Rolling Tips / Lessons Learned

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Rolling Tips / Lessons Learned

Post by jtwh20 on January 25th 2009, 2:16 pm

Just a few lessons learned from my experience rolling:

1) Mixing your paint - I use a 2 1/2 quart plastic bucket - Pour in 1 qt of Rustoleum, then pour your mineral spirits into the empty can, close it up and swirl the can around but do not shake - Now pour the mineral spirits into your bucket - Stir, Stir Stir - it will take minutes to get it mixed well...

2) You can never have enough tape - If you think you need only 1 roll get 2...

3) Only pour enough paint into the tray for ONE panel - this keeps the paint that is in the tray from starting to harden a little - when you use up that pour out a little more...

4) If you are doing a big vehicle (my suburban is huge) you may need to change rollers - I used 1 roller for each side, as I found the roller would get built up with paint...

5) Take your time - I think charger69 said patience - Yep this is in no way a fast process...

6) The more time between coats the better - I found that between my 2nd and 3rd coats, the paint REALLY started to harden and flatten itself out - might be because of the cold, but for me, I put 2 coats on 1 weekend, (drive to work all week, find a sunny spot to park) then 2 more the following weekend - you could still smell the paint drying most of that time...

Anyway, that's my 2 cents - Good Luck to all who try this method!
jtwh20
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2009-01-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rolling Tips / Lessons Learned

Post by retired plumber on January 25th 2009, 4:14 pm

Good tips. Thank you. Its always nice to have imput and comments on the process from the people who are actually doing it.
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1004
Job/hobbies : retired honey does and the occasional custom car (old school)
Project : figuring out how to do metalflake
Registration date : 2008-04-27

View user profile http://glasaholic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by megaglow_z on January 27th 2009, 12:39 am

Thanks for those man, i like the 1st one. also as a note, if you have to get a lot of paint cause you have a big *** vehicle, mix all the cans in a bucket, then pour them back into there cans and seal. this makes sure you don't have a color difference between cans.
megaglow_z
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

Number of posts : 261
Job/hobbies : Autoglass tech
Project : 81 Yota
Registration date : 2007-12-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content