Please Help!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Please Help!

Post by itzaxj92 on May 1st 2009, 11:35 am

Ok, I have a Jeep Cherokee its Hunter Green and I want to paint it using the spray method. I see where Rustoleum has a Hunter Green Protective Enamel so thatís good for me! Iíve looked over the forum and I canít find exact step by step instructions (if its here Iím sorry for overseeing it) I would like to know what would be the best mix ratio for Florida climate? Do I have to primer? How many coats? Do I have to sand between coats? How long does it take to dry enough to wet sand it smooth? Can I use a gravity spray gun? And what size tip? Iím sorry for asking all these questions but my head hurts from hours of googling!

Thanks, Brandon
itzaxj92
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2009-05-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Please Help!

Post by retired plumber on May 1st 2009, 12:10 pm

Hi Brandon. Welcome to the forum. I will try to answer a few of your questions.
1...Don't know about a mix for florida but I would start with a 4 paint to 1 thinner and adjust from there.
2... The best base for new paint is the origional sanded paint . primer is also fine but I like to have everything the same shade. By that I mean, all light or all dark (not necessarly the same color tho). Sometimes you can see through the finished job and still see the different colors of the under base paint.
3...Usually 3-4 coats'
4...Not necessarly. Depends on how rough it is. Usually you wait untill the end when spraying. You don't want to have to clean the gun, etc and remask after each coat LOL.
5...It should say on the can
6...Yes
7...Not sure on this one. I have never sprayed rusto but for auto paint a 1.4mm is recommended for the finish paint coats. Primer calls for a larger one like 1.8 or 2 mm.
8...Check out some of my previous posts for more info.
If you haven't sprayed before I suggest you get a old hood from the junk yard and pratice a bit before trying your car. It looks easy but there IS a bit of a learning curve. Good luck
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1004
Job/hobbies : retired honey does and the occasional custom car (old school)
Project : figuring out how to do metalflake
Registration date : 2008-04-27

View user profile http://glasaholic.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Please Help!

Post by itzaxj92 on May 1st 2009, 12:51 pm

Thank you Mike! that was very helpful!
itzaxj92
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2009-05-01