What Am I doing wrong.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What Am I doing wrong.

Post by dissfigured on September 19th 2008, 9:34 pm

So, a year and a half ago, I did my whole car, and it came out great. I just got a new hood, and I am rolling it but I seem to have lost something over the last year.

When I am rolling on a coat, I get the bubbles but the paint seems splotchy rather than smooth. It is like where the bubbles are, the paint id thicker and the result is not even like orange peel bur more like it is uneven. Too Thin? Too Thick? What?

Also, I got my paint from Lowes this time rather than Home Depot and I notice at Home depot when I painted this car last year, the rustoleum cans were white with a colored band around the top indicating color. The cans I got from Lowes are silver w/ the colored band. Both cans were "Regal Red" but I am not sure if there is a difference between the silver and the white cans.

Any tips would be great. I can't believe I had such an easy time with this last time, and now I am sucking at it so bad....

dissfigured
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2007-12-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What Am I doing wrong.

Post by retired plumber on September 19th 2008, 10:35 pm

I'm just guessing here but are you going back over the fresh paint with a dry roller to kill the bubbles? That would make sure the paint was the same thickness. Remember, it takes several coats for good coverage. Maybe too hot or too cold? Is your paint the recommended 1-1 ratio? Is the mineral spirits the same brand as before? All just guessing here. I know one of the fellows here got a bad can of paint.
I have no idea about the different labels except I know usually when things are reformulated the label is usually changed also. I wouldn't think the store you got it from would make any difference. I hope this helped or at least gave you something to think about. Good luck.
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1004
Job/hobbies : retired honey does and the occasional custom car (old school)
Project : figuring out how to do metalflake
Registration date : 2008-04-27

View user profile http://glasaholic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by dissfigured on September 19th 2008, 11:42 pm

Figured it out.

Too much paint on the roller. I recall last time I did this, i tried many different methods, and for the very last coat of paint last time, I got every bit of paint out of the roller I could so I was having to press hard and only lay down a paper thin coat for the last coat.

I just did that and the last coat came out beautiful. No buffing needed.

whew...

dissfigured
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2007-12-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down