greetings

View previous topic View next topic Go down

greetings

Post by roky on December 11th 2007, 7:33 pm

i'm resoring an old vw, problem is, i'm in the middle of the desert with only solar for electric --- so no way to run my air compressor,and after reading about this approach, i think i can do at least as good a job as my last lacquer job -- thing is, i've got a bit of body work on the vw, and old, crazed lacquer paint -- so i would like to also roll on a high-build primer surfacer -- anybody hear of anyone doing that? -- i know how easy it is to spray primer, but again, no compressor on 12v solar -- i'm a bit concerned that since it will probably be 2 part urethane, it might set up too fast - i've rollled a boat before, and they do make primers that don't set up too fast for marine

and thanks much for the site

roky
roky
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2007-12-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: greetings

Post by Matt on December 11th 2007, 8:12 pm

Welcome to the site. I had a 67 Baja Beetle at the beginning of the year. They are a blast. I thought I seen a primer made by rustoleum when I bought my paint. I don't see any problem with rolling the primer on other than spending a little extra time. Not sure how many coats of the primer it would take to cover. Maybe one or 2 coats if you didnt thin it? Hopefully one of the current members can chime in and elaborate a little more about the primer. If not, the site is growing with more and more knowledge everyday. I'm hoping soon that we can create a huge database for questions and answers regarding everything rolled on.

Last edited by on December 21st 2007, 8:39 am; edited 1 time in total

400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 563
Project : Ford Ranger Splash
Registration date : 2007-12-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by roky on December 16th 2007, 11:40 am

matt - i've used rustoleum primer before, but for this project, which involves quite a bit of bodywork, i want to use a 2-part high build primer, both for corrosion prevention, and to level the surface before painting -- i know transtar makes a roll on primer, but its not hi-build -- i figure a rolled on primer shouldn't be too hard to sand level, since it builds quickly and sands easily, compared to the finish coat -- maybe i will have to be the test case?

roky
roky
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2007-12-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt on December 25th 2007, 10:38 am

Give it a shot man and let us know how it turns out.

400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 563
Project : Ford Ranger Splash
Registration date : 2007-12-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by badbyrdkoncepts on December 25th 2007, 2:04 pm

yeah i would use evercoat slick sand, that stuff is awesome and some guys on fgf have great results with it. sand like chalk so it doesnt matter how it lookes rolled on your just gonna sand back down anyway, so make life easier grin
post us up some pics if you get a chance also,
keep on rock J
badbyrdkoncepts
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 109
Project : 1986 pontiac trans am
Registration date : 2007-12-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt on February 1st 2008, 1:45 pm