Rolling my own

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Rolling my own

Post by markw on September 1st 2008, 7:08 pm

New guy with an old car. 67 Camaro. Back halved, roll cage, 406 sb tunnel ram. Wasn't even a 20 footer when I got her 18 years ago and slowly getting worse. Fun to drive butt ugly.
Scuffing up body, fixing some rust, but no funds to do full restore like quarters, fenders, doors, trunk lid, rockers ..... Read about rolling and saw the results you are getting and suddenly my project seems possible. All the painting forums laugh at rolling but it doesn't matter how the paint gets on the car if you cut and buff it anyway. Reasonably talented but can't spray a car in my attached garage no matter how cheap the paint is. Using Pettit Easypoxy in Sunflower Yellow, very close to Corvette Yellow. My test pieces are very encouraging and I'm convinced I can equal a stock paint job in quality. This paint is $28.00 a quart so it won't be a $50.00 job but that's not the point. I can paint my car in my garage without killing my family or the neighbors with fumes and achieve results better than a cheap spray job. If only body work wasn't so time consuming!
markw
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 14
Job/hobbies : Machinist
Project : 1967 Camaro
Registration date : 2008-06-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rolling my own

Post by retired plumber on September 1st 2008, 8:29 pm

Welcome markw.
Back in the early days all cars were painted with a brush and then sanded and buffed.

Who cares what the other forums think about us lol. We do what we have to do and high dollar paint is not the point here,especially when you are putting your money in other things.
Personally I am not into the hot rod part. I am more into the custom visual end of things and I love the body work and painting part. When I unmask a freshly painted car, for me it is just like opening a christmas present.
I have been painting cars as a hobby for 40 years and have sprayed them but I am moving to a place where I can't spray so rolling is how I will be going and you are right about the fumes, etc.
After seeing some of the results here I am amazed. While it is true there is more work than spraying there are many benefits also. Cost and fumes are on the top of the list along with no spray time windows, etc.
Anyway, welcome again and as our admin. (Matt) would say "keep us posted on your progress and we do like pictures". Well something like that
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1004
Job/hobbies : retired honey does and the occasional custom car (old school)
Project : figuring out how to do metalflake
Registration date : 2008-04-27

View user profile http://glasaholic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by tbirdsps on September 11th 2008, 10:09 am

retired plumber wrote:Welcome markw.
Back in the early days all cars were painted with a brush and then sanded and buffed.

Who cares what the other forums think about us lol. We do what we have to do and high dollar paint is not the point here,especially when you are putting your money in other things.
Personally I am not into the hot rod part. I am more into the custom visual end of things and I love the body work and painting part. When I unmask a freshly painted car, for me it is just like opening a christmas present.
I have been painting cars as a hobby for 40 years and have sprayed them but I am moving to a place where I can't spray so rolling is how I will be going and you are right about the fumes, etc.
After seeing some of the results here I am amazed. While it is true there is more work than spraying there are many benefits also. Cost and fumes are on the top of the list along with no spray time windows, etc.
Anyway, welcome again and as our admin. (Matt) would say "keep us posted on your progress and we do like pictures". Well something like that
Mike

I disagree with the more work part. In order to have a great spray job there's many hours of preparation. In roll on the work is shifted from prep to paint instead of the reverse. While prep is still important it's not as intense as it is for spray.

It will still take one man less time for roll on than one man on a spray job. This is just my observation.

A cheap spray job such as Maaco will not last or look as good as a good roll on job in my opinion. I've seen both. This is just like doing your own home repairs.....Sweat equity!
tbirdsps
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2008-01-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by retired plumber on September 11th 2008, 11:49 pm

I don't know because I haven't rolled a car yet so you may be right. My thinking was that you want the car as good as you can get it before you put paint on either way. My comment was about sanding every other coat for ten coats worth which I think would be a lot of work in comparassion to spraying three coats and then one color sand and buff when the prep work was the same for either method. Either way if the painter is happy with it, thats all that matters. Good luck with with your car thumbs up
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by tbirdsps on September 12th 2008, 9:30 am

You betcha. Lots of work. My point was with rolled on the prep doesn't necessarily require a full primer and absolute perfection like a spray job but you are right all the flaws need to be dealt with either way.

I haven't started yet. I'm trying to get all the mechanicals done for the emissions inspection. I'm having trouble with the EGR system right now. I think the tube from the exhaust to the EGR is plugged, at least partially. It's soaking in breakfree right now so I can get it off.
tbirdsps
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2008-01-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by retired plumber on September 12th 2008, 8:52 pm

I like to do a full primer coat as in "all one color". That sure makes the color coat cover easier and faster with less paint. If I only have a couple of primer spots then I will spot them in with a couple of coats first. The best base for new paint always has been and will continue to be the unbroken factory paint. Also remember, the final finish is only as good as the body work and prep under it. Believe me when I say that you WILL see sanding scratches, rock chips,waves, etc because the finish coat will not cover them up.
I painted my truck metallic red with four coats and it looks very nice........except where I had two different colors of primer on it (of course, its the hood) but what the heck, its only a work truck so I don't care.. I'm just speaking from many years of past experiance and what works for me. Smile
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Lugnut on October 3rd 2008, 2:29 pm

Well I guess you made your first post a month ago, but welcome! You're right in my neck of the woods.
I rolled my old CRX, looked great. Gone now, but I have pics on my other computer. Always willing to lend a hand for your project, if you like Smile I'm right up the road!
Lugnut
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2008-07-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt on January 10th 2009, 1:25 pm

Welcome to the forums. I can't wait to see what you do with your camaro.

400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 563
Project : Ford Ranger Splash
Registration date : 2007-12-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top