First sprayed project

View previous topic View next topic Go down

First sprayed project

Post by 74 Elco on May 20th 2009, 12:49 pm

Here's my 3rd project with the rustoleum: a ugly 70's looking golf cart! I took this project on because I met this guy who had been shot in the head back in the 80's and is now mentally challenged... and this was his ride. I offered to his son that I could probably make it look a little nicer with rustoleum and that I would do it for $100 plus parts. I took it on not to make any money, but to get some experience with spraying rustoleum with my harbor freight gun I bought.

As a guy with two projects under my belt already rolling this stuff on ( el camino, and its camper) and now after having sprayed with a gun, I think I will probably not be rolling any more! I loved spraying. I used the 3:1 ratio I found on here most guys seemed to use, and I think it worked fine. My take on the idea it takes more time to mask for spraying vs rolling: Masking takes the most time for either method in actually masking the trim you dont want paint on; the next step is just covering up the windows with plastic and that doesn't take nearly as much time because its not as intricate and detailed as following a piece of chrome trim precisely along its edge. So I don't think its really much more time to mask the car up for spraying. But I had a air compressor all along, so I decided to go for it.

This is my first time using a hvlp gun so I'm not sure if my results are good bad or ugly for what you can achieve with these. But I do know that yesterday I was able to start spraying at 3:30, and by 5:00 i already had 3 coats on! With my el camino, that would have been 3 days rolling it because I never seemed to have the time in the day to roll two coats on.

On this, I did roll on the rustoleum metal primer, even though this thing is fiberglass. I wetsanded that with 400 before spraying this Gloss Almond. Here's 3 coats:

I'm pretty happy with the level of orange peel. And I think some of it is the actual base surface that I didn't get quite flat. But compared to when I rolled my el camino, I'm happy with this starting point of orange peel. The time saved for me is the greatest thing about spraying.

So I still have to color sand this and buff it to try to make it shine a little better, be a little more reflective. And the guy hasn't given me any money for supplies, so I still have to do some fiberglass repair, but I painted over it any way because I was anxious to spray!

So next I have to sand and paint the wheels, and deal with fixing the front end, then I get to spray some more!

Any suggestions?

Thanks folks
74 Elco
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2009-04-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: First sprayed project

Post by Nitcat on May 20th 2009, 4:21 pm

Interesting project, thanks for posting. What kind of mask are you wearing? Are you spraying in a backyard? Getting much overspray? I'm interested in seeing how it wet sands for you. Definitely sounds like a time saver.
Nitcat
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 21
Project : 63 Comet wagon, 64 Mercury Park Lane convertible, 62 Shasta camper, 67 Cougar XR7 4 speed
Registration date : 2008-01-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 74 Elco on May 20th 2009, 8:09 pm

I'm wearing a $40 3m mask from home depots paint dept. Yes I did spray this in my backyard, and overspray was not an issue, I couldn't even see the mist once it got about 5 feet away from the gun. And my asian neighbors that dont speak good english have no complaints yet Smile

Heres my gun, with a worthwhile gun stand that was a couple bucks that clamps onto the neck of the gun.

74 Elco
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 74 Elco on May 22nd 2009, 11:54 pm

Ok I'm midway thru prepping my damaged fiberglass. Maybe if anyone with fiberglass experience could help me out here.. I went to autozone and they have a resin jelly to use with the mat and cloth that I bought- if anyone has any words of wisdom for a fiberglass newbie I'm all ears.

So here's what I started with :

I went to work with that little air grinder, tried beveling the edges and tapering far away from the damged edges. From what I understand that allows you to lay up the fiberglass cloth up to the level surrounding sufaces and then smooth with filler from there.

Here's where I called it quits tonight:

I gave up trying to straighten a bent beam while laying on my back, next time I'll jack this thing up and hammer away with a bigger hammer- that should fix it smash

Anyone know how to get rid of the itchy burning feeling all over my arms and neck from the fiberglass? A shower didn't quite fix it!
Hopefully tomorrow I'll actually get to it and start laying up some fiberglass.
74 Elco
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by retired plumber on May 23rd 2009, 1:13 pm

Welcome to the wonderful world of fiberglass.LOL not at you but with you because I speak from experience. Actually most people do that the first time and the next time they cover up really good (long sleve shirt, cloth around neck,etc). A GOOD mask is a MUST. Take another shower but make it a cold (as much as you can stand) one. This way the pores in your skin won't open as much and the glass particles will come off easier
To fill the large low spots you can use most anything that will hold a shape. Even cardboard held in with tape will work. There should be 3 layers of matt or cloth put down and then a final coat of reson over that. Since you are doing this much work you should also grind down a ways into the cracks under the headlight also and fix them right.
I agree That spraying beats rolling, both for ease and speed but there are a lot of people on here that don't have access to the area or tools needed to spray. That is why they roll and the end results are the same.
Spraying has quite a learning curve as you are finding out and most people don't or won't take the time to learn . This is a perfect project for you to learn on. You just want it to look better (the best you can tho) but it dosen't have to be perfect. I do see a lot of peel but it looks like the origional fiberglass and they wern't to perticular about that stuff back then. The gun you use makes a huge difference in the outcome also. If its a cheap H.F. gun, usually they take 12-13 cfm to work right and if your compressor puts out that much you are golden but......... If not you can spray a bit and stop and let the compressor catch up. You can tell when you are running out of pressure when it starts making lots of orange peel. Search my previous threads about spraying for more pointers.
I think its neat you are helping the guy out.
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1004
Job/hobbies : retired honey does and the occasional custom car (old school)
Project : figuring out how to do metalflake
Registration date : 2008-04-27

View user profile http://glasaholic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by megaglow_z on May 23rd 2009, 10:30 pm

^^^^
Always good info man!
Ya long sleeves and a mask are a definite!
megaglow_z
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

Number of posts : 261
Job/hobbies : Autoglass tech
Project : 81 Yota
Registration date : 2007-12-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by trimagnum on May 25th 2009, 12:11 am

One thing that also helps to get the glass out of your skin is duct tape. I found this out building the trike not only did the fiberglass get me but the foam board the body is made from because glass is in it too.

It's fun to work with tho even with the itching.
trimagnum
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2009-05-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 74 Elco on May 26th 2009, 3:08 am

Thanks for the help guys. And I don't knock anyone for rolling vs spraying. If my situation ever changes I would roll in a heart beat. I don't hate rolling, but I now love spraying. And its all about cheap for me anyway.

Well I just about finished this fiberglass project. I didn't straighten the front frame damage out so thus my fiberglass repair looks quite tweaked but I learned a lot and I think it looks better than what was there before. I'm under pressure to get this thing on the tow truck by tomorrow, so here's where I'm at and where I was:

Last addition of mat fiberglass. Used bondo jelly resin:

Filled, filled, and filled some more:

Not identical to the opposite side of the cart but good enough for me. I really enjoyed working with the fiberglass and look forward
to my next project with it, and like rolling paint or spraying it cheap- the next project should got smoother and better I hope.

Tomorrow and have to sand my primer and respray this cart another 2 or 3 times and then paint the wheels black.
Then I'll be on the hunt for my next project!
74 Elco
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by retired plumber on May 27th 2009, 11:25 am

As long as your happy with it. It was a great learning project for you. I give you thumbs up for even trying it and another applaude for helping your handicaped guy out.
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by 74 Elco on May 28th 2009, 10:41 pm

Ok I'm done! Late as always but I'm done.

Thanks mike for the nice words. I wish it'd turned out a little nicer, but I now realize every panel on this thing was warped and I probably would have been better off putting a skim coat of filler on every panel and go from there. There's a lot of little imperfections and ripples,, and then there's my spraying errors. But its experience in the bag and I'm sure the owner will probably be ok with it. Thanks for your help everyone.

74 Elco
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by retired plumber on May 29th 2009, 12:08 pm

Thats what we are all about here, helping each other. Came out pretty nice. I like it but this is just me, I would have put a stripe along the body line or something fancy on it because to me it looks plain. But then I am kind of old school and grew up with candy and metalflake and FLAMES .
(I realize you were out of time tho so I will let it go this time lol! )
Again , nice job and good luck on your next project.
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Lil Neon on May 31st 2009, 3:36 pm

This project turned out great! It's definitely a major improvement Very Happy I agree with Mike, some racing stripes would have been awesome! lol!
Lil Neon
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 47
Job/hobbies : Electronics/Technician
Project : 1979 Datsun 280zx
Registration date : 2009-05-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content