Great forum!!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Great forum!!

Post by moose on August 20th 2008, 7:07 pm

Like others here I've been researching the rolled on paint job for a while now. I've got a 72 Nova, all original, handed down to me from my father who got it from my grandfather...I wasn't expecting to get it so soon and with young kids I just don't have the money to spend on a professional paint job and this would make a great project for me as well. Before I get started though is there any issues with lead paint in the original paint on this car? Also, is sanding or stripping recommended for paint this old? Thanks!!

Moose
moose
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2008-08-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Great forum!!

Post by retired plumber on August 20th 2008, 7:58 pm

Hi Moose, welcome to the forum.
Ask and you will recieve.
I don't think there has been any lead in auto paint for many years if in fact there ever was. As for sanding and stripping...........It all depends on the shape of the paint on the car. If it is still solid and in good condition (but faded, etc) just sand and go. However if it is peeling or is starting to show rust through where it is thin then that place needs to go down to metal and start back out with primer, etc. Actually the best foundation for a new paint job is a still solid (sanded properly) factory paint job. The only time you really need to strip a car is to find all the rust or if it has too much paint on it(6+ paint jobs). However there is the bragging rights to (yah, stripped and started from scratch) meaning a high dollar, show car job but that really dosen't really apply to 99.99999% of the people here Smile .
Hope this helped you. If you need more help just let us know. Were always here to help. Good luck.
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1004
Job/hobbies : retired honey does and the occasional custom car (old school)
Project : figuring out how to do metalflake
Registration date : 2008-04-27

View user profile http://glasaholic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by moose on August 20th 2008, 8:12 pm

Thanks for the great info Mike! No show quality needed for me, main goal is to protect it. I think the paint for the most part is in good enough condition to just sand and get going like you said. I'm gonna keep the paint white too so hopefully that'll cut down on the coats needed as well. Thanks again,

Moose
moose
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2008-08-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by megaglow_z on August 20th 2008, 8:55 pm

Welcome!
Be sure to start a project thread and take loads of pics!!
megaglow_z
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

Number of posts : 261
Job/hobbies : Autoglass tech
Project : 81 Yota
Registration date : 2007-12-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt on August 28th 2008, 12:06 am

Sorry for the late response. Welcome to forums, please keep us updated on your project and let us know if we can help in any way.

400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 563
Project : Ford Ranger Splash
Registration date : 2007-12-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top