JJ's Heep

View previous topic View next topic Go down

JJ's Heep

Post by Jesse-James on February 27th 2009, 2:52 am

Well, it's that time. Still gathering things for my project at this point but I'm finally committed to doing this thing.

To start out this is my pile when I first got it. At this point all I had done was put a new top on it an mount my high-lift. Had no plans to offroad, I just wanted a convertible. Rolling Eyes

Here it is today after a couple years of wheeling and taking body damage.

As you can see the fenders got destroyed leading to severe trimming and the rockers have gotten pretty bad. I recently got pulled over for lack of tire coverage in the front so it was time to do something. I looked for quite a while for a pair of YJ fenders with no luck. Last week I came across a complete CJ front end which started this project. Altogether it will consist of an 8.8 rear axle, converting the rear to a triangulated 4 link on coils, 1" body lift (for the CJ grill to clear), adding 1/4" plate rockers to cover the bad damage, and retrofitting the CJ front end then paint. Looking at using Rustoleum Topside in Battleship Grey. Here's the front end I will be putting on....

While I start prepping the CJ parts the axle and suspension work will be done and then it will be on to sticker removal...

I'm looking at sanding the front end in 220 dry, 400 dry, prime, then 400 wet. Is that correct? Any problems using a palm sander for the dry sanding?
Jesse-James
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2009-02-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: JJ's Heep

Post by Bwick84 on February 27th 2009, 11:12 am

Nice project. It will look better as a CJ anyway Very Happy (I own an 83 CJ5).

The 220 should be good enough for the primer. I don't see the need to do 400 at that point. Then wet sand the primer with 400. Here's a good thread on what grits to use for painting:

http://www.autobody101.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1945

Also, for removing stickers, harbor freight sells these little tools (basically a handle) that you can stick razor blades in for like $2 and they take stickers right off.
Bwick84
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2008-06-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jesse-James on February 27th 2009, 11:23 am

Good to hear and great link for grit usage.

Loved this post BTW....

ok the next guy that reads this and DOESN'T VOTE=
we are gunna drive over to your house and paint your car bright pink with hot lime green polka dots, and mustard yellow lettering that says "I go to an autobody forum, and ask many, many questions, but when they ask ME for something, I just ignore it"

Anyways, thanks for the tips. Stickers shouldn't be a problem though, shouldn't be an issue other than maybe the dealer one. (Those are always a PITA)
Jesse-James
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jesse-James on March 14th 2009, 11:59 pm

Still too cold to start the body work but the 4 linked rear is almost done....

Jesse-James
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jesse-James on March 30th 2009, 10:24 pm

4 Link is done! Well, almost. Still figuring out exhaust, that is one hell of a headache. Rides awesome, I WILL be linking the front now, that's for sure.

Here's a few pics.....

Jesse-James
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jesse-James on March 30th 2009, 10:28 pm

here are the flex pics after mounting the 35's.......

I am going to limit it to where the coil is just about at the end of the retainer.

A small amount of flex to sacrifice for peace of mind.

Next is the body lift so I can start modifying the new body panels to fit.
Jesse-James
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MR2Miach on March 31st 2009, 2:16 am

Loving the work so far. I am not a 4X4 kind of person but I can enjoy the project and results just the same. I have to admit when I saw this picture all I thought about was my MR2 being all bent out of shape LoL. I actually cringed!
MR2Miach
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 61
Job/hobbies : Very active MR2 Owner
Registration date : 2009-03-10

View user profile http://www.mr2miach.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Jesse-James on May 7th 2009, 2:57 pm

So I won a pair of flush mount brackets at my club's poker run last Oct. It is a bracket that a friend makes for TJ's. I loved the way that his turned out so I decided to tackle it on my YJ. It's a tight squeeze but it can be done with the tails turned 90*. So I ordered a set of the Euro tails since they were only $40 and I was craving something different, and got to work.

Started by taking the driver side apart since that's where I had clearance issues with the gas filler and lined it up to see what I had.

Trimmed up the gas filler housing......

Marked and mounted it to the tub......

Traced the inside and cut the hole......

Modified the housing a bit.....

And mounted them up......

Finished product......

before....

after

Jesse-James
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadking41a on May 8th 2009, 8:47 pm

Looking great
Roadking41a
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

Number of posts : 300
Project : undecided
Registration date : 2008-01-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rivethead on May 12th 2009, 2:55 pm

Never seen tailights like that before. That's a nice clean look.
Rivethead
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2009-01-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jesse-James on May 14th 2009, 11:45 pm

Thanks.

Got the shocks on today so I got a better pic of the links while I was at it. Also got a used Poison Spyder rock ring for the 8.8. Bead blasted and painted it, good as new.

Jesse-James
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by iceman_ca on May 15th 2009, 6:51 am

Not trying to be rude, but i thought this was a DIY Paint site. The only thing that has been painted is the undercarriage. When are you starting the body prep, and painting
iceman_ca
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2008-03-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jesse-James on May 16th 2009, 2:27 am

All in due time, Should I have done paint beforehand and scratch it to hell in the process? I've left out most of the details not having to do with cosmetics. In the last 3 days alone I have done hubs, axle seals, gears, vacuum disconnect elimination, U joints, CB install, and a head unit install but have not posted since it didn't pertain. Shall I water it down some more for you? The only person to complain as of yet has two posts, at least half of which are whining in someone's build thread. Funny how you can be rude without trying.

For the record The initial trail run for it is Memorial day weekend, should everything work well then the front end swap will start immediately afterwards. It would be dumb to start the paint prep before all the modifications are done and tested.

Now may I continue?
Jesse-James
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by iceman_ca on May 16th 2009, 10:08 am

By all means continue.

In regards to my 2 posts, I come to this site to read and learn about painting. I am also registered under saab_ken, with a registration date of 2008-01-15.

I am on the forum on a daily basis to see the progress of projects and learn from others how to prep and paint vehicles,.

I do not post because I am presently working on mechanically rebuilding a 1995 saab 900. This car is not ready at the present time for paint, and as such I direct my mechanical postings to a Saab forum.

I could have posted 2.5 months of the rebuild here, but chose not to since I do not want to use the band width of this site, nor do I think most people here want to see how my lowering springs were installed.

If my paint peeled in great sheets, or the paint appears to be a mile deep because of a technique I used to buff it out, I would post. This information is relevent to the focus of this forum.

There have been a number of jeep postings on this site, which have gone into detail on their body prep and painting, I have followed these postings with great interest. They have provided links to various jeep sites, where the mechanical aspects of their project have been laid out in detail. How do i know ? I have followed the links, and read about the suspension articulation there, were it belongs.
iceman_ca
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jesse-James on May 20th 2009, 8:49 am

Again, get your whining *** the **** out of my thread.
Jesse-James
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rivethead on May 20th 2009, 10:16 am

J.J. up until now yor posts have been somewhat intresting. But Iceman has a point. They are off topic. He wasn't trying to insult you he was just asking you about when you're going to start painting. That is what this forum is all about. I'm doing a brake job on my truck this weekend. Should I post pics? Wink
Rivethead
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2009-01-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by iceman_ca on May 20th 2009, 1:15 pm

Thanks Rivet

It is good to see someone else gets my point of view. I am definitely not trying to be rude.
iceman_ca
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top