Hey!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hey!

Post by tek on May 28th 2009, 4:03 am

I have been reading the forums here for the last few hours and am very excited to get started on my own car(88 Crx) that is in DIRE need of paint(among other things ;p)

I am having some trouble selecting a paint though. Personally i always liked flat or almost flat black, i have seen rusto has a color named "Semi Flat Black" Has anyone used this color yet on their vehicle? would love some feedback on that color, pics would be nice. I would like a nice black that looks finished, so its somewhat flat but doesnt look as if its just primered.

Also is it advisable to paint with a black? i have seen lots of cars turn out great with the black paint but the information isnt always available as to what amount of prep/condition of the car prior to paint.

I also come from some traditional auto paint experience and all i have learned is that if the prep/car itself isnt there then black paint is your ENEMY as it tends to show the most imperfections. How do you find this with rustoleum? I have been leaning more towards a standard white as it will be the most forgiving, still not sure.

Thanks!
tek
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2009-05-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Hey!

Post by retired plumber on May 28th 2009, 4:37 pm

Check out megaglow_z's posts. He did a semi (flat) black job on his toyota truck and it came out NICE. Yes, you want a semi gloss finish, not primer because primer is porus and paint isn't. They both look about the same. Semi is what all the "rat rods" are painted with.
Black is a biotch and WILL SHOW any problems under it. With that being said, black can be very beautiful if the prep work is perfect and prep is 90% of any paint job. I have not used semi before but I would think it wouldn't show quite as much as a shiny finish. Actually gloss white will show imperfections also but not as bad as black. A light pastel is best for hiding bad bodywork.
By the way, welcome to the forum hi .
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1004
Job/hobbies : retired honey does and the occasional custom car (old school)
Project : figuring out how to do metalflake
Registration date : 2008-04-27

View user profile http://glasaholic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by megaglow_z on May 28th 2009, 7:58 pm

Hey!
You do not want to use semi-flat on it. its to porous for what a car goes through.

You want to use semi-gloss.
Check out my build thread here and on toyota minis.

here = http://www.rolledon.com/projects-f2/81-toyota-old-school-longbed-mini-t193.htm

toyota minis = http://www.toyotaminis.com/forum/showthread.php?t=587

semi-gloss is a lot more forgiving then gloss, and it will show some, but if you get a little stuff in the paint, or your sanding is not as smooth as it should be, the semi-gloss will hide a lot of it Smile

If you have ANY questions, feel free to ask away man!
megaglow_z
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

Number of posts : 261
Job/hobbies : Autoglass tech
Project : 81 Yota
Registration date : 2007-12-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tek on May 29th 2009, 3:33 am

Thanks for the advice, and yes i was thinking about the Rustoleum Semi-Gloss Black not semi flat, nice catch.

I have decided, however, to go with a white. Yes nothing spectacular, but i think my crx will look great in white(they usually do) with black accented plastics and bumper. I will most likely paint the hood black as well as it is very far beyond repair(ok more time that its worth) just to see if i like the color scheme.

I will post up some "Before" pictures before i get into it so we can get some progress and sense of where it came from.

Oh and Mike what do you mean by a "light pastel" color hiding the defects the best? Would that be more of the canvas white that i have seen people use recently?
tek
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2009-05-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by retired plumber on May 29th 2009, 11:57 am

If your hood is really bad, price one at a pull-your-own wrecking yard. I have bought a couple for $35-$50.
A light pastel is a pale color. Basically a white with a color tint. I think it would have a bit more color to it than a canvas white. You could mix your own with white and add color of choice untill you like it. Just a suggestion.
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1004
Job/hobbies : retired honey does and the occasional custom car (old school)
Project : figuring out how to do metalflake
Registration date : 2008-04-27

View user profile http://glasaholic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by megaglow_z on May 31st 2009, 6:28 pm

retired plumber wrote:If your hood is really bad, price one at a pull-your-own wrecking yard. I have bought a couple for $35-$50.
A light pastel is a pale color. Basically a white with a color tint. I think it would have a bit more color to it than a canvas white. You could mix your own with white and add color of choice until you like it. Just a suggestion.
Mike

I had a 75 Toyota corolla wagon that was painted "mint white" from the factory.
looked white till it snowed one year Rolling Eyes

Also came in "Arctic white" . it had a blue tint to it.
just stay away from red, unless you want a pink car that is...lol

Mind you, its not enough color to actually tell its a color. rather just enough to soften it.
It makes the color a little softer and hides things a little better.
I almost did the Toyota in Arctic white, but i have owned 6 white cars....lol
megaglow_z
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

Number of posts : 261
Job/hobbies : Autoglass tech
Project : 81 Yota
Registration date : 2007-12-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content