Hello! Got some noob questions for you guys :D

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hello! Got some noob questions for you guys :D

Post by Lil Neon on May 10th 2009, 8:26 am

Hello everyone Very Happy I'm hoping to paint my 99 Neon Coupe, but I have some questions I'd like to shoot you before I dive into this.

This car is currently my primary means of transportation. I usually have about 3 days off a week; would I be able to apply a coat or two on my days off and still drive it to work? Is there a certain amount of time I have to wait after a coat/wetsand before I can drive it again?? And would it make it easier if I completely painted one part (i.e. the hood, trunk) before moving on to another part, given my time constraint?

If anyone else has been in a similar situation and could lend me some insight, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks Smile
Lil Neon
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 47
Job/hobbies : Electronics/Technician
Project : 1979 Datsun 280zx
Registration date : 2009-05-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Hello! Got some noob questions for you guys :D

Post by MR2Miach on May 10th 2009, 3:32 pm

You can certainly paint a section at a time and still daily drive it. I would practice on a spare hood or something from a junk yard so you could find out how long it takes to dry. Normally, someone could paint the car in the morning and then wetsand in the evening. Thus preparing the car for another coat of paint the following morning. If it is your only means of transportation, I would suggest, paint the car in thirds. Front (hood, fenders, bumper, anything from the windshield on forward.) Then middle (roof, doors, side skirts in applicable) then of course last being anything in the back of the car. Do each section on your days off each week until that section is finished with paint. Once the entire car is painted over however long of a time frame, do your last finish sanding and then polish. Only thing is, do not drive the car while the paint is wet or even tacky. Don't rush yourself, take plenty of time, and you should be fine.
MR2Miach
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 61
Job/hobbies : Very active MR2 Owner
Registration date : 2009-03-10

View user profile http://www.mr2miach.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Coconut Eater on May 10th 2009, 3:42 pm

Welcome!
When I painted my daily driver Nissan, I would start prepping in the morning on my days off. I started by taping up everything that I didn't want painted, then washed everything down with a mineral spirit-soaked rag, followed by a tack cloth. Mix your paint only when you are ready to apply it.
I'd apply 2-3 coats in the shade (direct sun application is not recommended), but by noon the place where I painted it was in full sunlight. The next day off I'd test the paint with a fingernail; if I poked it and it left an impression in the paint, I'd leave it alone until my next day off. If it didn't I'd start wet sanding.

This method saves mucho bucks, but is time consuming. I love it!

Coconut Eater
Rank
Rank

Job/hobbies : cars, trucks, planes, and guns
Project : 1992 Nissan Sentra SE, and 1984 Dodge D100
Registration date : 2007-12-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lil Neon on May 11th 2009, 1:25 am

Thanks for your replies Very Happy Once I get this started I'll post a project log. Thanks again for your help
Lil Neon
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lil Neon on May 11th 2009, 8:49 pm

One other question, right now the car is a really dark purple. I'm thinking about painting it either orange or gray. Will I need to use a primer?
Lil Neon
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MR2Miach on May 11th 2009, 11:15 pm

Primer is a tough one. A lot of folks have issues with paint sticking to the primers yet others have no problems. I personally have had no problems myself. Now to paint a lighter color I personally would go the extra step and use a light colored (gray) primer but only after I had all of my body work and prep sanding finished. If you don't feel comfortable with my answer, PM retired plumber. He is very talented with painting cars, he might have a better idea than myself.
MR2Miach
Rank
Rank

Back to top Go down

Post by Lil Neon on May 12th 2009, 2:39 am

I have to apply some bonda in a couple of areas, which primers will adhere to the bonda and to the rustoleum? And can I rattle can the primer or roll it?
Lil Neon
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MR2Miach on May 12th 2009, 2:45 am

I used the cheapo .97 cent walmart primer in rattle can form. Make sure you also prep sand the primer as well. Gotta have something for the paint to stick too.
MR2Miach
Rank
Rank

Back to top Go down

Post by Lil Neon on May 12th 2009, 7:26 am

Thanks again for your help Miach Very Happy I should have a project log up in a couple of weeks whenever I get back from vacation elephant Then I'm sure I'll have some more questions for you.
Lil Neon
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Coconut Eater on May 12th 2009, 2:30 pm

MR2Miach wrote:I used the cheapo .97 cent walmart primer in rattle can form. Make sure you also prep sand the primer as well. Gotta have something for the paint to stick too.
So did I, and it has held up for 2 years plus. It doesn't fill very well (it's a primer, not a primer filler) but does a decent job covering. On my next project I am going from red to white, so I will roll on some rusto gray primer. But I had no problem with wally world cheap primer.

Coconut Eater
Rank
Rank

Job/hobbies : cars, trucks, planes, and guns
Project : 1992 Nissan Sentra SE, and 1984 Dodge D100
Registration date : 2007-12-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by retired plumber on May 12th 2009, 4:00 pm

You really need to have the car one color if you are going to a much lighter color because the base coat sometimes show through. I did that on my ford truck. There were 4 sprayed coats of medium red metallic over two shades of primer. I thought it wouldn't make any difference but it did, at least I could see the difference. It wasen't much but enough to make me warn people about it.
Spray can primer (wally world, etc) goes on very thin and no, it is not a filler but works good to make everything one color.
I like to use a light gray primer regardless of the color I am painting because the underbase does influence the top coats. That is a trick the custom painters use. They spray a bright white coat (very often) before the color and it makes it pop more than a dark gray primer does. For us that means a LOT OF WORK and not worth it for what we are doing. Just use the lightest primer you can find and you will be fine.
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1004
Job/hobbies : retired honey does and the occasional custom car (old school)
Project : figuring out how to do metalflake
Registration date : 2008-04-27

View user profile http://glasaholic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lil Neon on May 13th 2009, 8:08 am

Thanks for the extra advice Very Happy I appreciate it.
Lil Neon
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content