners as I'm planing to polish it pretty heavily to get all the crap out of the paint.
Ive been wet sanding every coat to get rid of paint nibs and trash with 600 grit and it is making the truck very smooth.Just not confident yet that i can get the final finish i want.Im an autoglass guy, so im use to looking at glass and expecting that to be the final finish. Does not pay to be broke and picky i guess...lol
megaglow_z
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by retired plumber on June 26th 2008, 12:32 pm

My pleasure. All my experience is with auto paint but I'm sure most carrys over to rusto. Thats a good idea about the corners. Might want to hit all the edges with extra also. I don't know why but the paint tends to migrate away from them so it is thinner there. When you start buffing (if you use power) try to have the buffer wheel run off the corner and not on to it. This lessons the chance for digging in also. Another thought is to go VERY lightly on cornors and edges and finish them by hand. I know its a lot of work but it sure beats trying to fix a burn through.
I did that on my truck with bc/cc heavy metallic red and it did NOT fix well (to me anyway) but most people don't even notice it.
Glad you got your water problem figured out. just remember to drain the tank each time so you are starting with a dry system. You might want to unhook your hose and drain it also.
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by retired plumber on June 26th 2008, 12:45 pm

Some more ramblings from a old man Laughing when you start your next coats hit all your corners and sharp edges first and then go ahead and paint that coat as normal. That way there is no paint stop edge which means less sanding.
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by megaglow_z on June 26th 2008, 7:27 pm

retired plumber wrote:Some more ramblings from a old man Laughing when you start your next coats hit all your corners and sharp edges first and then go ahead and paint that coat as normal. That way there is no paint stop edge which means less sanding.
Mike
Thats what ive been doing Smile glad i was correct on that!
Also when i start, i just crack the drain on the bottom and have it leak very slightly.seems to keep all the water out of it.

You wana come shoot this things last coat???
lol

Just kidding.
Thanks for all the help!!!!
megaglow_z
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by retired plumber on June 27th 2008, 12:24 am

You will have that thing painted before I could get there Laughing . When you get to your last coat, let it tack (sticky to the touch. Test on the masking) and mix up some thinner with just enough paint to give it color and JUST MIST it on from 2+ feet away. If you do this before the last coat sets up hard the extra thinner you mist on will sort of mix with that coat and help the flow out. Be careful tho. you dont want to put on a "full" coat. Like I said, just mist it on. With any luck you may not have to color sand or even buff thumbs up
Glad you got the water figured out.
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum