Couple of prep questions about filler / primer / paper

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Couple of prep questions about filler / primer / paper

Post by Slick on December 22nd 2008, 9:03 pm

Ok, I am working this all by hand I don't have power tools.

I have located 4-5 rust bubble areas on my car, and 1 small ding on the front fender I'm talking the size of a quarter and about 1/8 inch deep. I will attempt to massage the ding out with a dolly.

1.) What grit do I sand down the ding and the rust to bare metal with?
2.) One of the rust spots is a little flaky, can I use a soft wire wheel on my drill to take that area down to metal?
3.) What grit do I level out the filler with? I'm working by hand, so would it be easier to 2 step it and hit 240 then 400 or something?
4.) After the body filler has been smoothed by sanding, should I spray some primer over it just to cover it up so the paint sticks?
5.) Once the body work is done, what grit do I sand the entire car with?
6.) Once the cars sanded and even, do I need to prime the entire car? I plan on rolling Rustoleum Gloss Black.
Slick
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 6
Job/hobbies : Automobiles, & Photography
Project : 1986 Camaro
Registration date : 2008-12-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Couple of prep questions about filler / primer / paper

Post by retired plumber on December 22nd 2008, 9:43 pm

Hi Slick
To answer your questions.....
1 and 2..... using a wire brush in your drill will be best.
3....Get the filler as smooth as possible when applying and then I usually start with something like 150 and then progress to finer. Anything over 300 is real slow on filler.
4...yes you need primer. Remember, if you can see body work through primer, you can see it through the finished paint (BLACK SHOWS EVERYTHING). Also ,primer is not to be used as a scratch filler but it will do it a bit. Spray can stuff won't but if you get a quart and mix it..............I have even painted it on with a brush but don't tell anybody LOL.
5...I use 320 or 360.
6...Yes the whole car should be primered so the underbase is one solid color, even when using black. Again ,I would use 360 grit for this.
Good luck
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1004
Job/hobbies : retired honey does and the occasional custom car (old school)
Project : figuring out how to do metalflake
Registration date : 2008-04-27

View user profile http://glasaholic.com

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top