Hello from Rochester NY

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hello from Rochester NY

Post by 63Falconconvert on April 6th 2009, 1:27 pm

Hello from Rochester NY. I stumbled on this forum this morning searching for info on rolled paint jobs. I have a 1963 Falcon convertible that is my daily driver in the summer. The car has a really poor enamel paint job that was probably sprayed 20 years ago. From 20 feet the paint looks ok but it has some bad body work, blemishes in the paint and a few dents that where never fixed. Last summer I saw the article in Hot Rod mag featuring the 62 Falcon. The article really intrigued me. I have been restoring cars for almost 25 years now and have been painting since 1988. I want to repaint the Falcon but there are a few negatives, the price of auto paint has shot through the roof over the years, Iím getting cheap in my old age, my garage is attached to our house so the paint fumes will get into the house which will make for one unhappy wife, and I know my neighbors will freak if they see clouds of paint fumes billowing out of my garage window. So with that said I really want to give this rolling method a try. Iím looking at it like this, it canít look any worse then it does now. I have a lot of questions like Rustoleum vs Interlux, how do you paint door jams, back side of the hood and trunk? Thinning the paint etc. Iím sure a lot of my questions will be answered when I start reading the posts on this forum. Looking forward to being a member and to get going on this project.
Thanks,
Bob
63Falconconvert
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1268
Job/hobbies : Sales welding supplies
Project : 1963 Falcon Convertible
Registration date : 2009-04-06

View user profile https://bobs1963fordfalconconvertible.jimdo.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Hello from Rochester NY

Post by retired plumber on April 7th 2009, 9:58 pm

Welcome Bob
Want to sell your car? LOL. Just kidding. I would love to have that. Anyway, welcome and I see you already found the merc project.
I got about 20 years on you playing with cars and sure understand the cost of paint. When I did my first job (1967) I payed the horrible sum of almost $20 for a gallon of red, the most expensive color then (and still is today).
I have the same negatives as you plus I live in a HOA now so that makes it worse yet but I think I have figured out a water filter for the smelly colored cloud tho (just have to build it). One of my problems tho is I like to do trick stuff with metallic and flake so my current project is the canopy off my metallic silver Ford ranger which will be done in the same matching metallic silver auto paint which I happen to have a qt. of. Of course the roller marks may be a problem but what the heck, its only paint. Then to make matters worse, I plan to roll purple metalflake graphics over the silver. As far as I know, nobody has done metallic yet so I will be the first and will give a blow by blow as it happens.
On to your Questions...... I believe Interlux is polyurathane boat paint but it has been discussed here in a favorible light. Paint jams, underhood, etc with spray cans or foam brush and most thin paint 1:1 with mineral spirits. I have learned this by studying the forum, not from actual experience but I expect to have that experience by the weekend.
Good luck with your project.
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1004
Job/hobbies : retired honey does and the occasional custom car (old school)
Project : figuring out how to do metalflake
Registration date : 2008-04-27

View user profile http://glasaholic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by 63Falconconvert on April 8th 2009, 10:06 am

Mike,
I was starting to wonder if anyone was alive on this forum....lol
A few years ago I painted my 57 Olds in my garage and one of the things I did was to open the garage door half way and then hang a wet bed sheet from the bottom of the door to the floor. This really picked up a lot of the over spray. I did the car in a semi flat black, then layed out scallops on the hood and doors. The scallops where garnet red then cleared. I added some flake in the clear. A friend of mine is a striper so he outlined the scallops in white. The car was all custom, shaved door handles, nosed, decked, dual french antenas on each side, lowered 6 inches all the way around. Olds J2 with triples. Wife hated the car, to low to the ground...lol
The plan for the Falcon is to drive it all summer, start the body work in the fall, roll the paint next spring. A friend of mine has a 68 Firebird trunk lid he's going to let me experiment on. If all goes well then I will roll the Falcon.
Question, I'm having trouble posting pictures, any suggestions?
Thanks,
Bob
63Falconconvert
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by retired plumber on April 8th 2009, 3:01 pm

Bob
It is slow here at times. I remember the 57 Olds well. Went real fast with the J2 and hydrostick. Sounds like you had quite a lead sled. The bounce from extereme lowering like that was usually fixed (sort of) with shorter shocks. The truck in my avater is pearl white with purple metalflake stripe and painted outside in a viscrene shack I made. That was an experiance.
There used to be a faq here about posting pictures because they don't have the bandwidth to do it on the forum. I put my canopy pix on flicker and then tried to link to them but it didn't work. Another guy fixed it for me so they came up (see my post in projects about metallic paint). In there he tries to explain how but I am NOT really very computer literate comp LOL
I try to come here every day at least once to look around and answer questions or comment if I can.
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1004
Job/hobbies : retired honey does and the occasional custom car (old school)
Project : figuring out how to do metalflake
Registration date : 2008-04-27

View user profile http://glasaholic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by 63Falconconvert on April 13th 2009, 11:39 am

I was noticing that the paint on my rocker panels are really starting to flake. I may roll the rockers just to see how the "roll" process will work. The car is painted bright white and it's a dead nuts match to the rustoleum bright white.
63Falconconvert
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content