Need help with 2-tone

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Need help with 2-tone

Post by Clark_R on August 6th 2008, 12:02 pm

Hello everyone, name's Clark. Been looking at the rolled on method for a while now, so I decided to take a crack at it on my Daily Beater, haha.

However, I've become stumped at a thought I had last night regarding what I want to do with it... I plan to do the top in Charcoal Grey, do the wet sanding between coats, but here's where I get confused. Once the top is done with the final 1500/2000 wet sanding, I wanted to mask of the top, and do Sun Rise Red on the bottom half, my concern was that when I'm laying on the layers, and it's getting harder, when it's done, will the tape still be able to come up, producing a nice crisp line? It doesn't have to be perfect as there will be a silver pin stripe between the two, but I just didn't want the paint to be so hard that it wouldn't come off.

Thanks to anyone that has an answer. Also, I'll be using the Rust-O-Leum Professional thinned with mineral spirits of course.
Clark_R
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2008-08-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Need help with 2-tone

Post by retired plumber on August 7th 2008, 2:14 pm

Hi Clark. Welcome to the forum. In answer to your question, use the blue low tack tape or green automotive tape because they are designed to come up easy after staying for several days. Even then I consider 5 days the max I would leave it on. DON'T use the cheap crap because after several days it is a hassle to get off and it will cause fresh paint underneith to lift with it.
What kind of beater do you have? Also we love to see pictures. It inspires the rest of us.
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1004
Job/hobbies : retired honey does and the occasional custom car (old school)
Project : figuring out how to do metalflake
Registration date : 2008-04-27

View user profile http://glasaholic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Clark_R on August 7th 2008, 3:29 pm

As soon as I get the basic prep done, I'll snap off a couple 'o pics for ya.

I do have all the proper tape, I was just wondering if it would still come off after the paint has hardened some.
Clark_R
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by retired plumber on August 7th 2008, 5:07 pm

It should come off no problem. However, take it off as soon as you can. Don't leave it on for a month or more. As I said, after 5 days I would take it off and then retape if necessary. Tape is cheeeeep when you consider the extra work required if it dosen't want to come off or does in little pieces. I have been painting cars for 40 years as a hobby and I have left tape on too long and believe me, you will learn new words when that happens Laughing
Go for it. Its fun. When I unmask a car, for me its like unwrapping a present. I think painting is about the best hobby there is.
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Clark_R on August 8th 2008, 12:44 am

Oh I agree, Mike. I did a full spray can job on my old '77 Celica, came out great considering. Very Happy

But on this I plan do to some sort of Grey on the top, and Red on the bottom, with a silver pin stripe between them running along the center line.

I figured I could do the top coats and wet sands between, and before the final wet sand on the top, mask it off, and paint the bottom layers, then when it's all laid on, unmask it, and wet sand it the final time all at once, then polish, pin stripe, and bam.
Clark_R
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMJ Rick on August 8th 2008, 12:55 am

If you want a crisp line tape off where the gray stops, paint the gray and sand as normal up to the final sand and buff. Remove tape (of course) and tape the edge of the gray and apply and sand the red the same way. Remove tape and finish wet sand and buff. You won't get the paint on paint edge of one color laying on the other.
JMJ Rick
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 114
Job/hobbies : Printshop owner
Project : 91 Geo Storm GSi, 93 Geo Storm, 66 Chevy pickup
Registration date : 2007-12-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by retired plumber on August 8th 2008, 1:44 am

Have you used a stripping brush before? There is one heck of a learning curve there. If not I would suggest stripping tape. You can find it in the paint dept in your local auto parts store. Its vinal and works real good.
Of course................If you are like me you will HAVE to try the brush Laughing
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt on August 28th 2008, 12:02 am

Welcome to the forums. I would think that the length of time it takes for you to finish the bottom in red, the top would have had time to cure a litte. At least to the point where the tape won't pull it off. Keep us updated!

400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 563
Project : Ford Ranger Splash
Registration date : 2007-12-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Clark_R on August 28th 2008, 3:12 am

Well, figured since it was only a $300 dollar beater rig, I decided to just rattle can it. Will be wet sanding and all though, so it'll still come out decent. I was going to roll it, till I got word from a local paint supply store that Rustolium just discontinued their Charcoal Grey and the red I wanted....
Clark_R
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top