rolling a 92 accord ex

View previous topic View next topic Go down

rolling a 92 accord ex

Post by 92accord on November 19th 2008, 7:45 am

Hi, I'm new here and just wanted to share some pictures of my progress so far. I've put on 3 coats of gloss white rustoleum so far, ran out of daylight, so in a week, when I'm off work again, I'm gonna start wetsanding for the next coat. Right now, it's still pretty blurry looking trying to see reflections in it, but I know that will buff out in the end. Heres what I got so far......tell me what you think.... Very Happy

I've got a bunch more pictures of the in between stages, but I just posted up like a first, middle, last kinda pics...lol. Still have a ways to go, but I will say, so far, so good...
92accord
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2008-11-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: rolling a 92 accord ex

Post by Techmaven on November 19th 2008, 4:37 pm

Don't forget details about your procedure..We love details! Well, I do and I'm sure others do as well. Very Happy

Techmaven
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 60
Job/hobbies : Facilities for a large company
Project : 93 Mercury Tracer 4 door.
Registration date : 2008-09-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 92accord on November 19th 2008, 10:00 pm

I'm just doing a regular old roll on job. I tried mixing my paint with mineral spirits, but it was so thin, it was literally running off the car...lol. So I just used the paint alone with no mineral spirits, and it seems to be working very well so far. I'm using rustoleum, gloss white, protective enamel. I've put on 3 coats so far, and haven't even started wetsanding yet. That will be my next step, then probably 2 or 3 more coats, then repeat as needed until I get the finish I'm looking for. Then when it's all done, buff, swirl remover, and wax, and hopefully, she'll look pretty good. I'll update as I work on the car too, so stay tuned... Very Happy
92accord
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by megaglow_z on November 20th 2008, 1:03 am

wow...you really should mix at least a little with it, it takes forever to dry without it.
megaglow_z
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

Number of posts : 261
Job/hobbies : Autoglass tech
Project : 81 Yota
Registration date : 2007-12-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by retired plumber on November 20th 2008, 1:04 am

What Mega said ^.
Details and pictures. Thats what we like. We also like helping by answering questions so if you have any, just ask.
Most here mix their paint 1 to 1 with thinner and you are using straight paint. Interesting...............Please let us know the outcome and how much orange peel you get. I would think a bit of thinner would help with the flow out and help prevent o.p.
Looking good so far and just a reminder about your masking tape. Get it off as soon as you can after the paint dries. Good luck.
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1004
Job/hobbies : retired honey does and the occasional custom car (old school)
Project : figuring out how to do metalflake
Registration date : 2008-04-27

View user profile http://glasaholic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by 92accord on November 20th 2008, 11:24 pm

I'll try to mix with the mineral spirits again on the next coats, but when you are saying a 1:1 mixture, you're saying half paint, and half mineral spirits right? Thats what I tried first, and it looked horrible. Was fisheyed reeeeeally bad. Any advice. Just rolling on straight paint, it went on nicely, but has orange peel like crazy.....but I thought that was what the wetsanding was for. Oh, and I'm gonna start wetsanding tonight, so I'll put up some more pics soon too. Thanks guys for all the support. I'm sure you guys will be able to help me with any questions too.
92accord
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by retired plumber on November 21st 2008, 3:28 am

If you thought the 1-1 mix was too thin, don't go that far but you need a bit anyway because that helps the paint flow out better and will reduce the orange peel so there is less sanding. The thinner the paint the better flow out but mix it the way you think you can handle it. If you like the way the first coats went on and don't mind the sanding then go for it but try a bit of thinner next time and see how you like it. I bet you will. Good luck
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by 92accord on November 21st 2008, 7:20 am

Well, I went out tonight to start wetsanding, and after 30 minutes and a corner of the fender done, I'm gonna go buy a power sander next time I get a few bucks.....on a good note, I did paint the original door moldings and bumper molding back to black how it's supposed to be. Looks a million times better after doing that. What do you guys think?
92accord
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by retired plumber on November 21st 2008, 3:10 pm

The side molding looks good but I think (my opinion) I would leave the whole bumper white or make everything match the interior.
Power is always nice but be careful so you don't take off more than you need. I don't know how an electric sander and water would mix tho.......... something to think about. Looks good so far tho. Enjoy your project and have fun
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by megaglow_z on November 22nd 2008, 10:09 pm

You do not want to use a power sander with water, and you cant just dry sand it, it wont work.
Only way to get it smooth is to wet sand by hand.
And try a 2 part paint to 1 part thinner. that's what i mixed when i sprayed mine.

And i kinda liked the bumper all white.Sides look good black tho.
megaglow_z
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

Number of posts : 261
Job/hobbies : Autoglass tech
Project : 81 Yota
Registration date : 2007-12-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 92accord on November 25th 2008, 2:21 am

Thanks everyone, but I got bad news.....I sold the car today to a buddy of mine cause his car was actin up. I'm sure I'll get another project car eventually though, so I'll be back sometime. Thanks everyone for your help.
92accord
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top